14 year old son in a strop-again!

Options

Comments

• crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Options
    mrshappy wrote: »
    His pocket money goes into his bank by DD on the first of the month (trying to teach him the monthly budgeting thing:money:)
    and I totally agree about National Service-it would do him the world of good!

Sure would and many another teenagers could benefit from a stint of this to ! :D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh yeah.. the armed forces where STIs are rife and promiscuity is almost a requirement .. my brother couldnt keep up the notch count so left...

I wasnt comfortable with my 19 y/o staying here with his gf.. it just didnt sit right.. though I did let them. Both parties are underage though so I could not allow it either.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    crazyguy wrote: »
    Dock his pocket money until he gets out of his strop.

I say bring back National Service !

Now I think this is a massive over reaction. Although it depends on what the 'strop' is, if he's just choosing not to talk to his parents then I don't see why he should lose his pocket money for this. It really isn't fair to punish your child because they don't agree with your decision and choose not to talk to you for a while.
  • milliebear00001
    Options
    I think I would allow her to stay, but I would want to talk with her parents first.

If she was my daughter of that age, I would be pretty annoyed that a boy's parents had allowed her to stay without talking to me first - she could be telling them anything.
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 September 2011 at 11:07PM
    Options
    Another vote here for your house, your rules!

I think the problem I would have is setting a precedent. They may only be friends but what if, in a few months, it's someone else and the 'but you let X stay so don't see the problem'. DS, aged 15 (youngest of three with two older sisters) has a GF and I am very strict with them (as I was with my girls). They do spend time in his room but we have a strict 'open door' policy and I seem to need to sort the airing cupboard / bathroom / my room a lot when she is round :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. She has a bit of a problem with it but hey - I've got broad shoulders :D
  • bluenoseam
    Options
    thinking back to my 14 year old self would be enough to give me my answer - not a snowballs chance!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mrshappy wrote: »
    thanks everyone for your quick replies, she has gone home-probably couldn't be bothered with him in a grump, lol. I feel a bit mean, she is a nice girl, but this isn't the first time I have had this conversation with him, he wanted to stay at hers recently and was told no then as well.
    I think you have done the right thing. There are enough unplanned teenage conceptions in this country - the highest rate in Europe in fact - so you are right to be responsible. Innocent intentions can have a way of being undermined at that age...
    I think I would allow her to stay, but I would want to talk with her parents first.
    I would speak to her parents and communicate your concerns about stay-overs, they should thank you for it and maintain a consistent line.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I would think something could happen day or night... Does not matter what time it is, maybe when you pop out...
    I'm 22 and that's what we did haha
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 September 2011 at 11:10PM
    Options
    o and had dd at 18/19.
  • jess1974
    jess1974 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Options
    Awwww how cute, i have a 14 year old boy so i feel your pain..................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport