MSE News: Costs to soar in Airmiles revamp: use points before they devalue

Options

Comments

• leadhead
    leadhead Posts: 2,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    leadhead wrote: »
    Yes, where has the rep gone.....Can anyone see what zone Madeira or the Canary Isles are in....I cant find any reference to them..

Of course, she was an Airmiles Rep, not an Avios one, maybe her fate was sealed.......

Anyone know which zone, Canaries or Madeira is in...
    Couponing....."every little hurts"

Half of the people can be part right all of the time, Some of the people can be all right part of the time.
    But all the people can't be all right all the time. .........I think Abraham Lincoln said that.
    "I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours, "I said that............................ Bob Dylan 1963
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 November 2011 at 4:30PM
    Options
    leadhead wrote: »
    Can anyone see what zone Madeira or the Canary Isles are in....I cant find any reference to them..

There are no direct BA/Iberia flights from the UK to Madeira or the Canary Islands.

Just looked up Tenerife South on BA and they are quoting 30,000 avios and £54 reward saver for a return flight via Madrid from London Heathrow.

TAP Air Portugal's London - Madeira direct flights were sometimes available with https://www.airmiles.co.uk , perhaps call them before the 16th December deadline, if you are interested to see if there might still be some availability.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Can anyone advise please. I have found a bundle of about 4000 old paper air miles in a drawer, can I swop these for avios miles now?
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Officially no. The deadline has passed.

However, you could give them a ring or e-mail them. You never know. They may take pity and offer to take them. I'm sure you're not the only one with the problem.
  • ha-melmahey
    Options
    Funny, I had been lead to believe that Avios would benefit more regional flights over Airmiles. Though quickly found out that it's actually so much worse for those wanting to travel from Northern Ireland (and possibly Scotland)

We're not even included on the Zone Map! Which means lots of wasted time tediously having to go through their search page randomly to see if you can fly to anywhere... in the UK or further afield.

When contacting their customer advisors whether through their: email, online site chat, Facebook page or Facebook community page (which you have to give up information to be used as they see fit by their marketing) They don't seem to be allowed to give you a standard but definitive list of airports we can fly to from Belfast. Possibly because the rumours I've heard that they're trying to make it difficult for anyone not from England to use their Avios points to fly, as they're to phase that option for those type of customers (by oct 2012). This is apparently because the new owners BA have to make deals with Flybe/Aerlingus as they don't fly from all airports.

We also DON'T get the £27 cap on European bookings even if we've collected miles in the previous 12 months.

So how come Airmiles/Avios customers weren't told any of this in advance of the changes - either by Avios or Money Expert? :(
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the Bmi deal goes through you'll probably be able to spend avios on flights to Heathrow.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • vinylmusic
    vinylmusic Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I'd known that airmiles were going to become avios I would never have used my tesco points to save them
    Is there any way of getting my avios converted back to tesco points?
    I could use thos points much better elsewhere
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2012 at 1:03PM
    Options
    vinylmusic wrote: »
    If I'd known that airmiles were going to become avios I would never have used my tesco points to save them
    Is there any way of getting my avios converted back to tesco points?
    I could use thos points much better elsewhere

This is a view shared by many others - the answer, unfortunately, appears to be no.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • vinylmusic
    vinylmusic Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't think so but I'll have a good moan at them anyway
    Perhaps if we all did they may take notice.
    Who's with me on that?
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • KTM_Gordo
    KTM_Gordo Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    This is apparently because the new owners BA have to make deals with Flybe/Aerlingus as they don't fly from all airports.
    Airmiles (Avios) is owned by BA, so there's no change in ownership. The main problem is that BA doesn't fly to Northern Ireland any more, so that's always going to be a problem when it's essentially a BA loyalty scheme.

Not entirely sure what all the fuss is about as the new arrangements seem fairer than before, and for short-haul the fees are fixed at a reasonably low sum. If you use other loyalty schemes for 'free' flights you have to pay all the fees and charges in full.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure