We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Incineration of paper and branches in garden! Help Please!

Options

Comments

• grandmaster00
    Options
    composting the lot would be better..
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options

but what would happen if someone gained entry to my garden and went through a composter which I dont actually have and then stole all of my confidential paperwork?
    :j DMP started on 1st Oct 11 - 6 yrs 0 mths till DFD :j
    May 2018 Debt free date - Mission to clear before!
    Depression is a challenge, Debt is a challenge and I have been given these challenges to be a stronger person. Focus and determination is the key with hard work!
  • celerity
    celerity Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    but what would happen if someone gained entry to my garden and went through a composter which I dont actually have and then stole all of my confidential paperwork?

Get some chickens - a few weeks of chicken poo laid over the top of it would put off all but the most determined of intelligence agents or tabloid newshounds ;).

/\dam
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Blackpool_Saver Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    put papers in water to destroy, take rest to tip. If a neighbour started burning stuff here i would go nuts and my asthma would go into orbit, it was bad enough with the last idiot and his backfiring petrol lawnmower and all the smoke that made !!!!!!!!!!
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Daisymaisy
    Daisymaisy Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was going to suggest tearing it up and composting too, not sure how many identity theft thieves have turned to rooting through compost heaps/bins. The paper would become damp very soon and once damp a bit of a fork through and it would disintegrate anyway.
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    celerity wrote: »
    Get some chickens - a few weeks of chicken poo laid over the top of it would put off all but the most determined of intelligence agents or tabloid newshounds ;).

/\dam

:rotfl: now that sounds like a plan! :rotfl:
    Depression is a challenge, Debt is a challenge and I have been given these challenges to be a stronger person. Focus and determination is the key with hard work!
  • celerity
    celerity Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options

You do realise this would still release the same amount of carbon back into the atmosphere as burning, right?

It's the same principle as using wood for fuel - you may as well burn it to heat your home (in a wood stove ideally) rather than let it decay and release carbon naturally as it decomposes.

Trees are carbon sinks only during their lifetime - when they decompose the carbon goes back into the atmosphere.

/\dam
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    put papers in water to destroy, take rest to tip. If a neighbour started burning stuff here i would go nuts and my asthma would go into orbit, it was bad enough with the last idiot and his backfiring petrol lawnmower and all the smoke that made !!!!!!!!!!

ahhh now that is an idea which sounds like easy work! Would it be a case of getting a big bin, put all papers in and pour water in a leave? how long would it take from them to be destroyed? Thank you.

Sorry to hear you suffer with asthma x
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wow yeh lets all go and reply to peoples general questions and queries with sarcasm! :D

Oooh can we?? - what a great idea ;)

I am surprised more people don't do it
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    Daisymaisy wrote: »
    I was going to suggest tearing it up and composting too, not sure how many identity theft thieves have turned to rooting through compost heaps/bins. The paper would become damp very soon and once damp a bit of a fork through and it would disintegrate anyway.

Thank you for your reply, I think the dampness is the way forward. I dont have a composter so think it will be bin and water. Seems much more environmentally, neighbour and hard work friendly. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure