We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Incineration of paper and branches in garden! Help Please!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    radiohelen wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sake. Just burn them. It won't take long if you scrunch. Do it on a miserable day when no-one has their washing out and most windows are closed. Put the ashes on your plants and in a compost heap.
    On the green front - it's as bad to burn or compost...the carbon gets released whichever and in fact if you send the paper to the dump it doesn't decompose because it's too compacted. Recycling is the best option but tbh you can't do that very well with lots of personal papers unless you shred them which takes hours (I know, I've just emptied our filing cabinet and yes it went on the bonfire).

Thank you for your post and inspiration just to do it! I am in a pickle at the moment as theres loads sitting in a bin full of water :rotfl:. I know I will learn from this.... do it as I go!
    :j DMP started on 1st Oct 11 - 6 yrs 0 mths till DFD :j
    May 2018 Debt free date - Mission to clear before!
    Depression is a challenge, Debt is a challenge and I have been given these challenges to be a stronger person. Focus and determination is the key with hard work!
  • grandmaster00
    Options
    jeeeeeeeez you lot are nuts....

some guy on some forum tells you that composting releases just as much carbon into the atmosphere as burning and you actually believe him.... :rotfl:
  • grandmaster00
    Options
    thank you for the tip, sounds like you have it off to a fine art! I think I need to get myself one of these composts! xx

get one ????

you make one lol

just stick all your green and brown waste in some sort of receptacle in your garden to hold it all together and itll do the rest for you lol
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a bag of torn off corners & tops of letters (the rest gets put in the council recycling box) that will be put on the firepit next time we strike it up. It'll be done Nov 5th if not before, I guess I don't have to be considerate to my neighbour's laundry on the washing line on that date! lol
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    At the moment I dont grow anything, its quiet a big garden but was very overgrown and had odd things in it and weeeeds! We have cleared it so its free now and this summer I would like to start doing it. I really want to grown vegetables and fruit, I understand that its a bit late in the season now to grow somethings but I want to prepare it ready for when i can, to be honest with you I am not a good gardener! Its all very good tips, I never would have thought you could use paper for a compost.
    OK, well you've got plenty of space for a composter, so sort one out.
    If I was you, I'd build a big one, make it a metre sq and just make it out of any old wood you can get your hands on. A few pallets would be perfect.
    It's not late in the season, but you need a plot ready now. If you know you are going to have somewhere to plant something in the next couple of weeks, then get some plants in, or you can still sow alot of seeds in pots.
    Compost heap, get a bit of something to put on the top, to keep that rain out.

I know people are probably tired of hearing it. But I do various types of composting. I have the black plastic bin for kitchen waste, this is fitted with wire mesh underneath to keep rats out, I have an open compost heap for general garden waste and a huge woody pile I also utilise as a dodgy weed drying out heap.

You need to put in alot of your paper when you add wet green stuff to a bin. So your paper will be gone very quickly and garden compost is about the best thing you can have to help you grow your own food, so get going! :D
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Blackpool_Saver Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm, water in first then add the papers a bit at a time, or use a good shredder !
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport