Yodel - shockingly bad - email address anyone?

Options

Comments

• DontGiveUp2011
    Options
    Hikilu wrote: »
    OK so I know Yodel have their problems but for gods sake if you order something online, the most basic requirement is that you are at home to take delivery. Do you know how many deliveries a courier has to make in a day? There simply isn't enough time to ring everyone to make the delivery which you know is on its way. Next time just be at home or have it delivered at work or have it left safe somewhere. This is the best advice you will get from anyone!

I stayed in all day today to make sure I was available to sign for my Yodel delivery. No one came to the door at all. I didn't see a van either.
    I get a text message later saying my parcel was unable to be delivered to my address and has been left with a neighbour! What absolute rubbish, I had to go online to find out what number they'd delivered to because there was no card posted to my house.

This item needs a signature - Royal Mail won't deliver unless you show ID for the signature etc. Yodel are hopeless!! I have no idea who lives at the house they delivered to, I've just been round and no one is there.
    What happens if I can't get my parcel back??? :mad::mad:

Very basic requirement of a delivery driver - to deliver to the correct house!!!!! :mad:
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I stayed in all day today to make sure I was available to sign for my Yodel delivery. No one came to the door at all. I didn't see a van either.
    I get a text message later saying my parcel was unable to be delivered to my address and has been left with a neighbour! What absolute rubbish, I had to go online to find out what number they'd delivered to because there was no card posted to my house.

This item needs a signature - Royal Mail won't deliver unless you show ID for the signature etc. Yodel are hopeless!! I have no idea who lives at the house they delivered to, I've just been round and no one is there.

Very basic requirement of a delivery driver - to deliver to the correct house!!!!! :mad:

Absolute nonsense.
  • Nessun_Dorma
    Nessun_Dorma Posts: 6,436 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    You seem to be branching off into the twilight zone.
    I would suggest customers follow the couriers given services. Whether thats leave safe,redelivery,collection or whatever.
    My reply was to a post suggesting people have to meet this requirement

So why exactly do you feel the need to question me on the simple fact of not always being able to be home?

Erm....that's not what you were implying.

You were asking how you should know when to be at home:

How do you make sure you are home?

Then you questioned me about not knowing when to be at home and what to do if you have to make arrangements at short notice:

So the tracking updates in the morning to say its on delivery.
    I just phone work and say I wont be in?

So, I think you were being a little disingenuous there.
  • Nessun_Dorma
    Nessun_Dorma Posts: 6,436 Forumite
    Options

Err....since when?
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hikilu wrote: »
    OK so I know Yodel have their problems but for gods sake if you order something online, the most basic requirement is that you are at home to take delivery. Do you know how many deliveries a courier has to make in a day? There simply isn't enough time to ring everyone to make the delivery which you know is on its way. Next time just be at home or have it delivered at work or have it left safe somewhere. This is the best advice you will get from anyone!

I'm amazed how often this ridiculous argument comes up. Flawed on 2 levels:-
    1. Yodel or their drivers frequently don't try to deliver on the dya they say they will - and worse, some will lie about having tried to deliver.
    2. When I order online for home delivery, it is an accepted part of the delivery T&Cs that if I'm not in, redelivery can be attempted on another date. If yodel's employees can't accept that, then they should only handle deliveries to dropoff locations, or work for other firms which insist you ARE in on the appointed day, AND 99% of the time do deliver when they say they will.

Just because I order something does not mean I am beholden to staying in my house 24 hours a day for the next 5 days in case Yodel decide to deliver that day.

I suppose at least you didn't try the old "don't be so lazy, get down the shops and get some exercise" argument that some of the people trotting out this nonsense come up with. Not everything is available locally.
  • Nessun_Dorma
    Options
    gwapenut wrote: »
    I'm amazed how often this ridiculous argument comes up. Flawed on 2 levels:-
    1. Yodel or their drivers frequently don't try to deliver on the dya they say they will - and worse, some will lie about having tried to deliver.
    2. When I order online for home delivery, it is an accepted part of the delivery T&Cs that if I'm not in, redelivery can be attempted on another date. If yodel's employees can't accept that, then they should only handle deliveries to dropoff locations, or work for other firms which insist you ARE in on the appointed day, AND 99% of the time do deliver when they say they will.

Just because I order something does not mean I am beholden to staying in my house 24 hours a day for the next 5 days in case Yodel decide to deliver that day.

I suppose at least you didn't try the old "don't be so lazy, get down the shops and get some exercise" argument that some of the people trotting out this nonsense come up with. Not everything is available locally.

As has been highlighted over the last few days, all of this costs the couriers money.

Your first example, is utter nonsense. Just because a few parcels don't get delivered, that is no reason to use that as an excuse. The vast majority of parcels do get delivered on time, so to use that as a reason to be obnoxious, is a bit disingenuous.

Your second example, simply does no exist. I have just had a look at a few of the companies I order from and none of them state in their terms and conditions that they will attempt to deliver three times.

I am pretty sure that if the couriers were to charge you for failed deliveries, you would make sure you were at home.
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2016 at 9:05PM
    Options
    Try again. What I find obnoxious is that former CEO who used to 'run' yodel explaining away his bad Xmas by saying customers weren't in when parcels were delivered, just weeks after I'd sat in and waited 4 days in a row, all day, only for the lying courier to report, without visiting, that no one was in and a card had been left. 3 days in a row. that's 72 hours you expect me to wait in hoping that the lies stop and that someone starts doing their job. at least it gave the ostrich-like CEO a good excuse I suppose, so long as he didn't dig too deep looking for evidence of what his couriers were telling him.

In terms of redelivery, you didn't look very hard. First link I clicked.
    http://www.yodel.co.uk/help/

"If we don't hear from you we'll automatically re-attempt delivery on the next working day. We attempt delivery up to three times, after which you'll need to arrange to collect it from your local depot."

If couriers tried to charge me when they didn't even attempt to do their job, I'd have them for fraud. Of course most are excellent and don't lie, but redelivery charges would open a massive legal can of worms because of the few bad apples.

So, thanks for the preachy response, but maybe learn how to read courier FAQs before telling others that they're talking nonsense?
  • nkkingston
    Options
    if Yodel paid their couriers better, they'd be under less pressure to claim they'd delivered parcels they hadn't and more able to try deliveries a second time. I've had more than one upset driver call me when I've not been in (and had no warning the parcel was due to be delivered that day, because it was a gift so I wasn't the one receiving that information) because if they can't make the delivery they don't get paid. Ethical businesses shouldn't use them, in my opinion. How they squeak it past the minimum wage legislation I don't know.
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • Nessun_Dorma
    Options
    nkkingston wrote: »
    if Yodel paid their couriers better, they'd be under less pressure to claim they'd delivered parcels they hadn't and more able to try deliveries a second time. I've had more than one upset driver call me when I've not been in (and had no warning the parcel was due to be delivered that day, because it was a gift so I wasn't the one receiving that information) because if they can't make the delivery they don't get paid. Ethical businesses shouldn't use them, in my opinion. How they squeak it past the minimum wage legislation I don't know.

Because self-employed workers are not entitled to the right of such protection.
  • letsbehonest
    Options
    My Yodel delivery driver tells me never to use Yodel as choice because they are absolute rubbish,,,, his words
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport