We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Student Debt Free Wannabe!

Options

Comments

• jen_jen_2
    jen_jen_2 Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    Options
    bar work at the uni is great, i did this when i was a student and its basically a free night out (tips were pretty poor though) all your mates are in drinking and you get to see bands, etc free. At our uni we also had a free taxi home!!! just keep asking as they are short of shifts to be covered all the time, get your face known and when there is a vacancy they may give you a call.
    Ready to Go Go!
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    With train tickets, Martin said that the trick is to book 12 weeks in advance to get the cheapest prices.

Or try dividing up your journey if it's a long one.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Hey Nicola!!! I too am a student trying to pay off my overdraft before it gets any worse,I think its the most sensible way!!! Re. your contact lenses, mine are Boots own brand, do the job fine and are £6 per month. I used to want to go home loads when I lived away at uni, but I reckon getting a weekend job will help in both ways as you will save money and earn some at the same time! Good luck hun x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hey Nicola!!! I too am a student trying to pay off my overdraft before it gets any worse,I think its the most sensible way!!! Re. your contact lenses, mine are Boots own brand, do the job fine and are £6 per month. I used to want to go home loads when I lived away at uni, but I reckon getting a weekend job will help in both ways as you will save money and earn some at the same time! Good luck hun x

Thanks for replying. How do you swap your contact lenses from one company to another? I'm with Specsavers at the moment, which is the only opticians where I live...
    nicola x
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Gemmzie wrote:
    With train tickets, Martin said that the trick is to book 12 weeks in advance to get the cheapest prices.

Or try dividing up your journey if it's a long one.

Thanks, I'll look into that.
    Nicola x
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Is there a Boots near you? I too was with Specsavers, went in and cancelled the plan (and the direct debit that I had set up with them). I then went into Boots, had a complimentary eye test with them (if you join the Boots health club which is free you get a free eye test voucher-you can join it online). I took the prescription I had been given by Specsavers, and then the Boots eye test obviously checked to see if it was accurate or if I needed stronger lenses. Then signed up to the Boots contact lens scheme and have had no probs at all (touch wood!) xx Hope this helps hun
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hiya nicola

you just get your prescription and get the contact lenses online :)

I take it you play the piano? Would there be any hope of you doing some tuiton or coaching to kids for money?

I worked in bars and call centres when I was at uni and call centres were SIGNIFICANTLY better paid than bar work nad I got bonuses too. I was maiking in excess of 200 a week @ BT although they were fairly hefty hours 3-8 4 days a week and alrternate saturdays. I didnt do it for long as I was in my final year, but it was a quality job. Great money, easy work and not working late.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    lynzpower wrote:
    hiya nicola

you just get your prescription and get the contact lenses online :)

I take it you play the piano? Would there be any hope of you doing some tuiton or coaching to kids for money?

I worked in bars and call centres when I was at uni and call centres were SIGNIFICANTLY better paid than bar work nad I got bonuses too. I was maiking in excess of 200 a week @ BT although they were fairly hefty hours 3-8 4 days a week and alrternate saturdays. I didnt do it for long as I was in my final year, but it was a quality job. Great money, easy work and not working late.

I play the piano, flute, sax and I sing! lol so I guess I could teach some little kiddies for a while. I have no idea how to go about that though? Its a thought that I hadn't come up with anyway, so thanks!
    Are call centres in all areas? I would have no idea where to start with in getting a job at a call centre... I'll have a look on the BT site or something, but that sounds like a fab income! thanks for replying :)
    Nicola x
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    I've just counted up my lose change box, and I dont have enough of one coin to change, but i'm nearly there. So I guess that's something :confused: I just seem to be going to dead ends.. not in a very positive mood tonight.
    nicola x
  • Hallam_Macca
    Options
    I was in the same position as you a few years back but the only difference is your doing something about it now whilst I've waited until now to sort it all out! So your doing good sorting it now.

From looking back at my own time at uni I should have got a part-time job. It was crazy how easily my money just drained away. Any job just for a couple of times a week will help a lot not only will you earn money you'll have less time to spend it as well!

With the travelling home you might have to cut that back a bit, get friends and family to come see you? If your ok with coaches there's a company called megabus who charge really cheap fares all over the country but there's only a limited number of places they go to.
    Lightbulb Moment :idea: (10/12/07) :j

Debit Cards

Natwest WAS -£275.53 NOW -£1,086.73 - Limit £1600 increased from £1250
    Barclays WAS -£516.58 NOW -£485 - Limit £500

Credit Cards

MBNA WAS -£2554.89 NOW -£2411.50 - Limit -£2500
    Capital One WAS -£994.57 NOW -£949.80 - Limit -£1000

Debt at 06/12/07: £4,291.57
    Current Debt at 11/01/08: £4,933.03 :(

:T Proud to be dealing with my debt :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors