PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style Preparations for Christmas 2011!!

Options

Comments

• findingmyfeet
    Options
    pammer wrote: »
    Hi guys, I could do with a little help with what to make my Dad for christmas. I've been inspired by this post and I've decided this year I'm only going to give pressies I've made. I've got ideas for everyone but my dad.

He's not the sort of person I could give food to, he doesn't have a sweet tooth and he only drinks cider or whisky. And he's not big on ornaments/things to look at, he's more of a practical person.

I'm totally stumped.

I'm pretty creative, handy on the sewing machine and have access to lots of tool type things in our garage. But I can't knit.

His hobbies are walking the dog and course fishing. And he's a retired 67 year old.

I'd appreciate any idea because I have none!!!!

P x

hi there, what about doing some sort of hamper for him eg -
    walking hamper-thermal socks, scarf, hand warmers ,gloves, small pocket sized bottle of whiskey, toffees

fishing hamper-socks, fishing bits n bobs(sorry not a fisherperson), fishing book/magazine, flask, warm hat

drinks hamper-various individual bottles of cider and whiskeys, glass for each, liquer chocs etc
    you could make quite a few of the stuff yourself and buy others depending on the budget/time.
    hope that helps a bit, i know how hard men can be to buy for my dad never wants anything..says he has all he needs.

off to continue my christmas lists
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Finally I can type Christmas properly, instead of hiding it with asterisks like I'm swearing! :rotfl: Although finances not too bad just now, I'm dreading worse to come (generally speaking) in the New Year, so really cutting costs for everything now, including Christmas - really OS this time!

Started my lists in August, although not done much yet. My sister's challenged me to a no-spend present (just me & her) - allowed to buy sticky tape, sewing thread, etc., but nowt else! Got lots of ideas floating for that.

Have made some bramble jam already and hope to do plenty more, plus bramble vodka and sloe gin. I've enough craft stash to make EVERY card I need, and am digging out my sewing machine - going to raid my mum's huge fabric stash for some bits and pieces! :D

wilding_arms - I'm from near your friend's mum - wonder if our paths ever crossed!
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well Preserved, I'll list this recipe on the Grocery Challenge recipe index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Flibsey,

I've added your thread to the existing Old Style Christmas 2011 thread. It sounds as though you are well organised, but if you want to find Christmas inspiration it's well worth a look at the Special Occasions & Other Celebrations board where there are many threads on preparing for Christmas.

Pink
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    :D Butterfly will put my thinking cap on specially for you..still have a mound of fruit to preserve this weekend but next week should be relatively sane so would you like sweet,savoury or both??

Just popped in to say the Toysrus 20% off coupon is working NOW just placed a lego order :T its on the grabbit board and I'm still no good at links lol:o
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    :D Butterfly will put my thinking cap on specially for you..still have a mound of fruit to preserve this weekend but next week should be relatively sane so would you like sweet,savoury or both??

Just popped in to say the Toysrus 20% off coupon is working NOW just placed a lego order :T its on the grabbit board and I'm still no good at links lol:o

Here the link to the thread D&DD 20% off top brands at Toys R Us 3 days only

Pink
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Options
    Thanks Well Preserved. I have my mum and mil keeping thier jars for me too so I think I'll be doing normal sized jars instead of 500ml kilners jars. Now just to watch the reduced section!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    I find that if I make a comment on a thread I'm automatically subscribed. Don't know if it's just something in my settings though!

Yep!

User CP >> Edit Options >> Default Thread Subscription Mode.

This direct link may work for you: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/profile.php?do=editoptions
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • findingmyfeet
    findingmyfeet Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 September 2011 at 12:43PM
    Options
    afternoon all,

just seen that coop are doing large tins of chocs(celebr*tions/Qu*lity street etc) for £5 this weekend, wouldnt see the end of the week in this household so i would end up buying them twice !!!!

done my food list so far and list of who i need to make/buy for ....just need to fix the budget for each person and then think of some ideas for gifts. Did find a lovely large hat box in town reduced to a £1 so im going to do my DD a hamper full of all her fave toiletries . she starts uni next week so by christmas im sure she will need plenty of stuff. will be back later for ideas for people on my list

forgot to add -will be making damson gin, damson jam, apple sauce, and possibly raspberry jam(depends whats left when i go up to the veggie patch later) this weekend and maybe chutney as i have barrow loads of apples and several pounds of red tomatoes to use.
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • pammer
    pammer Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi there, what about doing some sort of hamper for him eg -
    walking hamper-thermal socks, scarf, hand warmers ,gloves, small pocket sized bottle of whiskey, toffees

Thanks findingmyfeet, perfect idea!!! This is going to be so much fun !!!
    The end is in sight :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport