PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bairstow Eves Estate agent

Options
1235»

Comments

• Loopgames
    Loopgames Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    We sold our flat with them in early january this year.

The flat had been on the market with another agent originally and hardly had any viewings. We placed it with BE at a higher rate of commission and we had lots of viewings and 3 offers.

We were generally happy with their offers though one thing I would say is perhaps we were pressured to use their own conveyancer's (sp?!).

Although they were very good I wouldn't change what we did but you may want your own at a cheaper rate than their's.

The team we had were lovely and they kept us up to date. I would use them again if I wanted someone reliable although it does again depend on the area. The staff at the Barkingside office were lovely:)
  • derogatoryboy
    Options
    I bought my house through BE and once I'd had my offer accepted they were of no use whatsoever. I had to chase up everything myself and really felt like they'd done nothing to earn a fee.

If I come to sell this place they definitely won't be the agents!
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I last looked they weren't members of the NAEA / Code of Practice. I don't know if that's changed since then, but I always wondered at what practices they had which they didn't want to be scrutinised too closely.

I do recall going in once to enquire for property details of a friend's house - kind of mystery shopper. They refused to give me them unless I had proof of mortgage or had had a successful appointment with their mortgage adviser. My friend went ballistic at them; it was totally contrary to his expectations of them. It may have been a local branch issue, but I always thought it indicated where their priorities lay...
  • tyler80
    tyler80 Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    They annoy me because they like to use the phrase "like a tardice" (sic) in their property descriptions. The phrase itself is bad enough but to include a spelling mistake as well...

On the positive side, at least they include floorplans which is an improvement on other agents in this area

They're not the worst agents I've dealt with though
  • zara*elise
    zara*elise Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options
    Ask them if they get commission when they sign up a seller AND when a sale completes and see how they respond. Usually there's a bit of sweating, coughing and question-dodging. Wouldn't use them at all.
    Foreign politicians often zing stereotypical tunes, mayday, mayday, Venezuela, neck
  • Saffy111
    Saffy111 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I used them to try and purchase two properties as a FTB. On both occasions I was charged over £1000 for a survey on each property which I naively paid. And on both occasions my survey was given to the vendor a week before I saw it. And on both occasions the properties were riddled with damp and other problems. And on both occasions the property was then taken off the market by the vendor whilst they fixed the problems identified in the surveys I paid for.

I found out 6 months later that the vendor was 'friends' with the estate agent I was dealing with, and that this was fairly common practice at that particular branch. I made several complaints but nothing was done or taken seriously. I learnt some huge lessons, and whilst you can't tar an entire company because of the actions of one of two people, my personal expereince was very upsetting and expensive. I wouldn't go near them ever again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure