14 year old son in a strop-again!

Options
mrshappy
mrshappy Posts: 981 Forumite
edited 10 September 2011 at 9:31PM in Marriage, relationships & families
What a boy-I'm totally worn out, lol. Yet again we have had a discussion which has ended up with him thinking that I am over reacting and don't trust him etc.
He is best friends with a girl, they spend a lot of time together and that's fine, however tonight he has asked if she can stay over, i have said no and explained to him that I trust him, but he's a boy, she's a girl, they both have mad teenage hormones going on and that I don't feel that it is appropriate for her to stay overnight, he is fuming that I don't trust him as he says they would just be playing the x-box.
I feel that I'm in the right (as always;)) but would be interested in others opinions

Oh, I have just seen that I can add a poll!

Would you be comfortable with your 14 yo sons 15 yo female friend staying overnight? 136 votes

Yes
19% 27 votes
No
80% 109 votes

Comments

• balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Is she a friend or a girlfriend? Does he have boys who are friends who get to sleep over?
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Options
    I wouldn't let them sleep in the same room, but otherwise wouldn't have a problem with it.
  • thegirlintheattic
    thegirlintheattic Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2011 at 9:35PM
    Options
    It is a tough one.

Could you arrange for her to stay late and you drive her home?
    Any chance she can sleep with a DD? In a separate room?

At the same age I was regularly going camping with boys and nothing ever happened, but in the end you know your son best, and you have to set his moral guidance.

Have you asked him why he wants the sleepover? Is it for more x-box time? because he feels it's unfair others can have a sleepover with their best friends?
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • jillymit
    Options
    Stick to your guns.
    Do what feels right for you, it's your house, your rules.
  • mrshappy
    Options
    Is she a friend or a girlfriend? Does he have boys who are friends who get to sleep over?

They say they are just friends, he does have male friends staying over, but usually 3 or 4 at a time, and they stay up playing the xbox and eating all night!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Your home (I know it's his too) your rules, I wouldn't feel comfortable with this either.

14 year olds know everything don't they? what do her parents think?
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Your house, your rules, end of

And, in reality, it doesn't really matter if you are 'right' or ' wrong' as long as you are the same everyday.

Teenagers need to know where the lines are and to know that they don't change. He will kick at them and have a few strops about it buts thats just part of growing up.

Oh and there is generally nothing wrong with teenagers that a few years growing up won't cure.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they're friends rather than bf/gf I would let her sleep over no prob, but probably not in his room. Does he even have two beds in his room?

Only you know your son though and they type of relationship they have. No.2 twin has a friend who is a girl, I trust him, and her and would probably let her stay in his room, they really are just friends and have no interest in each other that way. No.1 twin I wouldn't trust with a bargepole, let alone a girl in his room :D
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Ravenlady_2
    Options
    I had sleep overs with boys and girls, boys were allowed to stay in my room but the door was taken off the hinges, not that I would dream of doing it with my parents in the house. My best friend at 15 was the boy next door, we had sleepovers from about the age of 8 even topped and tailed a few times but from the age of around 13 the door came off, even with girls just to make sure we were not smoking crack, doing a ouija board or anything 'experimental'
    Little Person Number 4 Due March 2012
    Little Person Number 3 Born Feb 2011
    Little Lump Born 2006
    Big Lump born 2002
  • mrshappy
    Options
    It is a tough one.

Could you arrange for her to stay late and you drive her home?
    Any chance she can sleep with a DD? In a separate room?

At the same age I was regularly going camping with boys and nothing ever happened, but in the end you know your son best, and you have to set his moral guidance.

Have you asked him why he wants the sleepover? Is it for more x-box time? because he feels it's unfair others can have a sleepover with their best friends?

I offered the late stay and lift home, but in true teenager style he refused-it was his way or the highway, lol, like mother like son! I do trust him, we have a very open and honest relationship, I just feel a bit uncomfortable about her staying over.
    I like to think I have done a good job with his morals, but I work with young people which I think makes me a bit more wise to what they may possibly get up to!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure