edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
183 replies 14.5K views

Replies

• john539john539 Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    Got to say when I was temping and getting paid weekly I thought it was harder to budget than getting paid monthly.

As I said before I had to budget every week to leave enough to pay the monthly bills, where monthly money goes in bills go out and the rest is mine.

Either way if I was getting free money I would accept it however they wanted to pay it.
    There isn't a one size fits all & they should not force monthly payments on people like this as it will inevitably cause many people problems in the silly simplistic notion it somehow "prepares people for the world of work".

Benefits are not enough to live on, there will often be a shortfall to pay bills or buy necessities, so the more regular fortnightly payments means people who have no money have less time to wait.

It's basic maths.

Comparing the day to day need to pay bills, buy necessities when people have run out of money with a notion it prepares people for work in future, it is clear which one is most important which is the day to day need to survive.

Some people may prefer monthly payments, many will prefer/need more frequent fortnightly payments to help with budgeting.
    17K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to me previous point if I was getting money for nothing I would accept how it was paid to me and be greatful.
    That's not the point.

The point is to create a system which works that does not create unnecessary problems.

You are not millions of people. ;)
  • shegirlshegirl Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    john539 wrote: »
    There isn't a one size fits all & they should not force monthly payments on people like this as it will inevitably cause many people problems in the silly simplistic notion it somehow "prepares people for the world of work".

Benefits are not enough to live on, there will often be a shortfall to pay bills or buy necessities, so the more regular fortnightly payments means people who have no money have less time to wait.

It's basic maths.

Comparing the day to day need to pay bills, buy necessities when people have run out of money with a notion it prepares people for work in future, it is clear which one is most important which is the day to day need to survive.

Some people may prefer monthly payments, many will prefer/need more frequent fortnightly payments to help with budgeting.

For the majority of people,they are.
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still can't see the problem.

I get £800 or 4x£200 I end up in the same place, its not hard to figure the basic maths.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Fiver29Fiver29 Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    That's not the point.

The point is to create a system which works that does not create unnecessary problems.

You are not millions of people. ;)

Millions of people get paid monthly and have no problems.

The arguments about money being delayed by mistakes, etc, causing people to be overdrawn are pointless, because the same can happen to employees too.
    Moving onto a better place...Ciao :wave:
    17K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fiver29 wrote: »
    Millions of people get paid monthly and have no problems.

The arguments about money being delayed by mistakes, etc, causing people to be overdrawn are pointless, because the same can happen to employees too.
    That does not mean it will not be a problem for many people on benefits, many of whom have serious problems. ;)
    17K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still can't see the problem.

I get £800 or 4x£200 I end up in the same place, its not hard to figure the basic maths.
    Just because you can't see a problem, does not mean there won't be a problem. ;)
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just because you can't see a problem, does not mean there won't be a problem. ;)

Just because you can see a problem, does not mean there will be a problem. ;)
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Fiver29Fiver29 Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    That does not mean it will not be a problem for many people on benefits, many of whom have serious problems. ;)

It doesn't mean it will be a problem either.
    Moving onto a better place...Ciao :wave:
    17K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because you can see a problem, does not mean there will be a problem. ;)
    Fiver29 wrote: »
    It doesn't mean it will be a problem either.
    That's your problem. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides