PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bairstow Eves Estate agent

Options
Hi We are looking to put our house on the market with Bairstow Eves EAS. Are they Good and do they charge for showing people around whilst you no there.
Many Thanks
Oggy

Comments

• theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am not aware of any estate agent that charges for showing people around as that is why they are paid at the end on results.

A few years back bairstow eves had the nickname (from insiders) as bar steward (but fatherless) thieves....if you get the gist. Personally they wouldnt be my first choice
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • oggy1511_2
    oggy1511_2 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Well they coming round Tuesday to do the piccys so will ask them then
    Thanks
    Oggy
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would choose a small independent firm over a chain like Countrywide any day. What are they charging you? Their minimum fee of £2,800 + VAT?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Niowrtt
    Niowrtt Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    I took a look at their website. Gosh, that looks familiar, let's take a closer look at the information pages...
    We are part of Countrywide, the UK’s largest residential property group, which allows us unrivalled national exposure as well as access to everything you need when buying or selling property.
    Run away! Run away!
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with theGrinch on this. I viewed a few properties with them, and their sales literature was littered with inaccurate information. The most memorable was a second (top) floor apartment, that was actually on the first floor. Rather than admit a mistake they tried to argue that the first floor was in fact the second floor, yet the apartments they had that were truly on the second floor were also listed as ... the second floor!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • oggy1511_2
    Options
    The Fees they charging are 1850 which we didnt think was to bad to be fair.
    Thanks Oggy
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    oggy1511 wrote: »
    The Fees they charging are 1850 which we didnt think was to bad to be fair.
    Thanks Oggy
    That would depend on the selling price? Who else has been to look at the house?

I'm not suggesting this of Countrywide of course, but some agents' obsession with getting mortgage business, conveyancing and selling tied life products doesn't sit well with me.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • oggy1511_2
    Options
    We Have Had David Blount They tried to get us to see their Financial Adviser to see about the mortgage but we got our own Independent Financial Adviser and we told them that. We are putting it on the market for 72,000.
  • oggy1511_2
    Options
    I mean Bairstow Eves tried to get us to see their Financial Advisor
  • jennyo
    jennyo Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    They dealt with the sale of my late mums house approx 18 months ago and were excellent. They gave the highest valuation of the 3 estate agents we had round, and said they had people waiting for a property like this. 2 viewings on the first day resulted in 2 full offers, we ended up 10k above asking price. Sale went smoothly, I can't praise them highly enough, but of course it will always depend on staff at that branch.
    Debt Free Dec 2009
    non-smoker 19th Nov 2010
    Trying to lose weight 40lb/42lb

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills