MSE News: Government moves towards new monthly benefit system

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
183 replies 14.5K views

Replies

• jamespirjamespir Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sunnyone wrote: »
    But your partner does and they are not just for her so your household gets significant benefit help.

i dont think it does she gets dla that she gets but it not signifcant
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Fiver29Fiver29 Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    I see no problem with making benefits monthly. As with everything it might take a short while to get used to, but it'll soon become par for the course.
    Moving onto a better place...Ciao :wave:
  • sunnyonesunnyone Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    jamespir wrote: »
    i dont think it does she gets dla that she gets but it not signifcant

Dont you have a child and get benefits for the child alongside your partners benefits?
  • My benefits are paid monthly (DLA) fortnighlty (IS) weekly (IB)
    Personally monthly payments would be simpler for me as I am able to budget for monthly bills. However, I do know some people who would have real difficulties with monthly payments. some do get help from support workers etc but some are losing this help due to cutbacks. I would welcome monthly payments but would like to see some provision made to those who need help. perhaps if the money saved by paying some claimants monthly could be used to help those who are vulnerable unlikely, the system may be a bit fairer and easir. Sadly I doubt this will happen
    Also please can we all remember that the forum is a means to help each other and not one to be used to have digs at each other because we do / don't get benefits or do / don't the monthly payments. Some of the comments on here are quite unecessary and don't help the discussion
    just my 2p's worth :o
  • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaverwouldbeqaulitymoneysaver Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NASA wrote: »
    Surely even if you are paid twice a month (or so) then that is a risk?

Not a valid point IMO.
    I like your honesty at least you can try to regulate this difficult mental illness. I hope there are things you can do so you have a more even standard of living throughout the month.:beer::money:
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • john539john539 Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry Universal Credit could take 10 years to be introduce & will probably disappear into a black hole, never to reappear, as it will be a nightmare to get working.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14891655
    Even if approved, many of the changes could take 10 years to fully come into effect.

Separately the Commons public accounts committee has questioned whether the Department of Work and Pensions can make projected savings of £2.7bn by 2015.

The cross-party group of MPs said officials "lack a clear plan" to make savings and were relying on a new IT system and "optimistic" assumptions about an increase in claims being made online.

Nobody thought to check it was possible to implement and the unintended consequences. rolleyes.gif
  • MorglinMorglin Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they ever do change all benefits to 4 weekly (doubtful), there are always transitional systems put in place - it won't mean anyone goes without funds for two weeks, or three weeks, for the new payment cycle.

There has always been, and I assume will still be, arrangements for weekly payments to be put in place, in certain circumstances, upon supported request - severe hardship and mental health issues, being two of them.

As for "Universal Credit" - there is every chance this will amended so much, via the Lords, it will become pointless and overly expensive, the computer system is causing endless problems which may not be resolved, and this whole idea will then be quietly kicked into the long grass for another day............:whistle:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8758591/Universal-credit-benefits-reform-risks-being-another-Whitehall-slip-up.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jun/19/universal-credit-2013-delivery-doubt

UC, if introduced in any way, will not replace all of the current benefits anyway - DLA and elderly benefits are not affected, and nor are contributory sickness benefits. Child Benefit remains an independent benefit.

It is basically intended as one umbrella for means tested benefits only - but one that's not likely to happen as planned..

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • RazWazRazWaz Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Why are people working on the basis that everyone in work gets paid monthly? It's not the case at all. The easiest period I had with money was when I was working (Lost my job just before christmas) as I got my wages paid weekly. I also had my tax credits weekly, then my LHA and DLA paid monthly, making an average of 10 payments a month.

I often get periods where I don't really know what I am doing, sometimes they last an hour, sometimes a week. I often hurt myself during those periods, and money often goes missing. It didn't matter too much when I was working as if I spent what I had, I had another payment coming a maximum of 4 days later, and although I had to make it stretch a lot further, I was still able to cover the bills.

I find it hard enough now to deal with only 4 payments a month (2xJSA, 1LHA and 1DLA) and would much prefer everything to be changed to weekly payments than monthly.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got to say when I was temping and getting paid weekly I thought it was harder to budget than getting paid monthly.

As I said before I had to budget every week to leave enough to pay the monthly bills, where monthly money goes in bills go out and the rest is mine.

Either way if I was getting free money I would accept it however they wanted to pay it.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back to me previous point if I was getting money for nothing I would accept how it was paid to me and be greatful.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance