SAHM paying off debts slowly - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

SAHM paying off debts slowly

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
868 replies 77.9K views

Replies

• slm6002slm6002 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    i took the safe option and hung them indoors. debating whether or not to nuy myself a new airer from lidl (£8 i think it was) as i seem to have so much washing since baby 3 came along. I think i will wait as trying to pay as much off at the moment and although £8 is hardly anything it might be the difference between paying whole debt off or nearly all of it off!
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    FW Nerd 1103, Debt Free 04/18
    Single Mum since 11/19
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Well DD at school and 1 load of washing on the line drying in the gale outside! DS is currently watching Christmas Micky Mouse on the dvd (think we have watched it a dozen times over the past few days). Now to tackle DD's bedroom. really dont want to but unless i want mice i think its a must. Will try to sort through some of her stuff and sell as her birthday is coming up soon and i would like her to have somewhere to put stuff when she gets it. Also need to sort through babes clothes as she has outgrown quite a lot of it now so that needs bagging up and donating / selling. I Think i will be up there all day at this rate and possibly rest of week. If i dont post by end of week send out a search party!
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    12.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi - I hang quite a lot inside on hangers and then when its dry its ready to put away - as well as stuff on the line.... I tumble dry towels and underwear mainly.

Know what you mean regarding your daughter's bedroom - I always have to do a clear out before xmas and birthday to make room for the new stuff
    During 2020: Target 1) Reduce debt from £25.1K @ 0% Now down to £17,357 Target 2) Overpay mortgage - now @ £777 OP Target 3) Improve pensions Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - Done with help of skip. 5) Lose 21lbs - now at 15lb lost 6) Build/maintain EF/Savings pots at £1K or more by 31/12/20
  • debtfreewannabe321debtfreewannabe321 Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me three on that one, I had a huge clear out of clothes just a few weeks ago in ds2/dd bedroom. As they share there isn't much space in there anyway so i have to try and keep on top of it. I ended up with 3 bags of stuff that was no good to sell (stains on mainly- so messy my kids!) and only one little bag with stuff decent enough to put on ebay lol.

I need to do the same with their toys next before xmas but I hate throwing things away when I think 'I paid £XX amount for that and I will only get £X if i sell it, so i think i will keep it just a little longer' lol then i end up with a house full of toys! I should be more like my neighbour, i went into her house and she had NO toys in the living room, they were all up in her ds's room!!! If he brought a toy down he had to bring it back up before getting another! Wow, organised (or very strict lol)

I hope you got your washing all dried! I think i will have less to put away than i originally hung out at the rate it is trying to escape from my washing line! ;)
    2015 Goals:-#1 419.26/1000 (Emergency..target #1) 41.93% , #2- 14,010.70/15,000 (new house) 93.4% :j:heartsmil #3 395.07/1000 (Rental house fund target #1) 39.5% :).
    Aim High!
    :heart2: Debt-Free in 2013. Saving for a better future :heart2:
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    went to the car boot today and only spent £3 so was quite happy with that. Got a few bits for the kids - not sure why as they have too much as it is but i can cope with £3 as it would have been a lot more in normal shops!

LO is currently wizzing around in her baby walker getting into things that she shouldnt including juice and cereal bowls. very messy but keeping her ammused. Went to Mr T and got a few more tins of free soup. I am running out of space to store things. I really need a set of shelves or a clear cupboard to put it all in - perhaps i need to empty my office (understairs cupboard) of rubbish so it can go in there.

Got a 'meet the teacher' meeting tonight so that should be interesting. DD's new teacher i am pretty sure is straight out of college and wanting to prove herself. She is currently thinking she knows my daughter better than me in the nearly 2 weeks that she has known her!! Last years teachers soon learnt that i am not the kind of parent that will just let an issue go if big words and curriculum spouted to me. Could be fun tonight. Mum was a teacher and i have grown up with it so i know how things work and how teachers get around some people. I dont claim to know it all but more than she realises!

Sorry for rant, just feel a bit rahhhh today. Will hopefully be back to happy self tomorrow
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19
  • debtfreewannabe321debtfreewannabe321 Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ooh good luck with the meeting the teacher thing, I hate it when you get some teachers that are so condescending towards parents. I used to get it a lot as i was only 19 when i had ds1 so i am one of the younger mums still at parent's evening when i go. I've since done a degree involving education and i love to pretend to know nothing and then when they start to lecture me on something, i have a far better answer than they ever thought possible ;) hehe

£3 is a good spend at a car boot! I always always spend too much when i go to those! I see a bargain and just can not resist! lol

Anyway i hope you are feeling in a better mood tomorrow :) xx
    2015 Goals:-#1 419.26/1000 (Emergency..target #1) 41.93% , #2- 14,010.70/15,000 (new house) 93.4% :j:heartsmil #3 395.07/1000 (Rental house fund target #1) 39.5% :).
    Aim High!
    :heart2: Debt-Free in 2013. Saving for a better future :heart2:
  • edited 15 September 2011 at 9:37AM
    slm6002slm6002 Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15 September 2011 at 9:37AM
    Morning all. Well last night was a little of a let down. It wasnt really get to know the teachers, more what work will be done this year - got spellings and reading! DD's teacher sat there in silence and the year 2 teacher did all of the talking. Found out she is straight from college as expected so understand why she is like she is. Several of the quieter mums who dont normally give opinions had a grumble about her so in 2 weeks she has already upset (not quite the right word but not sure what word to use) a fair number of people.

Anyway today is a busy day. After the past few weeks / months of DD not making any effort to put clothes and toys away, her room is being transfered to the garage in the hope that when reintroduced they may get put away. Gave her prior warning and still nothing so its all going today - this will also give me a chance to sort through stuff. I sound really mean but nothing else has worked so will give it a go.

Should be another no spend day for me today as we dont need anything. Dinner all planned and its afterschool club tonight so that means nothing to amuse children after school plus they get lovely free food at the begining.

May even do some baking today for us mums waiting in the other room - seems pointless going home and back for such a small amount of time.

I have noticed i am saving almost £50 each month as i am nolonger using the car - well only 1 day a week. Should be losing weight but not noticing anything yet!

Anyway i must get on or her room will not be done by the time she gets back. Have a good day everyone :)
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well all DD's toys and clothes (apart from a very small selection and school uniform) are all packed away until she starts behaving. Only problem at the moment is that she is not that bothered and is enjoying the space. I am hoping that after a week she will start to realise that having no toys is a bit boring and then we can work on getting them back into her room once sorted through. I cant quite beleive there was soo much in a little room. No wonder she had problems keeping it tidy.

Already been to the shop to buy some much needed diet coke (my fix and treat), but that should be it for today. Thinking bangers and mash with veg tonight as a fairly easy dinner. Must clean kitchen next though and do yet another load of washing!
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    12.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi I think if she's not bothered that they're all tidied away sounds like there were a bit too many and it is worth leaving some boxed up. A friend of mine has loads of kids but everything goes in boxes and only one box can be taken out at a time and everything gets tidied back into the box at the end... that would be another way of doing it...

Good luck. My DD's bedroom is a tip too - and I only got rid of stuff a few weeks ago. A week or so ago she got her room spotless and we could even vacuum clean it LOL but now its got clothes on the floor tons of toys out and an unmade bed! It is so frustrating as when she wants to she can make it look really good. In case you haven't guessed already - I refuse to do it for her - she's 8 and old enough to do it herself with some direction. If she doesn't sort it soon she will be asked to clear more out for charity as she must still have too much LOL
    During 2020: Target 1) Reduce debt from £25.1K @ 0% Now down to £17,357 Target 2) Overpay mortgage - now @ £777 OP Target 3) Improve pensions Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - Done with help of skip. 5) Lose 21lbs - now at 15lb lost 6) Build/maintain EF/Savings pots at £1K or more by 31/12/20
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I am so glad i am the only one who refuses to do it any more. She was telling me how she wanted to watch a film in her room, whilst we walked home from school. 'Oh dear' i said 'its a shame your dvd's and dvd player are packed away'. I think she is starting to realise i am not going to give it back just because she made her bed this morning!

Her first wobbly tooth has finally fallen out so i guess the tooth fairy will have to pay a visit. When i was young it was 10p - 20p per tooth. No idea what it is nowadays!

Have decided after looking in my freezer that i need to do a list of the food i have in the kitchen as i have been busy the past few weeks stockpiling, ready for winter and also because of coupons (only a few at a time mind you!). It is getting difficult to put bits away due to stockpiles and as we are getting tight on money i feel it would be a good time to perhaps do some non shop weeks. Will try to list everything tomorrow and then decide what i will keep and what i can use now.

Must go unload dishwasher and tidy dinner bits away :)
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19