We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Incineration of paper and branches in garden! Help Please!

Options

Comments

• celerity
    celerity Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    Daisymaisy wrote: »
    I was going to suggest tearing it up and composting too, not sure how many identity theft thieves have turned to rooting through compost heaps/bins. The paper would become damp very soon and once damp a bit of a fork through and it would disintegrate anyway.

Maybe my compost heap is a bit rubbish (no pun intended), but I've tried composting the newspaper from our chickens' poo tray, and it takes *ages* to decompose. And that was only a few sheets as a test.

I'd expect official paperwork to be printed on better quality paper, so it would take even longer.

/\dam
  • celerity
    celerity Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    I agree if you can avoid burning it that would be better all round - less hassle for you for a start.

/\dam
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    celerity wrote: »
    You do realise this would still release the same amount of carbon back into the atmosphere as burning, right?

It's the same principle as using wood for fuel - you may as well burn it to heat your home (in a wood stove ideally) rather than let it decay and release carbon naturally as it decomposes.

Trees are carbon sinks only during their lifetime - when they decompose the carbon goes back into the atmosphere.

/\dam

you really know your stuff, I have learnt lots!! x
    :j DMP started on 1st Oct 11 - 6 yrs 0 mths till DFD :j
    May 2018 Debt free date - Mission to clear before!
    Depression is a challenge, Debt is a challenge and I have been given these challenges to be a stronger person. Focus and determination is the key with hard work!
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    celerity wrote: »
    I agree if you can avoid burning it that would be better all round - less hassle for you for a start.

/\dam

think I am going to go for big bin, paperwork in and lots and lots of water! Stick in the corner closest to the house and move it regularly! may be my best option!x
    Depression is a challenge, Debt is a challenge and I have been given these challenges to be a stronger person. Focus and determination is the key with hard work!
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Blackpool_Saver Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    ahhh now that is an idea which sounds like easy work! Would it be a case of getting a big bin, put all papers in and pour water in a leave? how long would it take from them to be destroyed? Thank you.

Sorry to hear you suffer with asthma x

I put mine in a kitchen bin pour water in and stir it round, leave for and hour, stir and bag it for the bin or tip, asthma is allergy related, mainly controlled with meds and steroid inhalers but smoke/perfume and the like set it off.
    I really wouldn't burn stuff :)
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Daisymaisy
    Daisymaisy Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, I think the dampness is the way forward. I dont have a composter so think it will be bin and water. Seems much more environmentally, neighbour and hard work friendly. x

Happy to offer suggestions. Do you have/can get an old liquidiser on freecycle? If so you can tear up your paper, soak until completely saturated and then put in batches in the liquidiser with some water and turn on. Hey presto pulped paper which can then be spread out to dry and thrown in with your recycling. This is essentially a technique used in making paper so if you got some basic paper making supplies you could recycle and make some new paper to boot :)
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, I think the dampness is the way forward. I dont have a composter so think it will be bin and water. Seems much more environmentally, neighbour and hard work friendly. x

I agree with that ;)

• Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    By the way, I hope you are feeling a bit better than you were when you chose your username

• Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    I put mine in a kitchen bin pour water in and stir it round, leave for and hour, stir and bag it for the bin or tip, asthma is allergy related, mainly controlled with meds and steroid inhalers but smoke/perfume and the like set it off.
    I really wouldn't burn stuff :)

is that all it takes, that sounds like a good idea. i will do that, our recycling gets collected in special bags by the council which makes it easier so can bag up, and then put out for collection with no worry.

it must be very difficult for you when your out and about. x
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    Daisymaisy wrote: »
    Happy to offer suggestions. Do you have/can get an old liquidiser on freecycle? If so you can tear up your paper, soak until completely saturated and then put in batches in the liquidiser with some water and turn on. Hey presto pulped paper which can then be spread out to dry and thrown in with your recycling. This is essentially a technique used in making paper so if you got some basic paper making supplies you could recycle and make some new paper to boot :)

what a wonderful idea, freecycle? not heard of that. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure