MSE News: Costs to soar in Airmiles revamp: use points before they devalue

Options

Comments

• song_of_calliope
    Options
    Is what they've done legal? I just don't see how this can be legal. I want my money back in the form of Tesco's vouchers. Surely by changing their terms this way when we've already paid means they've broken the contract and we should be entitled to a refund?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is what they've done legal? I just don't see how this can be legal. I want my money back in the form of Tesco's vouchers. Surely by changing their terms this way when we've already paid means they've broken the contract and we should be entitled to a refund?

I do very much sympathise, but their T&C allow them to do pretty much as they please, and in reality it's very unlikely that they can be challenged.

Possibly an up-and-coming Watchdog story, though. ;)
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    no_name wrote: »
    An interesting link that, thanks.

The problem I have is that going by MSE's suggestions of taking an airmile to be worth 8.5p on average, 1500 airmiles is worth approximately £127.50.

If I book a flight from London to Lisbon in January (which is the next time I'll be likely to make a booking), at the moment that flight will cost £126.30 on BA.com. Why would I want to pay the equivalent of £154.50 for it (£127.50 + £27) to use my avios/airmiles? When the flight cost on BA.com goes up to that level, you can bet your bottom dollar those flights won't be available on avios anyway, so they aren't really that useful to me any more (at least not compared to the previous system) and I certainly won't be going out of my way to collect any more.

This is not actually true. If you choose an obviously expensive date, such as Christmas, the BA fares will be more like £200 to Zone 1 destinations, yet there is still plenty of Avios availability.

It's a shame but I guess that's just how things go. I seem to remember that prior to the outgoing "system" that airmiles used, when taxes were previously payable, the deals weren't quite so good back then either... but they were flexible enough to allow travel on TAP and even indirect flights to Lisbon via Paris with Air France, with a variety of miles payment options. I'm sure I'll get used to the new system eventually, but I can see myself opting for cash more often than not for the time being at least as it doesn't seem such a bargain any more, though why should that surprise me these days?

If you only want to fly to a single destination, well you are in a bit of a risky position, as that destination can be discontinued/put up in price, etc.. For flyers who just want a deal compared with cash, there are tons of good options with Avios.
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    Several days in and still nothing works. I have been unable to combine Avios points or book a flight on a non-BA airline. To make matters worse there is no apology from Avios for the collapse of its website or any information on when it will be running properly.
  • ernie-money
    Options
    Several days in and still nothing works. I have been unable to combine Avios points or book a flight on a non-BA airline. To make matters worse there is no apology from Avios for the collapse of its website or any information on when it will be running properly.

Completely agree - it's disgusting! The flights I've been trying to book for days are now no longer available. Not that they've fixed the system so that I could book them anyway, but even when/if they do, I wouldn't be able to do so now.
    I was saving up for a long haul flight which would cost nearly a thousand punds for the three of us to book under the new scheme, so reallydon't know what to do now...
    I don't think I can hang on til Friday...
  • boudiyax
    Options
    barnabee wrote: »
    Snap!! I checked for flights from Bristol and Cardiff to Paris on the old Airmiles site just over a week ago and there were lots of options during March to May next year. I have spent ages on the new Avios website and cannot now find one single flight. Much was made of regional flights being better value prior to the changeover. Don't companies realise that if customers think they've been conned they will not remain customers for long?

The Avios website only half works - what a terrible performance given all the launch hype. I wonder if Tesco would consider converting my points back?

Me too Barnabee, saw the (available) flights I wanted Bristol-Guernsey the day before the change over, for 3000 miles.

Once I could get into the Avios site, I find neither airport is there! :mad:
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ever feel that you've been conned by BA? And where's the elusive Airmiles company representative? Gone very quiet, it seems. :A
  • leadhead
    leadhead Posts: 2,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Ever feel that you've been conned by BA? And where's the elusive Airmiles company representative? Gone very quiet, it seems. :A

Yes, where has the rep gone.....Can anyone see what zone Madeira or the Canary Isles are in....I cant find any reference to them..
    Couponing....."every little hurts"

Half of the people can be part right all of the time, Some of the people can be all right part of the time.
    But all the people can't be all right all the time. .........I think Abraham Lincoln said that.
    "I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours, "I said that............................ Bob Dylan 1963
  • loates123
    Options
    Had 3000 air miles I saved for flights from durham teesside or leeds and cant even see one flight now from any also tried other airports for flights with klm with were available before but not now pretty poor if no one from air miles can not reply without saying phone this number . Can see why many are not happy surly we should of been told of these changes before hand
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.:D
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They did say that reward saver would only be available for BA and IBeria flights and that other airlines such as KLM and TAP were not included. If you call airmiles they may able to help until the 15th Dec.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure