MSE News: PlayStation users' data stolen in hack: what should you do?

edited 3 May 2011 at 2:20PM in Credit Cards
64 replies 8.3K views

Replies

• Sue them for what? A non-loss?
    Would Sony sue me for drinking a cup of coffee, as I could scald a passer by ;)

For having shoddy security perhaps.
    It's a good lesson for people blindly trusting companies with their information too.
  • I just got the hack e-mail from Sony. I already cancelled my cards this morning anyway. Lloyds didn't want me to cancel my cards, they said they were aware of the hack and were monitoring bank accounts. Does that mean they are using people's bank accounts to try to find out who the hacker was? lol nice... Canceled my cards anyway, rather not risk it.
    So so SO tired of being ripped off, and mislead
    Hope sharing saves some pain.
  • pippy100pippy100 Forumite
    190 Posts
    I didn't like the idea of using my card details on PS3, but gave in when realised sony do not do psn cards for less than £25( my son wanted £10).
    Oh how sorry i am now and certaintly won't be doing it again.!!!
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    davidfryuk wrote: »
    This is what I don't know. I assume it would be for breach of contract for loosing my data, thoughts? :question:

Ye Gods !!!!
  • pippy100 wrote: »
    I didn't like the idea of using my card details on PS3, but gave in when realised sony do not do psn cards for less than £25( my son wanted £10).
    Oh how sorry i am now and certaintly won't be doing it again.!!!

This is interesting as I didn't know psn did a pre paid card system! Where do u get them from?
  • Sue them for what? A non-loss?
    Would Sony sue me for drinking a cup of coffee, as I could scald a passer by ;)
    Theblueone wrote: »
    This is interesting as I didn't know psn did a pre paid card system! Where do u get them from?

Supermarkets (e.g. Sainsburys, Tescos, etc)
  • cos_2cos_2 Forumite
    624 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    When my bank account was hacked a few years ago it took Halifax over four weeks to refund me. They were really informative and helpful, but they said it was just a small team that dealt with these issues so I went into a queue. It meant I had to buy foodstuff and fuel etc. on a credit card as the theft had gone over my overdraft limit. Not a pleasant experience.

I'd surmise that the banks will try to allocate more staff to deal with this if it becomes a major issue.
  • Viper_7Viper_7 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Based on previous cases of card data loss - if it comes out they have lost card data, it would be the end of Sony. Naturally they wouldn't allow that to happen.

We've not heard the details - and I doubt we will - but this as a very very serious breach of confidential data.
    If this is not an internal leak then they have very poor security protocols in place and would fail most audits and shouldn't be trusted with such data.
  • GoldustGoldust Forumite
    522 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I'm more worried about someone obtaining credit fraudulently as they have enough detail to do it easily.

I know I can view my credit report for free but as far as I know you have to pay if you want something that monitors it regularly and lets you know if anything is applied for/obtained in your name.

I may do this anyway to reduce the risk but seems a bit unfair as it's not my fault!
  • chattychappychattychappy Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never had this problem with Pacman
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News