We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Things You Never Thought You Could Sell

Options

Comments

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Well done!
  • stephnic_2
    Options
    I sold a set of Tetley Tea houses for £15 to someone in America. I have seen a few McDonalds toys on there too.
  • helenstuff
    Options
    This thread is great but I have a question. The idea of selling carrier bags greatly appeals to me as I have a few that I think would be popular but I tried it before with a Tiffany bag (following a thread here...) I had and ended up with ebay cancelling the auction after somebody complained (quite possibly somebody who was also trying to sell Tiffany bags as mine was doing really well until that point). Can't remember exactly the reason ebay quoted but it was all to do with people buying and then using to commit fraud, so I'm slightly wary of doing it again. Anybody else had such problems? Or suggestions as to what is / isn't likely to get us into trouble with ebay along these lines?
  • firework
    firework Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    What a brilliant thread, been lmao at alot of the stuff sold and shrieking in horror as i think of what i've chucked since we moved house, particularly in the last few weeks. :eek: . have just raided my bin, yes really!!! for a kodak camera (faulty) and case, that i chucked in last night. I found it and, well, you can guess where it's going !

never nominated a post of the month before but will be nominating this one, it's hilarious and inspirational. well done op.
    credit card debt at LBM Nov 2006 £11,300:eek:
    credit card debt now £0000000000000!!! :j

Debt free at 40! - I made it !!

DFW NERD No . 1158 & Proud to be dealing with my debts.
  • hummingbird
    hummingbird Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of years ago I bought a bottle of Larry Hagman J.R Ewing aftershave on ebay, which the seller openly admitted had been sitting in the bottom of their wardrobe for 20 years!! I bought it as a joke present for a friend who had laughed his socks off when he saw it listed. In the end I had to pay about 11.00 to secure the deal! I know I didn't sell it but I was stupid enough to buy it so someone else did alright!
    £10 a day extra in May '18[B]£35/310[
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £500/£2500 = 20%
    You can find my diary here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5189836:beer:
  • MonstersMummy
    Options
    firework wrote:

never nominated a post of the month before but will be nominating this one, it's hilarious and inspirational. well done op.

I'll second that!!

I too am really kicking my self tho as I cleared the house and garage of what I thought was junk over the summer and could have made a fortune from it!! :rolleyes: Lesson learnt!!
  • Rubyclare
    Options
    IN terms of tax liability, there's lots of (false) rumours about cut off points of earnings etc. I made a couple of hundred pounds through working hard on ebay and Amazon last year....so I checked with the Inland Revenue. They said that if the item was bought specifically to sell on ebay etc, then it is classed as a business and you had to pay tax, but crucially, if you have it knocking round the house and sell it, then it doesn't.

This suggests that if you buy those bargains in the Pound Shop specifically to sell online, then you should pay tax but if it's been languishing in your loft, then you're OK. I would always check with the Revenue, click here for a report about this very topic on their website.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/selling/examples.htm

The gist is, if you selling online has "an air of commerciality" then you should pay tax.

Hope this helps!
  • girlsmum
    girlsmum Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do sell loads of bits, i purchased a rain cover for a pram once very cheap but it dod not fit, i re sold it stating that i had just purchased etc and i made £10,
    I have a blue teddy bear its a Nokia corporate gift i think (my uncle is finnish and used to work for them),i assume its collectable, but where would i list it in Nokia or collectable bears?
    its in my loft doing nothing do you think it will sell??
    I wont bother if its pennies
  • smashedbooboo
    Options
    Hi, this is my first time of nominating someone as well. Its bloody brilliant. This is a thread for those of us who do not have anything significant to sell or want to part with. Lets face it we all have stuff in our drawers to sell. oh my god. that just sounded a little bit like sooooo not the right thing to say. mind you i would only get fifty pence a time anyway. Right sorry. I digress. oh god you all know what i mean. I hope. xxxxxxxxxx
    Night Owl Member No 1 :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Night owl member of the threesome. Rules are for fools to follow and wise men to be guided by
    No Man is worth your tears,
    And the one who is wont make you cry !!!!!
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    You might be able to advertise your drawers as well - especially if they're nylon apperently!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure