PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Old style Preparations for Christmas 2011!!

Options

Comments

• Evie74_2
    Evie74_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    JennyP - what a lovely idea, I think they would be great presents for my DDs to make for their grandparents this year - thank you! :T

Evie
    "Live simply, so that others may simply live"
    Weight Loss Challenge: 0/70
  • gratefulforhelp_2
    Options
    Evie74 wrote: »
    Gratefulforhelp - sloes are supposed to be better after the first frost but you can pick them early if they're ready and put them in the freezer overnight - similar effect!

Evie

Thanks, my job for the weekend, then. x
    Please do not confuse me with other gratefulsforhelp. x
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Oh Im also thinking of doing a cookie jar for my sisters, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cranberry-hootycreeks/detail.aspx

Like this I mean. And probably putting a cheap baking tray and a nice wooden spoon in with it :)

Im the baker and the chef in my family, my sisters are a bit...... lacking in that department shall we say lol x
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all:j

Really glad I found this thread - and so early too:D -I always think I'm organised but then panic sets in nearer the time:eek:

Have done a few preperations - got some really nice baskets in HB earlier in the year to make hampers with - they always seem to go down well & don't cost a lot, just in your time lol. Have already made some greengage jam, bramble seedless (plenty more to make) & spiced apple chutney - this gets eaten almost as soon as I make it though:D Handy to use up any old apples, windfalls etc.

What about asking on freecycle if anyone has a surplus of apples etc - I'm thinking of the person who wanted to make chutney cheaply?? I got my greengages from there, someone was offering them as they had a real glut. I had a tree, but only planted this year so no fruit yet!!

Could you post the recipe for the chilli jam please? My chillies have done well in the sunroom, unlike the toms which are yet to ripen!!

Panicking a bit as DD is 21 this year, at Christmas as well. Usually we go a bit mad since she gets all her stuff over 2 days + we try & make sure she gets seperate birthday/christmas gifts. She's having a holiday instead of a party, but she'll need something a bit special for a pressie:eek:
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Options
    For info, lidl NI has bramley apples and pears on off this weekend...

Guess it will be that pear chutney for me then!
  • LolaLemon
    Options
    I'm doing the glass jar painting this year, from son to his godparents ... going to get him (4) to paint sunshine on them to give as sunshine jars for the dark nights :)

When I used to have money, many eons ago... I used to buy my parents, bro and sis trainers, took them out the box, and wrapped the box, inside and out, put trainers back in, and wrapped lid on... these boxes still het used now, they hold each persons paperwork like car documents, passports etc... and all are still in good condition...

My list is this;
    Granda; tea hamper with some whiskey , make hat n scarf, son make a calendar.

Mum... somesort of hamper
    Dad.... somesort of hamper...

Sister.... probably gift voucher, hate getting gift voucher, but she's 21, super fashionable, would scoff at anything cheap in any way...
    Brother... normally get him a game for his xbox, but this year unsure, as nothing new out that he would play...

Boyfriend.... he plays guitar, going to go charity shop hunting for old tab books, get a plectrum maker, buy a personalized plectrum... include a btl of Morgans, and maybe something naughtie, if I have some cash spare.

Son, character toys from cbeebies .. clothes, board games... already started his... I do get him a good bit, but its generally all from the same thing so it looks more.
    Was thinking of getting him an xbox for the konnect, as he loves it when we go to others houses, but it is expensive ... might discuss it with his dad and see if he fancies going halfers, but doubt it.. was hard enough trying to get him to leave presents here so that Santa left them!
    Aw well... lol

2 godparents as above plus I'm going to try flavored vodka for them aswell... just need bottles.
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)
    Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
  • dancing_in_the_rain
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad I have found this thread as I need to get myself organised as last year I spent far too much as I couldnt get organised.

This year I need presents for

our three children

Mother Papmer hamper
    Father dont know yet as the normal is whiskey and book
    Sister and Brother in Law Im thinking of doing them a movie hamper
    There are the people I have no idea what to get them yet
    Nephew 1
    Nephew 2
    Mother in law
    Father in law
    sister in law a
    9 children of friends
  • mrswive
    mrswive Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    I had an idea for a present for the wannabe millionaire in the family - I'm sure we all know one; you know, the person who says, "When I'm a millionaire.....", "When I win the lottery........", "When I'm rich.....". I thought a piggy bank, a slice of Millionaire's shortbread, (home made and labelled of course) and, just before the big day, I'll put in a lottery ticket.
    Thanks for all the ideas!
  • TrixieB
    Options
    I made some flavoured vodka a few years ago and bought a load of white/red wine vinegar from Asda - like this from Tesco - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268486630 bottles kind of like this, and tipped the vinegar into an old large picked onion jar and then thoroughly washed them out and soaked off label and used those bottles :) found the bottles were ample size for this as everyone got a couple of each flavour I did - of which licorice was the winner, closely followed by stem ginger syrup and last was parma violets - it tasted ok but was so so so sickly!
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My sister - who is a chef so has an advantage - buys plain brown boxes from craft shops, puts tissue inside, packs them with homemade cookies and ties them with a posh ribbon. They look really classy!

She makes chutneys and stuff too. I am ashamed to add that I am sometimes wary of eating them because they're a funny colour compared to shop bought ones - presumably cos there's no additives in them! She sterilises the jars in her kitchen at work though so they're all fine really. No-one in the family's had any ill effects anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport