Orange Swapables - anyone used yet?

Options

Comments

• 31satara
    Options
    Hi Michael - The sky sports is reasonable on wifi, needs a good signal when on the network though. Does buffer and pixilate? sometimes. Certainly usable and handy as an extra.
  • miele_2
    miele_2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2011 at 12:28AM
    Options
    Very unimpressed so far! I have a nokia lumia 800 - the only swapables that are available are go commute, deezer & russel grant astrology!!??? :eek:

So I thought I would try go commute; installed it then it says this app is not compatible for my phone !!!!!

There isn't an option to remove it/swap it either. So even though it doesn't work on my mobile I can't change it until 31 days time!!

What a load of rubbish! :mad: waste of time.

Please orange make some decent apps for windows mobile 7.5 available asap!!
    :hello: Trying my best to money save! :j
    :grinheart Sealed Pot Challenge 6 #2100 :grinheart
  • Sluicer
    Sluicer Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 December 2011 at 7:42PM
    Options
    miele wrote: »
    Very unimpressed so far! I have a nokia lumia 800 - the only swapables that are available are go commute, deezer & russel grant astrology!!??? :eek:

So I thought I would try go commute; installed it then it says this app is not compatible for my phone !!!!!

There isn't an option to remove it/swap it either. So even though it doesn't work on my mobile I can't change it until 31 days time!!

What a load of rubbish! :mad: waste of time.

Please orange make some decent apps for windows mobile 7.5 available asap!!

I have to agree with all of the above. I upgraded my talk plan to Panther 31 around 10 days ago and the changes took effect today. I selected the Mobile TV and Sky Sports Mobile TV. This was after only having been able to see the Russell Grant offering for most of the day.

It was only AFTER cofirming the selection for the Mobile TV, a little message appeared - telling me that my handset (Samsung Galaxy S II) was incompatible with it!!!

It seems I'm stuck with something I can't use for the next 31 days...
  • Bawbag74
    Options
    pcyuljr wrote: »
    If somebody could please clarify the following for me I would much appreciate it.

1) If I am using 3G sat in my car and watch Sky Sports 1 does this come out of 750mb allowance OR is it completely free (based on the fair use policy) as it is one of my swapables? On a side point, I assume my data manager will be unable to differentiate between the two though and thus it will become impossible to judge how much data I have used and manage my allowance.

2) How do people access their swapables? At the moment I click on the 'Your Orange' app, then click on 'More' then 'Orange World' then 'Your Orange' and finally 'Your Swapables'. Obviously not the most convenient or smooth way to access them.

3) Has anybody used the Games swapables? The offer is being able to download 2 games a month. However when I have selected a game to download it says I will be charged (eg a £1) and that I have to enter a code to confirm payment. I can't see anywhere the option for free downloads.

Over WIFI it wont use your allocated data and you can bookmark your swapables in web browser so easier to get to.
    Lastly I have the games swapable and I got charged £8 for 2 games- something which Orange is looking into as I can see it on my monthly charges but they cant for some reason.

Sky sports is a bit hit and miss, it tends to not work for about 90 minutes for a football game and you get some injury time coverage and when theres no sport on at all it seems to work ok. I only got it for F1 next year so hopefully all probs will be sorted and dont get 'technical error' try in 5 minutes or error code 101 constantly.
  • odeas
    Options
    For people running android and struggling to get this running I'd suggest trying this:

hxxp://mobilereviewsite.co.uk/how-to-get-orange-swapables-like-sky-sports-on-galaxy-nexus/
    (^^ please replace hxxp with http to create working link, my post count isn't high enough!)

Though I can confirm it works on a Samsung Galaxy S2 so Sluicer you should have no problems unless your not using the original browser/stock rom?
  • and21ob
    Options
    I have spent weeks just trying to actually get any swapable at all.

All I get on the swapable page is Russell Grant, no Sky Sports, Deezer, or anything else.

I did get a link to a games page once, but no luck there.

I have a Galaxy Note and have done this with WiFi disabled. I've tried odeas's suggestion, but Dolphin was the same. (Thanks anyway odeas).

Orange customer service is no assistance whatsoever.

Hope someone can advise, as I might just have to opt for Russell Grants horoscope swapable and see if he predicts this is the only one I'll ever be able to get.
  • Totality
    Totality Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry for the bump but a Google search did me no good.

I've been reading The Times via Orange Swapable and yesterday it stopped working, telling me that my trial was over. I figured this may just be because I'd had the app for a month, but even uninstalling/reinstalling via Orange World won't get it working again.

I can't see anything on the Orange site suggesting this was only the trial version and that I can only use it once, for a month?
  • michaeljs
    michaeljs Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    @ 31satara - a belated thank you for responding to my question. I did read your answer shortly after you posted it, but have only now had a chance to post back on here. Partly based on your positive feedback, I took the plunge and moved to Orange early December. I have a Samsung galaxy s2 and signed up to Sky sports and the times swapables. Thank you.

For others:

The sky sports works quite well 99% of the time (when I've tried it at least). I last watched newcastle lose to liverpool and hope to see them do better tonight against ManU. Yes the image is pixellated sometimes, but can you really expect to get television quality on your mobile phone? I'm perfectly happy with it. I never intended to spend hours every day watching sky sports - if I was to attempt to this I can see that I'd very quickly give up as the quality is not good enough for extended viewing, but let me reiterate that it's good enough to watch the occasional game.

The Times isn't so good, for me at least. The app works fine and the news is updated regularly, but it's very difficult (in fact it may not even be possible) to read that day's paper on the app. I prefer the guardian app, which is completely free, so i plan to swap the times for another swapable when I can. probably deezer.

When first turning on sky sports you must be on 3G, but you can then swap to wifi if required. I'm sure that when i signed up to sky sports there was a message to say that your 3G data allowance is not used for sky sports, ie: watching sky sports is completely free, it does not eat into your allowance.

I have tried watching over wifi, but so far 3G has offered better quality.
  • richardp75
    Options
    Hi there,

I just had the same problems other people like and21ob have had... when accessing Orange swapables on my Samsung Note, I was getting a choice of just the Russell Grant astrology option.

Tried calling Orange who were unusually hopeless (they normally sort me out ok). The person said that (a) Orangeworld stuff is all automated so nothing she could do and (b) the Note wasn't even on their list of compatible and non-compatible phones (seeing as they were selling it in their shop, you'd think they would test it and enable it, but Orange don't seem to be all that well joined up across their various websites).

Anyway, I tried the solution outlined on the link Odeas posted...

mobilereviewsite.co.uk/how-to-get-orange-swapables-like-sky-sports-on-galaxy-nexus/

... and it now works perfectly for me, I can get onto it and watch the Sky Sports broadcasts. The quality is a bit blocky, but I guess that is to be expected.

Like someone else in the thread mentioned, I only switched to Panther to get this swapable in the hope the new Sky F1 channel will be included in it. No sign of that being mentioned at the moment, but am hoping that is just because the channel hasn't launched yet and it will be added in the Spring... we'll see!
  • Derek_Hollis
    Options
    I have just changed my plan to a panther and knew nothing about swappables. My phone is an iPhone. I received a text from Orange about swappables... but I have read that swappables don't work on the iPhone...! See (well I was going to post the link but this site won't let me post a link!!!) . Anybody have an iPhone know if swappables work or not? And if so would wifi usage be free i.e. not taken from monthly internet allowance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure