SAHM paying off debts slowly - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

SAHM paying off debts slowly

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
868 replies 77.8K views

Replies

• slm6002slm6002 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Just been through the job pages for OH and noted down all of the agencies that i can see that deal in his area of work. We had a few but i am guessing it cant harm us to register with a few more. Will be calling and sending cv's monday and hopefully securing some work for him come 19th!

Still no news on the dates for his driving test - been 2 weeks now and i was kind of hoping something would have been done. Rang them yesterday and they were waiting for more dates for us to choose but its looking like the end of oct before we can get it done. So now need a few months work to keep him going.

On a brighter note my brother and girlfriend got engaged the other day. They are also hoping to visit my mum in the usa before xmas so hopefully if i pull my finger out i can send xmas pressies over with him to save postage - yay :)

OH has had car for over 2 weeks now (i am allowed to use tomorrow except there is no petrol in it!) and i am starting to feel caged in. There are only so many times you can visit the local playground and museum. I was planning on doing this anyway over the school holidays, but i had planned to spread it out around the odd few trips out. Think he is also helping a friend out in the morning by moving a few bits so the friend will put some petrol money in as payment and then a few beers i reckon as a thank you. At least OH can enjoy his night in with a drink.

Wanting to start next avon book but also dont like to do it until i have given out the bits and pieces people have ordered. That will be wed. Hoping this will be a better book and i can make a few more pennies for myself. Going to put £20 each campaign onto my post office budget card that i got the other day to help with car tax. Once its on there i cant spend it when desperate, like i have done with the last few pennies in my savings recently. Even if i dont then get all of the money for my next car tax bil at least i will have a chunk of it ready

Anyway must go as i have rambled a lot - no adult company today so probably talking rubbish!
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    FW Nerd 1103, Debt Free 04/18
    Single Mum since 11/19
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I am back and with the kids holidays nearly over i thought i should get back to writing on here (also a little nudging from a kind mse friend). Well OH is currently temping but due to 2 x 4 day weeks pay is quite a lot less than we need and are used to. Not sure if it would be worth calling tax credit people and see if i can change expected pay for year - probably would not be that different if OH gets class 1 job later in year - should even itself out. Had major annoyance the other day as training people would not give us times and dates for his training other than the 1st day (still not able to tell me a time?). they say "he will find out the rest of the information on his 1st days training" and my comment was "well how does he book holiday for the correct days as its only 2 weeks away and work needs to know" (they dont know he is with agency). Anyway his reply was "thats how it has been done for the past 5 years". Well i was less than impressed. He was unable to give me a number for the people actually running the training so after googling them i spoke to a lovely woman who had been having problems getting payments from them since they started dealing with them! His course dates are wrong and they are now a week and a bit later but no one would have told us unless i had spoken with the woman, and i also have the times and dates. She was quite shocked at what i told her. She hasnt received payment for OH's course yet and he will be unable to attend if its not paid a week before he is due to start. I have therefore written a fairly strong letter to them telling them to pay now as i can not cope with the uncertaininty waiting til 19th (when payment due). Sorry rant over.

I had put the DMP on hold until i know how OH's job was going to go but i am seriously thinking of going ahead with it. They only bit i was worried about was the credit rating on file incase we moved. Well this is unlikely to happen any time soon and people are just demanding money and to be honest i dont know if they will get it. OH's truck needs MOT nad problems paying for before mechanic will give it back (£600 ish). His old employees overpaid by £250 and want it back, His insurance company want £445 ish as we cancelled policy after aboout a month - looking into this as forms never returned. We just dont have money for this. OH is trying to sell truck - worth about £2000 and a mini that he hoped to restore - about £600, but people just are not buying. He sold a banger car he was hoping to race as we needed the money - this was over 3 weeks ago now and the friend has been promising him the money but we still dont have it. Oh and his mobile is about to be cut off completely and taken to debt recovery as they keep taking money out of his account on wrong day (just before payday when no money left in account). This on top of everyday bills is too much for me at the moment. Feel like we are just sinking in sand and i cant do anything to stay afloat. I am couponing mad thanks to the thread on here but we cant live on just cleaning products, butter and cornflakes.

Not done many bits over the kids holidays due to no money and OH having the car each day, but they seem to have enjoyed time off - they are also very eager to get back and i am too very happy they both go back tuesday. I can finally do those little jobs that are easier without kids running around feet! I also need a thorough clean of the house. I dont think much has been done for at least 3 weeks now. It didnt really seem to be worth it as before i moved to next room it had been destroyed.

I received my inheritance (OH still doesnt know about extra money as this would be his excuse to not pay any housekeeping for a while) but not paid it off debts yet. I am unsure if i should see how OH wages go first and see if i will need it for DD's. I have put some in savings for a few bits and hope that this is not touched. It wont pay off all debts but if it clears 1 cr card at least thats one thats paid off and then cancelled.

Avon is going really well. I have only collected books in once this campaign so far and have already hit target and am around the same level of sales as for the previous 2 books. It has been really quite slow over the holidays and even though i have met targets it is noticable that people are on hols and therefore some regulars not ordering. I am hoping to beat my record this time - may be helped that the xmas stuff is starting to creep into the catalogues. Lets hope i make some good commission on this one. One of my debts is around £80, so with 2 average to good books i could pay this off completly and cross another off the list.

Sorry for the ramble and hello to anyone still reading :)
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    12.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to welcome you to diaryland and wish you luck on your journey. Keep posting, and keeping doing the little things and hopefully over time things will add up. I think it is sensible to wait and take stock of the situation before dealing with your inheritance... you want to make sure it doesn't just get wasted - I can understand that... Hope things settle down for you soon. What are CCCS or National Debtline advising re DMP? Is that off the cards now or are you still thinking of doing that?
    During 2020: Target 1) Reduce debt from £25.1K @ 0% Now down to £17,357 Target 2) Overpay mortgage - now @ £777 OP Target 3) Improve pensions Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - Done with help of skip. 5) Lose 21lbs - now at 15lb lost 6) Build/maintain EF/Savings pots at £1K or more by 31/12/20
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    they say a DMP wouuld be my best route but OH was wary so we didnt go any further at the moment but as things have changed we may have to reconsider. Thanks for reading
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19
    12.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps before jumping to a dmp you could put up your soa and then people can. comment on whether there are other options. However you sound frugal if you can do a food shop on so little
    During 2020: Target 1) Reduce debt from £25.1K @ 0% Now down to £17,357 Target 2) Overpay mortgage - now @ £777 OP Target 3) Improve pensions Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - Done with help of skip. 5) Lose 21lbs - now at 15lb lost 6) Build/maintain EF/Savings pots at £1K or more by 31/12/20
  • debtfreewannabe321debtfreewannabe321 Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hey hun glad to see you back posting it really helps sometimes to offload :)

If your inheritance isn't enough to pay off all the debt i wouldn't use it either i would lock it away in a high savings account or isa. If you are wanting to move a dmp probably isn't the best route to take. But if you decide you want to stay where you are I'd seriously re-consider one. When your dh gets a better paid job it will put you in a position to save up enough to offer full and finals to each creditor and you may pay it back quicker than what the cccs /payplan originally told you. It also allows you to budget properly for every bill you have every year/week/month etc. I now have a savings card for my car tax, a savings account for house/landlord insurance, savings for emergencies etc and we are in a far better position financially then we have been for a LONG time! I know our credit will be trashed for a few years to come but that gives us enough time to see the housing market get back on it's feet before we sell up and enough time hopefully to have saved some cash towards a new house. It feels great knowing i can't go into my overdraft every month, and I know there will be no unexpected bills coming out of my account for overdrafts/charges etc. I honestly feel like a weight has lifted since i began mine (i honestly don't work on commisssion ;) )

So if you do decide to go down that route don't feel like you've failed or that you will never get to move. It may be delayed a little but at least you will get to live your life rather than being hand to mouth with the money/food each month like we were for too many years before finally giving in and accepting we needed help!

Roll on tomorrow i say so all kids are back eh ;) -except my youngest...and no ddoubt he will trash the house as quickly by himself as he'll have no playmate with his sister at nursery lol

dfw xx
    2015 Goals:-#1 419.26/1000 (Emergency..target #1) 41.93% , #2- 14,010.70/15,000 (new house) 93.4% :j:heartsmil #3 395.07/1000 (Rental house fund target #1) 39.5% :).
    Aim High!
    :heart2: Debt-Free in 2013. Saving for a better future :heart2:
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all thanks for the comments and support. I will try to sort out SOA in the next few days so people can see if there is anything i can cut down on. Thinking appart from sky tv which OH wants to keep we are fairly good. Each renewal of insurances etc i shop around to get best deal, again with gas and elec and phone. Not sure what to cut next. Think i just need more income!

I am awaiting a call from my avon manager as she emailed to let me know i am getting some more territory so potential for more income which is great. Got 1 round to pick up tomorrow and then can do 2 more rounds on new houses so fingers crossed for some more pennies coming in.

OH makes me dispare sometimes. He asked me last night if its possible to postpone paying bills for a few months (he was being very serious). I informed him that if we dont pay mortgage house will be taken away and if we dont pay council tax we will end up in prision. He really has no clue. I just wish he would let me take control of his money for him. I know its very controlling but he would be better off. I would make sure he only has what he can afford and bills are paid and in turn i would get housekeeping!

I also rang tax credit people as we will be around £3k shorter this year if he stays at agency. I am hoping this increases weekly payments slightly. Well should be a no spend day today although DD has just been invited to a party tomorrow night after school - will have to look through gift box and see if i have anything suitable - cant afford to go buying at the mo.

Hope you all have a great day :)
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19
    12.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi slm

I don't think it is controlling to want to look after his finances if you are bettter at it than him.

All our finances are joint - OH doesn't have a clue how much things cost or what a good price is.

My sis married someone with serious debts - they talked about it and agreed a way forward together. They kept their finances officially separate so her credit score wasn't impacted but she started managing his finances online - and kept hold of his card most of the time - they went together to get cash etc and he was only allowed so much at a time... That way she stopped him increasing his debt and was gradually able to repay his debt... Luckily some of his debt was due to a mortgage he was on with a family member and when they cleared that it cleared most of his debt... They now just have a car loan left which just gets cleared down by the monthly payments - they would have been stung for interest even if they'd paid it off so there was no point...
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Have spoken to OH before about 'helping him' but he sees it as me taking all his money and leaving him with nothing. He just doesnt get that if i pay things on time he will have more to spend / repay bits off. He is quite set in his ways and very determind to do it himself.

I may bring it up again soon though
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Not much to mention today so far, but still printing useful coupons off the thread on here for shopping and have just got some info on my new avon teritory so can get going with that. Need to go for a walk and see where exactly which houses it is but one road is closer than my original round so thats good - also on way to nursery so very easy to deliver to. Job to do today is clean house - really needs doing. Bye for now
    Me, DD 14, DS 12, DD 9
    Single Mum since 11/19