Help with Tesco's screening questions

Options

Comments

• Susiesweet
    Options
    My God I have now tried five times with different combinations and rejected every time... my friend who works in tesco even gave me the answers she would put ... still rejected... haha I am determined to pass this .. am not even fussed for the job ... I will beat this!!
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Susiesweet wrote: »
    My God I have now tried five times with different combinations and rejected every time... my friend who works in tesco even gave me the answers she would put ... still rejected... haha I am determined to pass this .. am not even fussed for the job ... I will beat this!!

Clear cookies between each attempt, in case their system keeps a record!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • PHILANTHROPIST
    Options
    What a bizarre thread.

In any event can understand why Tesco's share price is struggling if the firm waste their time on this.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a bizarre thread.

In any event can understand why Tesco's share price is struggling if the firm waste their time on this.

The share price spiked recently when Tesco announced the takeover for Booker Wholesale.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2017 at 3:37PM
    Options
    TomTom27a wrote: »
    I personally feel these questionarres should be banned.

All they prove is that you know how to answer a work questionnaire and not whether you are suitable for the job or not.

Clearly Tescos believe otherwise. I would say they have a proven correlation that people who do well in this test tend to interview well and tend to make good employees.

How else should an organisation that probably gets thousands of applications a month filter applications?

A simple test like this helps them filter in on the people they want to interview.
  • motorguy
    Options
    jjones63 wrote: »

Anyone is capable of a customer service role.

True, though not everyone is good at it. Which is what customer service focused employers want.
  • motorguy
    Options
    What a bizarre thread.

Yes, thats what it is. :rolleyes:
  • Mr_Skeptical
    Mr_Skeptical Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2017 at 3:30PM
    Options
    I've been in the same situation. Every time I complete the questionnaire it tells me that I've been unsuccessful. The experience of constantly failing to get an interview is making me so depressed that I dread having to apply for jobs.

These are the answers that I gave for previous job applications:

Tesco Questionnaire May 2017:

A customer asks you about their dotcom order, you don’t know much about it because that is a different department that you have not worked in. What do you do? Direct the customer to the customer service desk

You have just helped a customer find the crumpets and they continue to chat to you about what they have been doing that day. You need to finish refilling the bakery. How do you respond? Start to refill the bakery while listening to the customer at the same time also tried Take time to chat with the customer. Listen to their stories and see if I can help with further shopping and also tried Apologise to the customer and tell them that you really need to restock the aisle.

A member of your team is preparing a customer promotion. She has just been asked to help on checkouts and asks if you could take over. You are currently helping a customer. How do you respond? Tell the team member I will help after I finish helping the customer

You are tidying an aisle when you hear a couple behind you discussing prosecco for a party this evening. What do you do? Carry on tidying the aisle and don't interfere also tried Approach the customers and offer to help them find the prosecco

You are still getting to know your team when your manager asks you whether you would like to help out in another department. How do you react? Help out in the other department and get to know my colleagues there

A customer asks about a particular type of corn flakes, we have sold out of that particular brand. How do you respond? Apologise that the item is out of stock but they can order it online also tried Let the customer know you will inform your manager that the brand is out of stock and also tried Present them with a Tesco own brand alternative.

I've decided that I'm going to apply for any job at Tesco and see if I can find a combination of answers that work. I'll post the results later if I have any success.
  • bumblingaround
    Options
    Hi, i just got these answers from someone i know's application and they worked for them
    Q1: I like serving customers...
    Q2: i am happy when i am kept busy...
    Q3: i like working as a team...
    Q4: i am happy to answer any questions...
    Q5: direct the customer to customer services
    Q6: Start to refill while listening...
    Q7 Tell the team member i will help...
    Q8: approach the customers and offer to help
    Q9: help out in the other dept...
    Q10: present them with a tesco own brand

hope these help as i was having murder trying to get through.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    I've been in the same situation. Every time I complete the questionnaire it tells me that I've been unsuccessful. The experience of constantly failing to get an interview is making me so depressed that I dread having to apply for jobs.

These are the answers that I gave for previous job applications:

Tesco Questionnaire May 2017:

A customer asks you about their dotcom order, you don’t know much about it because that is a different department that you have not worked in. What do you do? Direct the customer to the customer service desk I would personally walk the customer over to the helpdesk and speak to a colleague on their behalf OR I would handle the issue myself if product knowledge is there.

You have just helped a customer find the crumpets and they continue to chat to you about what they have been doing that day. You need to finish refilling the bakery. How do you respond? Start to refill the bakery while listening to the customer at the same time also tried Take time to chat with the customer. Listen to their stories and see if I can help with further shopping (I would have gone for this one. They want people who are friendly and chat with people to generate rapport, but you have to draw the line) and also tried Apologise to the customer and tell them that you really need to restock the aisle.

A member of your team is preparing a customer promotion. She has just been asked to help on checkouts and asks if you could take over. You are currently helping a customer. How do you respond? Tell the team member I will help after I finish helping the customer Yea probably this answer is correct, but maybe they want an assertive "no" answer to this?

You are tidying an aisle when you hear a couple behind you discussing prosecco for a party this evening. What do you do? Carry on tidying the aisle and don't interfere also tried Approach the customers and offer to help them find the prosecco I would probably offer to help them find it if they look like they are lost.

You are still getting to know your team when your manager asks you whether you would like to help out in another department. How do you react? Help out in the other department and get to know my colleagues there Sounds about right, though I would like to see the other options before committing to that

A customer asks about a particular type of corn flakes, we have sold out of that particular brand. How do you respond? Apologise that the item is out of stock but they can order it online also tried Let the customer know you will inform your manager that the brand is out of stock and also tried Present them with a Tesco own brand alternative. I wouldn't send them online because usually the store has individual targets and you run the risk of driving away A LOT of business. I would have gone with the 'offer a brand alterntive' because that is a proactive solution.

I've decided that I'm going to apply for any job at Tesco and see if I can find a combination of answers that work. I'll post the results later if I have any success.

No offence, but the questions are designed to try and capture a true reflection of what the applicant would do on a daily basis whilst working at the store.

By changing your answers and experimenting on different combinations you:

1. Demonstrate lack of suitability for the role

2. Make it harder for both the employers who have to vet you and the other applicants who show evidence that they are more suited to the job role than you.

So why don't you instead focus on being a better potential customer service advisor by either getting some real life experience and/or reading up on some useful tips.

I have, however, put some thoughts of my own in red if that helps..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure