We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Incineration of paper and branches in garden! Help Please!

Options

Comments

• Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    Hehe I read this as "start a dairy". I was like, is that really the best idea when you are trying to sort out your finances :D Moooo!!

nice one for trying the alternative to burning. We have a neighbour who burns stuff, but in a very antisocial way - it isn't just dry paper and wood, it's fresh lawn clippings, plastic etc. makes awful black smoke. Our windows and the car are always absolutely filthy, even just after we've had them cleaned.

Oh and you HAVE to try freecycle / freegle. You would be amazed at the stuff that's on there, and the generosity of people when you ask for something. Last week I gave away a shoebox full of old craft odds and ends and the lady who came to collect it had brought a box of quality st for me! I protested, but she insisted. Win!

:D

Thats awful that your neighbour does that, have you approached the antisocial behaviour team at your local council, its an environmental issue? Always keep a diary for 2 weeks to envidence when they are doing it.

I have tried to join my local group but it doesnt seem to be letting me as its yahoo and I have hotmail. Think it might be easier if I set up a yahoo account and do it that way. Theres lots of bit I need for the house and lots of bits I would be happy to give away as I know I wouldnt be able to sell really. Thats so lovely of the lady, really kind. xx
    :j DMP started on 1st Oct 11 - 6 yrs 0 mths till DFD :j
    May 2018 Debt free date - Mission to clear before!
    Depression is a challenge, Debt is a challenge and I have been given these challenges to be a stronger person. Focus and determination is the key with hard work!
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    I bought one to burn loads of branches etc that were spiky etc. the one tip i would recommend is douse the area uder and around with water first as one spark in warm weather and it can ignite anything.
    it is smokey at first but settles down, i checked with local council first to ensure it was ok, basically i can light fires occasionally at , any time of day so long as im considerate to neighbours and check smog warnings etc first so i dont add to it.

Thank you for your tip, I wouldnt have thought of that at all. I am only really becoming a little green fingered! :o xx

And I love your signature, its so true and lovely!!!
    Depression is a challenge, Debt is a challenge and I have been given these challenges to be a stronger person. Focus and determination is the key with hard work!
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    The whole environmentally smoke free paper mache way isnt going to well to be honest. I put all the paperwork in the bin, put water in it, stirred it various times yesterday, left it over night and checked this morning and it doesnt seem to have done very much :huh: so Ive tried to stir it as much as I can and added lots more water, I think the problem is I have put far too much paperwork in there.... ooooops! I cant get down to the bottom of it as theres it just seems to be stuck! Help! I have lots more to do! Only I can muck something so simple up! xx
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want my honest advice, stop all this idea of putting the paper in water, it was never going to work very well.
    Keep the paper in the shed and start a compost bin. When it needs it, which will be often, put some paper in the bin.

How big is your garden and what do you grow in it? You could use the wet paper in a runner bean trench if you want to grow them, other than that I'm sure there are some other ideas of what to do with it. Personally I would just tip it out and let it dry, then stick it at the bottom of the new compost bin. Although it might not work too well there, depends how it dries.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    Hm, yes maybe there's too much in there. oh poor you, trying to do the right thing and you've just ended up with a big mess!! Don't have much advice I'm afraid!

I use freecycle with my gmail account, yes you have to set up a yahoo groups account but you don't have to have a yahoo email address to do that.

The bonfire burning neighbour is a little elusive, he usually has his bonfires during weekdays and we are at work all day so can't actually record them - of course for us that is OK as at least we aren't there having our washing ruined- although obviously everything gets dirty. Occasionally he has one at the weekend but fingers crossed we've had none this year. He lives 3 doors down - I've been warned by my next door neighbour not to approach him about it as apparently he is a very strange and quite frightening man!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have tried to join my local group but it doesnt seem to be letting me as its yahoo and I have hotmail. Think it might be easier if I set up a yahoo account and do it that way. Theres lots of bit I need for the house and lots of bits I would be happy to give away as I know I wouldnt be able to sell really. Thats so lovely of the lady, really kind. xx

I've been rying to work out yahoo accounts for years now. I get a yahoo digest from an online group (not freecycle) and I have no idea ho to get back on or change settings or anything. It never recognises my passwords and it won't let me start a new account. I have asked dh
    and friends to put stuff on freecycle/freegle in the past but I can't do it myself. Its one of those things that reminds me the internet is a scary place for technophobes. I'm sure there is a world of stuff I want and need and can't get to out there! ;)
  • radiohelen
    radiohelen Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake. Just burn them. It won't take long if you scrunch. Do it on a miserable day when no-one has their washing out and most windows are closed. Put the ashes on your plants and in a compost heap.
    On the green front - it's as bad to burn or compost...the carbon gets released whichever and in fact if you send the paper to the dump it doesn't decompose because it's too compacted. Recycling is the best option but tbh you can't do that very well with lots of personal papers unless you shred them which takes hours (I know, I've just emptied our filing cabinet and yes it went on the bonfire).
    Well behaved women rarely make history.
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    If you want my honest advice, stop all this idea of putting the paper in water, it was never going to work very well.
    Keep the paper in the shed and start a compost bin. When it needs it, which will be often, put some paper in the bin.

How big is your garden and what do you grow in it? You could use the wet paper in a runner bean trench if you want to grow them, other than that I'm sure there are some other ideas of what to do with it. Personally I would just tip it out and let it dry, then stick it at the bottom of the new compost bin. Although it might not work too well there, depends how it dries.

At the moment I dont grow anything, its quiet a big garden but was very overgrown and had odd things in it and weeeeds! We have cleared it so its free now and this summer I would like to start doing it. I really want to grown vegetables and fruit, I understand that its a bit late in the season now to grow somethings but I want to prepare it ready for when i can, to be honest with you I am not a good gardener! Its all very good tips, I never would have thought you could use paper for a compost.
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    Hm, yes maybe there's too much in there. oh poor you, trying to do the right thing and you've just ended up with a big mess!! Don't have much advice I'm afraid!

I use freecycle with my gmail account, yes you have to set up a yahoo groups account but you don't have to have a yahoo email address to do that.

The bonfire burning neighbour is a little elusive, he usually has his bonfires during weekdays and we are at work all day so can't actually record them - of course for us that is OK as at least we aren't there having our washing ruined- although obviously everything gets dirty. Occasionally he has one at the weekend but fingers crossed we've had none this year. He lives 3 doors down - I've been warned by my next door neighbour not to approach him about it as apparently he is a very strange and quite frightening man!

Thank you, its ok, I am going to take it out and see how much it breaks up etc. I will remain positive! :rotfl:

I have joined freecycle, I just set up a new account thought it would be easier in the end and I have been accepted. exciting!

If any problems do arise just go through the council or police. Frightening - not good! x
  • Lost_and_nervous
    Options
    I've been rying to work out yahoo accounts for years now. I get a yahoo digest from an online group (not freecycle) and I have no idea ho to get back on or change settings or anything. It never recognises my passwords and it won't let me start a new account. I have asked dh
    and friends to put stuff on freecycle/freegle in the past but I can't do it myself. Its one of those things that reminds me the internet is a scary place for technophobes. I'm sure there is a world of stuff I want and need and can't get to out there! ;)

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties too, its not simple. Well hopefully one day it will be nice to you!!! :D x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure