🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PBR's "M" for "mortgage" diary!

Options

Comments

• poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think 12 days is the longest I've ever been away from MSE! Although I've not been on the forum, money saving has very much been at the forefront of my mind!

Firstly, my ageing laptop died, so I was thinking of getting a new one until I remembered that we have an ancient desktop computer that's not doing anything, so I have wound it up using the handle at the back and voila! Back online without forking out for a new laptop (until this computer dies, anyway).

I've been decluttering massively - we've almost managed to maintain some sort of equilibrium as the baby seems to have come with a lot of equipment. I've sold some large pieces of furniture, lots of books and other bits and bobs and am looking forward to the year's first car boot sale whenever that may be! I even managed to resist the allure of the 75% off sale at a certain store - although that was more because a friend of mine told me she witnessed two women almost come to fisticuffs over a box of makeup. I don't think there are any toiletries that we need that badly!

I've managed to stick to my mortgage OP plan even though I'm not earning this month. Long may it last!

Hope everyone in MFW land is well and all the MFW babies are thriving!
    Overpay!
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    well done on the decluttering. it's surprising how much space such a little person takes up. Also well done on OP. you are doing well

How is baby doing???
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    HI Starnac!
    Thanks for swinging by! I have just been lurking on your diary and was sorry to hear that your DFD has been put back, but the windows sound like a good investment. - hopefully they'll save money in the long run and keep the new baby warm!

Hope your eBaying is going well!

The PBR baby is very well - growing fast and getting lovelier every day!

I've had a frugal week- only expense was fuel. I hadn't actually driven since the baby was born and forgot how expensive it was!

Have a good weekend all!
    Overpay!
  • starnac
    Options
    glad mini PBR is doin well. The windows should only put it back to the end of the year insteadof April I hope and it is an investment in the house so I can't complain really.

I know what you mean about petrol. I only drive DH's car occassionally and am always shocked by how much petrol is
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    starnac wrote: »
    glad mini PBR is doin well. The windows should only put it back to the end of the year insteadof April I hope and it is an investment in the house so I can't complain really.

I know what you mean about petrol. I only drive DH's car occassionally and am always shocked by how much petrol is

Gosh, it must be freezing at your house! Hope they get that work done quickly!

We're plodding on over here - my main expense seems to be coffee with other new mums! Otherwise, having a young baby is surprisingly MSE - I don't have time to eat, I'm not drinking and a social life is a thing of the past!

I've found time to list everything on eBay that babyPBR has grown out of - as well as most of his clothes, this also includes his Moses basket and his bouncer. I've also had a swap on readitswapit with MSE royalty - I think I was far too excited about this and hope I have in fact got the right person!

We have some critical friends coming to stay this weekend - first time we've had overnight visitors since the birth of the baby. They always come and criticise our house, so I am very much hoping they'll cut me some slack and realise that I haven't had time to re-dig the vegetable patch or landscape the garden in the last month.

Last time they were here, they didn't like the colour of the walls in the spare room and said the bed was uncomfortable. I've repainted the walls, but am reluctant to buy a new mattress - any frugal suggestions ? (apart from the obvious one?!)
    Overpay!
  • starnac
    Options
    When you show them to their room comment on how they'll be the first people to stay in there since you've had it re-done. Mention the new paint, new curtains and of course the new mattress that you bought as you didn't realise how uncomfortable the old one was until they mentioned it last time! They won't dare comment again if they think you've bought a new one especially for them ;)

I'm afraid to tell you that you won't get your social life back any time soon and it is depressing when you realise that your child has a better social life than you do - I seem to be at parties almost every other weekend and they are all filled with 4 year olds!

a swap with MSE Royalty?? ooh lucky you. who needs a social life???
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • Sepa74
    Sepa74 Posts: 962 Forumite
    Options
    It depends how the mattress was uncomfortable, but in the past I've had success with using an old single duvet as a mattress cover (a single one covers a double bed very nicely). It covers many of the lumps and bumps of an old spring mattress.

If it's uncomfortable because it's a sofa bed and sags in the middle or something then the duvet is unlikely to help much!

But I like Starnac's suggestion - even more MSE, AND you might even make them feel bad about moaning about your hospitality. What gracious guests... NOT!!!
    Borrowed £150,000 in an offset tracker mortgage in May 2007 - MFD May 2041 (67)

Jan 2012 - £125,620.02 / 2,913.87 / Nov 2032 (58) :beer:
    Apr 2012 - £122,901.88 / 3,170.91 / Jul 2032 (58)
    Jul 2012 - £122, 589.02 / 3,507.99 / Sept 2032 (58)
    Oct 2012 - £120,476.31 / 3,889.42 / July 2032 (58)
  • poorbutrich
    Options
    Sepa74 wrote: »
    It depends how the mattress was uncomfortable, but in the past I've had success with using an old single duvet as a mattress cover (a single one covers a double bed very nicely). It covers many of the lumps and bumps of an old spring mattress.

That's a good idea! Thank you! Although if I fix that, they'll simply find something else to complain about!

After a cup of tea, I'll turn the mattress over to see if that helps ;)

They invited themselves by the way!
    Overpay!
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's a good idea! Thank you! Although if I fix that, they'll simply find something else to complain about!

After a cup of tea, I'll turn the mattress over to see if that helps ;)

They invited themselves by the way!

Hi PBR, just catching up on everyone's diaries and i'm shocked that people can be so rude!

i've got to be honest i'd make it more uncomfortable for them so that they never "invite themselves" again :rotfl:

In spite of this i hope you have a good weekend with them..
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• poorbutrich
    Options
    shala_moo wrote: »
    Hi PBR, just catching up on everyone's diaries and i'm shocked that people can be so rude!

i've got to be honest i'd make it more uncomfortable for them so that they never "invite themselves" again :rotfl:

In spite of this i hope you have a good weekend with them..

:rotfl:

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the tips! In the end, something came up and they couldn't make it but have rescheduled. I had a brainwave though - I could remove the mattress from the sofa bed and place it on top of the mattress next time they come!

Otherwise, things are tight mortgage wise. I'm relieved I haven't got round to making an OP for February as DH's car looks like it is about to die. We're now looking for something more reliable, with low tax (and low emissions), and a five-star safety rating. Boring eh!?
    Overpay!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family