PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Old style Preparations for Christmas 2011!!

Options

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    afternoon all,

just seen that coop are doing large tins of chocs(celebr*tions/Qu*lity street etc) for £5 this weekend, wouldnt see the end of the week in this household so i would end up buying them twice !!!!

MrT has them going cheapish at the moment too - I'm not sure exactly how much they are because I don't buy them, but I've just been, and in the car park a man had about 15 tins in his trolley!
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheapskate wrote: »
    Hi all

Finally I can type Christmas properly, instead of hiding it with asterisks like I'm swearing! :rotfl:

It's still swearing :rotfl:
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Loving this thread and Christmas, I'm always so excited (and tired come Chistmas Eve:rotfl:)
    Have already got most of my presents, nearly all the dd and ds's done, got tin of sweets in my shopping this week, am giving them to my Mum to hold 'till Chistmas to stop dh eating them (made rhat mistake last year!) will try and add something each week now towards Christmas.

Was REALLY excited by the pp about pickled eggs, haven't had one in eons, could someone point me in the right direction to a receipe please, also how long will they keep for? Do I need to keep them in the fridge to steep or in a dark place? Sorry for all the questions.

Also I found a jar of tomato chutney that I made last year when Te*co sent me 9 bags of tomatoes by accident, would it still be okay?

Thanks so much
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • lazysheep
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    MrT has them going cheapish at the moment too - I'm not sure exactly how much they are because I don't buy them, but I've just been, and in the car park a man had about 15 tins in his trolley!

Just had a look on the online Mr T and these are all showing as half price (£5 from £10) until 13/9

Thorntons Moments Jar 600g
    Celebrations tub 855g exc wraps
    Cadburys Roses tin 850g inc wraps
    Quality Street tin 1kg inc wraps
    Haribo Christmas Selection tub 720g
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Findingmyfeet, thank you for the hatbox idea! I have a couple of them here I was going to stick on a carboot - but now I can utilise them as hampers which saves buying or making another box.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Ho ho ho! I love christmas!

Last year I (nearly) ditched the wrapping paper. I bought sheets of red tissue paper on ebay, about £4 for 100 sheets, and bought one roll of tartan wrapping paper from MrT for £1. Wrapped each present in 2 sheets of paper to give thickness, then cut the wrapping paper into approx 3inch thick strips and wrapped round the tissue as a banding. Looked lovely, people commented on the unusual wrapping, and it was cheap!

And thank you for the christmas emoticon thingies! Stole one for my signature, love it!
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • gratefulforhelp_2
    Options
    zippychick thanks for this thread.

findingmyfeet are sloes good now or does the frost need to get them first?

And please, does anyone know when Christmas stamps become available?
    Please do not confuse me with other gratefulsforhelp. x
  • Evie74_2
    Evie74_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

I went to Home Bargains this morning and they have some lovely patchwork/applique fabric doorstops in the shape of cottages for £2.99 - very shabby chic. I picked up three - two for each UK based sister (too heavy to post to the one abroad:eek:) and one *ahem* spare one because I liked them so much :o

Edinburgh Woollen Mill have a good sale on as well - managed to find a lovely soft, warm cardigan for my very elderly granny (nearly 91) reduced to £8 from £20.

I also picked up a huge bag of hyacinth bulbs for less than £2. I'm planning to plant them in pretty bowls and give them to my mum, MIL, granny and any other random female relatives who spring to mind. I hope if I plant them round about now they will be ready to flower come Christmastime.

Happy planning!

Evie
    "Live simply, so that others may simply live"
    Weight Loss Challenge: 0/70
  • Evie74_2
    Evie74_2 Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Gratefulforhelp - sloes are supposed to be better after the first frost but you can pick them early if they're ready and put them in the freezer overnight - similar effect!

Evie
    "Live simply, so that others may simply live"
    Weight Loss Challenge: 0/70
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speaking of jars, I've started doing glass painting on jam jars (empty ones!) and then putting a tea light in them. They'd make great presents but I'm just using them as decorations....I love them. Best of all, even if you make a bit of a mess of the painting, the patterns on the wall when they're lit are still lovely!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport