🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Student Debt Free Wannabe!

Options

Comments

• medman
    medman Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Nicola

Sounds like you're getting on top of things, well done! Congrats on the job too.

A couple more suggestions:

The first is to sign up with a website called quidco http://www.quidco.com/
    It earns you cash back when you follow their links to a supplier, (don't be tempted to spend!) but you can even get cash back for signing up for free DVD rental trials!! This might help with some of your impulse purchases!

The best one at the moment is Tesco: follow the link from Quidco then at Tesco select entertainment, then DVD hire

Tesco DVD Rental Free 3 Month Trial enter code TSWW9876

· Unlimited DVD rental
    · Keep up to 1,2 or 3 DVDs at a time depending on package
    · FREE 1st class delivery both ways
    · NO late fees
    · NO contracts, cancel anytime
    · Over 56,000 titles to choose from

You can sign up for these and then cancel before a payment is made and before the free period expires. We're on our third supplier and never pay to hire DVDs :D and we've earned £20 too :T

Best wishes and keep up the good work

MM
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    how did you find that out?! I'll have to go and search, I'm not sure where that road is, but thanks SO much. you star!! :j :j
    nicola x

http://www.aldi.co.uk/

Then look for Where to find us, and enter town or postcode.:beer:
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks so much for replying! I've looked on that site, not too sure how it works, but I'll probably join it later!
    nicola x
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    well I've joined quidco and it looks good, the only downside is that you have to spend money to get it back! lol :) but I'll use it in future, so thanks for suggesting it :)
    nicola x
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Well today I'm not going anywhere, as I have tons of uni work today, so it'll be a non spend day for me :) I've decided to pay off my credit card using my overdraft, so at least then I've only got that to worry about and not both. I'm going to send a cheque off today for it, so that'll be gone! I just have to worry about my overdraft BUT I get my student loan on friday, which will take me OUT of my overdraft, so technically I wont have it anymore.. until next time? I dont know whether to keep this diary, as I feel kinda weird being on the debt free board when I wont, technically, have a debt apart from my student loan. Make sense?
    nicola x
  • hbl_2
    hbl_2 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Well done! Much better to realise these habits now than when you graduate - I've still got £1000 of my overdraft and I graduated (for the third time) 18 months ago. It is interest free though, so if yours is as well, perhaps you should save against it?

When I was at university I had a part time job in a financial centre for pensions and life insurance - so I didn't learn a thing about my own finances! I had a friend who worked part time for a current account provider, and he put most of his student loan in an ISA. When he graduated, he had savings outperforming his debts. Now that was smart.
    Student Loan Company Ltd: 17,805 (2.8%) Overdraft: 500 (Interest free)
    Savings: £5,100
    - Target by end of 2008 £5,000+
    Net Worth
    1/7/06: -£32,698 -- Net Worth 25/8/08: -£13,350.
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    ^^ Thanks for replying and for the encouragement. It just feels so silly at times, i'm so stupid :|
    Some of my things on ebay have bids on, so yay! They finish tomorrow so that's something at least.
    nicola x
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Well I sent off a cheque today for £122 to pay off my credit card, so that's one less thing. My overdraft now stands at £709. which seems so high :( I've sold some things on ebay, and made £35 from there, so I'll pay that in as soon as I get all the stuff paid for and sent off. It just seems to be a never ending cycle.
    Nicola x
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Haven't written in here for ages. My overdraft stands at £309.45 as of today. and I have no money coming in til I start working next week. And I need to buy some stuff like food. I hate this :( I've added 3 things onto Ebay so fingers crossed they'll sell. Its only DVD's, but every little helps right?
    Nicola x
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Well I had a bad day today :( went to Topshop just to browse and ended up buying a bag :( It was priced at £35 :eek: :eek: :eek: but I had a £10 voucher from Pigsback and £9.20 on a topshop gift card, and I got 10% off for my student card, so it cost me £12. 30 in the end. Which to me seemed like such a bargain as its a gorgeous bag :) and I had to go to Sainsburys as my grandparents and mum are coming to pick me up tomorrow and so I have to cook them something.

I guess the good news is that I rang where I work in the holidays and they said I can go back so I'll be starting work there next week hopefully. Want to try and get rid of my overdraft :(

nicola x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family