MSE News: PlayStation users' data stolen in hack: what should you do?

edited 3 May 2011 at 2:20PM in Credit Cards
64 replies 8.3K views

Replies

• ShakakaShakaka Forumite
    19 Posts
    Theblueone wrote: »
    Just been into lloyds tsb about this (before I read this) regarding teenage sons debit card as he has used it on ps3. The staff member I spoke to knew all about it and just cancelled the card there and then and ordered him a new one. Very helpful and despite assurances it's better to know they can't get at your card details rather than wait for them to commit the fraud and then try to get your money back. He no longer uses his ps3 much anyway and has moved to xbox at least with them you can buy a prepaid card for downloads etc from tesco or wherever and your card details don't go anywhere near the console. Sony need to introduce a system like that to get everyones faith back! We won't be trusting them with anything again for a long time!,,,

Playstation have PSN Card which is a pay as you go card which you can by in Tesco, Curry, Game etc
  • mysunimysuni Forumite
    237 Posts
    if i haven't had an email does it mean my details are ok?
  • Shakaka wrote: »
    Playstation have PSN Card which is a pay as you go card which you can by in Tesco, Curry, Game etc

I understand there is, I never knew about these for psn so you learn something new everyday:beer:

Thank you! If he ever goes back to his playstation then I will definitely be using these:T
  • mysuni wrote: »
    if i haven't had an email does it mean my details are ok?

Have you changed your email address? We haven't had an email either but that because we have changed email address
  • pippy100pippy100 Forumite
    190 Posts
    Shakaka wrote: »
    They have been around for ages but unfortunately they only come in £25 or £50 cards which i believe has only recently changed(i think they started at £20) but it is quite steep.
    Whenever i topped my sons playstation up, i always did it from the family computer and not the playstation its self and always made sure i wiped the card details off as they store them automatically which i was not comfortable with.
    Even through all that i still cancelled my card just in case, but had used a debit card once which is with Halifax and they advised they aware of the situation and not to cancel the card as they have put extra security to monitor suspisious activity.
    We can only keep our fingers crossed nothing bad happens.
  • TribulationTribulation Forumite
    4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would have thought anyone who used their cards on it would be better off cancelling them.

Cancelled both my cards that have been used on the PSN. Will get replacements within 7 days.

Neither company wanted to cancel them when I asked why, NatWest suggesting I check my account twice a day and contact their fraud dept if I notice anything wrong.

I insisted and got replacement cards.

Chances are everything would be fine.

It's also true that if things did go wrong, I would get my money back,

But I bet it would take a LONG time to get my money back, meanwhile would have insufficient funds to pay for other things.

That's without a financial company using the excuse that as I was aware of a problem with PSN but chose not to notify them that my card details might have been stolen, I haven't followed their terms hence they're not refunding me

A lot of presumptions yes.

But for the sake of a couple of phone calls and having to use one of my other cards for a week, the peace of mind is worth it to me.
    Martin Lewis is always giving us advice on how to force companies to do things.

How about giving us advice on how to remove ourselves from any part of MoneySupermarket.com

I hereby withdraw any permission Martin might have implied he gave MoneySupermarket.com to use any of my data. Further more, I do not wish ANY data about me, or any of my posts etc to be held on any computer system held by MoneySupermarket.com or any business it has any commercial interests in.
  • edited 28 April 2011 at 7:32PM
    pippy100pippy100 Forumite
    190 Posts
    edited 28 April 2011 at 7:32PM
    Tribulation- I agree with you on cancelling the cards.

I stupidly have used 3 different cards on psn, 2 credit cards and 1 debit card and i have made the decision not to cancel the debit card also on the advice from Halifax as it would leave me with the no cards to use.
    When i receive my new credit cards i will possibly look to cancel my debit card (hoping that nothing happens inbetween) but i will take Halifax's advice and hope they have it covered :o
    Oh- both credit cards did not hesitate in cancelling them but debit card advised there was no need to do this as they have security in place.
  • AtomAtom Forumite
    295 Posts
    Btw the people or individual who exploited PSN servers had most likely been there for a while and this is sony just noticing it - they got cc number and expiry date not the cvv.
    The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
  • Worried about this! I took my card details off my account today :(
  • Atom wrote: »
    Btw the people or individual who exploited PSN servers had most likely been there for a while and this is sony just noticing it - they got cc number and expiry date not the cvv.

I'm not so sure about this. Sony have not confirmed that any CC details have been stolen (though they are being very vague, they simply don't seem to know...).

They have categorically stated that the CC details you mention (# and expiry, not CVV) are stored in an encrypted format (required by law) in a separate dataset to the password, email info. etc.

Personally, cancelling my CC would be a real pain as getting a new one tends to take weeks which means no online purchases. I will be getting a second CC - if I already had one I would probably cancel the one used on the PSN just for 100% peace of mind, though I'm not overly worried.

What I have certainly IMMEDIATELY done is change the passwords of any accounts I use with the same password as used on the PSN. Because of the legitimate nature of the PSN, people tend to use their primary email address as their username and a password they may tend to use for other sites they believe 'secure', like Paypal, banking sites, ebay etc. Potentially disasterous and a likely form of attack if the info was stolen for financial gain.

It seems the anticipated threat now is more for potential phishing scams than use of the (possibly/possibly not) stolen encrypted data for CC fraud.

Ironically, unrelated scammers are likely to utilise the panic caused by this security breach to target people worried about their PSN account and might end up being a bigger actual threat to the many less technically savvy people out there than the hackers.

At the end of the day I am extremely disappointed with Sony. With how they have allowed this to happen and more so, how they have handled it with regards to the customer.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides