MSE News: PlayStation users' data stolen in hack: what should you do?

edited 3 May 2011 at 2:20PM in Credit Cards
64 replies 8.3K views

Replies

• sawan82sawan82 Forumite
    856 Posts
    It is a relief to know my card will be cancelled automatically if the details were leaked. But that's not necessarily good news, as they day before Sony released this update, said card was used for Olympics tickets! So if it is cancelled, it's going to be a problem if I somehow manage to get tickets :(
    No buying unnecessary toiletries/makeup in May: Unnecessary spend £17.60
    May
    INs: 14 UUs/OUTs/GAs: 11
    2012 INs: 77 UUs/OUTs/GAs: 91
    Savings from UUs: £60.50

• would you all recommend cancelling of cards then? i never realised this was such a big problem but reading all the stories on the internet has scared the hell out of me!!! me and the oh both have our cards on our accounts (im always buyin songs for singstar lol)
    Mum of 2 Under 5s
    Now working woop woop.:D DIY store - Loving it!
    In Debt:( Just under £16,000 CCCS recommended Bankruptcy...On token payments for now.

PPI Reclaimed LLoyds TSB 19/09/12 £1915.96
  • I used my card 2 days before the hackers caused mayhem.It was the 1st time I had used it on PSN to buy download maps for Black Ops for my son.Sony were aware from 17th April that hackers were at work,yet took over a week to publicly come out and say it had happened.I received the email this morning that my card was probably one of the ones that had been affected by this.I have now cancelled my card at great inconvenience to myself given it is a Bank Holiday weekend.I have also been getting,since last week,numerous calls on the house phone from unavailable numbers pertaining to be from various 'surveys' and some of them have been at 4am and 7am.Sony bragged before all this happened that theirs was one of the most secure Networks and their should not be any need for antivirus software on PS3 systems!!! Now we know different dont we!! I have also got my bank(Clydesdale) monitoring my account for any discrepences etc.Sony have got a lot to answer for given the scale of the breach of peoples personal data alone.What a wake up call for them!!
  • ILWILW
    18.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me, entering your card details onto a computer game does sound a little daft.
  • Not really when it is supposed to be just as safe as using the internet via a computer.Sony should never have let this happen,they prided themselves on having very tight security surrounding gamers accounts.The PS3 is just another way of getting on line to do lots of things that you could do on a normal computer and more,so I dont think its silly.In saying that it has made me more alert and wary about trusting them in the future.
  • It wasnt a computer game that I entered details into,it was the Playstation Network which has online shops etc.
  • u109230u109230 Forumite
    121 Posts
    ILW wrote: »
    Is it just me, entering your card details onto a computer game does sound a little daft.

I agree, I had to enter my CC details to enable my sons XBox Live account on his 360. I just hope Microsoft are better protected than Sony.............not something that fills me with great optimism:eek:
    Time is a concept of relativity, yet as a concept, relativity is timeless.
  • ILWILW
    18.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think I will stick top the odd game of tennis down the park.
  • would you all recommend cancelling of cards then? i never realised this was such a big problem but reading all the stories on the internet has scared the hell out of me!!! me and the oh both have our cards on our accounts (im always buyin songs for singstar lol)

For what it's worth my teenage son had used his lloyds tsb debit card on psn. I went into our local branch yesterday and the staff member I spoke to cancelled his card straight away. She said that was what they were advising but other lloyds customers have said that staff they spoke to said that it wasn't necessary so it seems to be individual branches or staff advising differently so you takes your choice really. We cancelled:cool:
  • u109230 wrote: »
    I agree, I had to enter my CC details to enable my sons XBox Live account on his 360. I just hope Microsoft are better protected than Sony.............not something that fills me with great optimism:eek:

Just be aware that once your card details are in the system they can be used again without having to input them each time. So in effect they are stored and then microsoft will auto renew the membership and also Microsoft points, game downloads and anything else they sell can be bought as well without you inputting again. We always use the pre paid cards for live renewal, points etc that way your card details are never on the 'system' to get stolen. Plus other places have special offers on and you can usually get your membership or points cheaper.

Usual price for a twelve month membership buying over the console is forty pounds? Play.com had it for £35.00 with 2100 points included on an offer a few months ago. Also tesco had all gaming stuff with twenty percent off a while back as well so always worth checking.

Wish I had known this prior to son putting his details into his playstation though!:mad: always wise after the event!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide