MSE News: Costs to soar in Airmiles revamp: use points before they devalue

Options

Comments

• adobbing
    adobbing Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    adobbing wrote: »
    Hi Stefanie

Currently airmiles allows me to book Manchester - Munich on Lufthansa for 2,000 miles per seat.

Will I still be able to book seats on Lufthansa and how many "Avios" miles will it cost.

Thanks

Hi Stefanie

Can you answer the following please?
    Will Avios allow me to redeem miles for flights on airlines such as Lufthansa and if so, what would the mileage rate be typically on a route such as Manchester - Munich?

Thanks

• adobbing
    adobbing Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    adobbing wrote: »
    Hi Stefanie

Can you answer the following please?
    Will Avios allow me to redeem miles for flights on airlines such as Lufthansa and if so, what would the mileage rate be typically on a route such as Manchester - Munich?

Thanks

Deafened by the silence!
  • Avios_company_representative
    Avios_company_representative Posts: 20 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hello Stefanie,

I'm looking at flights to Hong Kong departing next August and returning in September. There are only six days with return flights available - is there any chance this will increase with the inclusion of Iberia flights, or is that it?

Thanks a lot!

Hi On The Ball,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Iberia flights to Hong Kong are actually operated by British Airways.

In terms of availability, Airmiles flights are generally released 50 weeks in advance - additional seats may be released at a later stage, depending on the operating airline. The best thing to do is to keep checking the web site or get in touch with one of our experts in our UK Customer Contact Centre on 0844 49 333 49 who'll be able to discuss your options with you.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Stefanie
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Avios (formerly Airmiles). MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Two or three years back it used to be possible to get 'free' BA flights between London City and Amsterdam. That's not been possible for some time now, and all you ever get, no matter how far ahead you try to book, is this:

There are no full miles prices available for the dates you have chosen. However, a list of cash prices for flights on your chosen dates are shown below.

Why are these flights no longer available please?
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    My take it on it was that you could transfer points within the schemes without issue. Hence you could transfer your points from BAEC into Airmiles and use them as you previously would have used Airmiles.

This condition seems to rule out spending with Air Miles the points acquired through the BA Executive Club:

C.4.1 Except as otherwise provided by us and communicated to the Member and subject to any stated limitations, Points are not transferable in any way (whether from person to person, account to account, statement to statement, card to card, Scheme to any other loyalty type scheme or otherwise).

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios/terms
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think your interpretation is incorrect. Thats purely about transferring avios points outside of any avios scheme. Furthermore, the first line "Except as otherwise provided by us", allows them to dictate how you can transfer points - this term is to prevent selling accounts or points on ebay etc.

You'll still be able to transfer points to another member as a gift as is currently available.

It's basically saying you can only transfer points under their rules.
    Legal team on standby
  • ince_mon
    ince_mon Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    Just simply buy cheap flights from elsewhere,and use your points for hotels.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ince_mon wrote: »
    Just simply buy cheap flights from elsewhere,and use your points for hotels.

That would be fine - except that booking a hotel uses vast numbers of Airmiles. The hotels are even poorer value than the flights.

Best bet is to dump the scheme altogether and tell any companies still using it that as an incentive it's about as attractive now as a dead skunk.
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    I think your interpretation is incorrect. Thats purely about transferring avios points outside of any avios scheme. Furthermore, the first line "Except as otherwise provided by us", allows them to dictate how you can transfer points - this term is to prevent selling accounts or points on ebay etc.

You'll still be able to transfer points to another member as a gift as is currently available.

It's basically saying you can only transfer points under their rules.

I hope you are right. But why won't British Airways and Air Miles make a clear statement about this?
  • I hope you are right. But why won't British Airways and Air Miles make a clear statement about this?

If your original query was about transferring BA Avios to Airmiles Avios (and vice versa) there is a thread on flyertalk where a BA rep has confirmed the transfers will be possible (one of the ones linked from here - unfortunately I can't remember which one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1255433-thread-index-executive-club-changes.html)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure