Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

SAHM paying off debts slowly - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

SAHM paying off debts slowly

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
901 replies 82.2K views

Replies

• Hi, good luck with the debt busting its a long frustrating process but it will be worth it.

I have been considering a DMP but I dont understand fully the long term effects and we want to get a mortgage in a few years.

Have you posted your SOA?
    Electric and Gas Predators 17/£700 :(
    :j:j:j October make £10 a day challenge :j:j:j
    £155/£310
  • I didn't want to read and not post. It's lovely reading your updates, you sound so positive!

So glad Avon is working out for you. I am about to start mat leave in a couple of months and have decided to pay off as much as I can before I am out of pay. Your posts are very inspiring :)

Good luck, I'll keep following.
    Sealed Pot challenge: # 1376: £??
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge: # 140: £13.97
    Cashback sites since July-11: £220.55
    Ebay total: £8.49
    Amazon total: £74.98
  • slm6002slm6002 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi i was worried about long term affects as like you we could really do with a slightly bigger house but cant afford it with all of the debt payments going out. As we only ever make minimum payments i figured we would not clear these any time soon. The dmp says i could in theory clear eveything in under 8 years if all goes really well (although i understand it might not). I would still be paying minimum payments without it probably. Also hopefully if i do it as just myself rather than jointly with OH his credit rating will hopefully stay ok ish.

Just picked up last avon book - she doesnt want another book for 3-4 months so 1 customer down - at least i made targets for this time
    Me, DD 15, DS 13, DD 10
    FW Nerd 1103, Debt Free 04/18
    Single Mum since 11/19
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there hollow tree, glad you see it in a possitive way - feel like i am just moaning most of the time. I do try to look for light at end of tunnel. Definately try to pay as much off as you can whilst you have a full time job.
    Me, DD 15, DS 13, DD 10
    Single Mum since 11/19
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi again, not been oline all weekend and was met by a paypal message - i was thinking, what have i bought? i then remembered i had put some stuff on ebay and someone has actually bought it £10 to me thank you very much :) Must go to the post officed in the morning.
    My DD has been poorly all evening and sick 2 times already - changed clothes and bedding twice and she is now sleeping on towels as only got a limited amount of bedding and energy - whose idea was it to get bunk beds. they are so difficult to change. She will now be off school tomorrow but not that worried as she is so tired i think the day off would do her good.
    Avon order should arrive in the morning so i will be getting that ready 1st thing so that i can deliver on wed. Dad has given me some of my inheritance so that will be paying the remaining balance on my OH's lorry training - finally - once he has that he can get a better paid job and hopefully we can start paying things off quicker. DMP is on hold at the moment, we are going to see how we cope in the next few months. If we dont cope then we will be going ahead with it. I struggled to decide wether or not to use all of the inheritance for debts or to use some to help with the training as that in turn would bring more money in. I will also be doing a homestudy teacher training course so that i can get a job in a school hopefully when youngest starts. Its a while off yet but i like to have a plan.
    Me, DD 15, DS 13, DD 10
    Single Mum since 11/19
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok scary moment today as OH has resigned with no job to go to - quite silly in our situation but he has been on phone to agencies who should have work for him once he has worked his notice. He finishes on 19th August. We have also today paid his hgv 1 training and test fees so he should have a better paid job when he returns to permenant work. Just had call saying that his test wont be till sept so will have to get some part time work till then. Its going to be so very tight over next few months but if we can get through them it will be worth it.

Took £63 worth of avon orders today so at least i will make something on this months avon as it has taken me over order value
    Me, DD 15, DS 13, DD 10
    Single Mum since 11/19
  • chevalierchevalier Forumite
    7.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why on earth did he resign like that? Can he take it back? And then continue on looking for alternative work.

Also if you look on the main site there is a link to the snowball calculator. Basically you can put all of your debts into it, and your current repayments, and it will tell you how long it will take to pay the debts off that way. Then if you put in the figure if you were on a DMP, it will show you your new debt free date, and how much interest (or not) you will pay...It might make OH see the light about going on the DMP especially as he is now unemployed.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest i am very surprised that he has lasted until now. He is being bullied in my opinion to leave job - getting all of the carp routes making sure he cant finish on time yet most of his overtime has been given to others as he then has no driving hours left for the saturday! He is also being disaplined because he has had 4 sick days of work in the last year - sorry but it happens, and 3 of those he took as holiday as it was through his hobby, but they are still meeting with him - totally illegal i am sure - he will be taking his union rep with him as its just not right. I am thankful that he does have experience in quite a number of areas so agencies are 99% sure they could get him work for the in between time. Also once he has done hgv1 course the company put him in touch with companies that take on new drivers. If he cant get worki guess i will go back and he can take care of the kids lol.
    Me, DD 15, DS 13, DD 10
    Single Mum since 11/19
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back off again in a little while to collect more books for avon - seems to take over life sometimes, but i need the money - Need some nice hefty orders or some new customers as its a little slow this time. Have made minimum order but only just. Maybe those customers that were wary of new rep can trust me to come back now?

Took OH truck to garage last night ready for MOT today - really hope it passes even though it would only be scrapping through - He has been borrowing car all week and used all of my petrol so far, so no trips out for me and kids til payday. Although if the truck passes he will scrap another of the cars sitting outside and we can put some more petrol in.

Not much happening here other than that - just about keeping up will bills but nothing really left over after that for treats - never mind got the buggy and a park near by for picnics etc
    Me, DD 15, DS 13, DD 10
    Single Mum since 11/19
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another little update - OH is still using my car at the moment as his truck is still not working. The part he needs to replace is no longer being made new so we need to find a scrap yard or ebay one. At the moment there are none available so not sure how long it will be off the road for. We are still waiting for dates for when OH can take his HGV course. One date was mentioned but it was around 2 1/2 hours away and is just not fiesable unless we could have afforded to stay there for the 5 days. We need the dates for the venue in the next town ideally.

OH did make me laugh though as he says we have no food in the house. When he gets some money in next he if going food shopping (he hasnt done this for the last8 years) he beleives he can fill the freezer for very little. He used to get a weeks shopping for him and his flatmate for £15 - mainly prepack pizzas and pies, crisps and biscuits though. I said it wasnt quite as easy anymore plus the kids need actual fruit and veg! Will let him try though, might go with him and wait for the shock on his face at the till :eek:. We try to spend around £35-40 per week but generally get the very basics and ingrediants rather than prepacked stuff
    Me, DD 15, DS 13, DD 10
    Single Mum since 11/19