PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bairstow Eves Estate agent

Options

Comments

• new_home_owner_3
    Options
    I have bought and sold and the only time i went into a estate agent was to collect the keys, tell a lie i went into bairstow eves when they tried to force their mortgage advisor on me.

all estate agents will offer to show buyers your house, then you can simply pick up the phone and ask them how the viewing went.

i tried to sell with bairstow eves aswell they said they had buyers waiting i think that was more lies, now most agents charge about 1.5% so if they do sell at asking price you will lose abouatt 900 pound and thats without vat.

ask yourself this what can bairstow eves offer you what no other agent can?

i appreciate a online agents would be no good as you need viewings to be done by the agent.

but if you want to have a extra 900 pound in your pocket then i would steer clear of bairstow eves.
  • go_cat
    go_cat Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bairstow Eves staff work on commission hnece their eagerness for you to sell or buy from them. They do not get it until the deal is finalised
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    oggy1511 wrote: »
    only 6 actually in Sutton in Ashfield and one of them arent in Sutton

People use rightmove.

Postcode or area in rightmove and see what comes up.

If houses are listed in rightmove -
    626 properties for sale found

then it'll sell with ANY of the other Ea.

Are recent sold prices for similar properties to yours similar to the value they have priced yours at?
  • greenmoneysaver_2
    Options
    Same as many of the others - I would avoid and use a small local agent.

The fees seem steep and the 16 week lock in is REALLY long - do you want to be locked into a contract until the start of Sept? Most contracts are shorter and if they have geuine buyers would accept you negotiating an 8 week contract.

Again, it does depend on the staff in the local branch - but they still make more money from the mortgages than the sales so expect

1) high valuation to put it on with them
    2) offers only from people they can put through their mortgage people
    3) other buyers with own mortgage snubbed

If you like them at least do joint agency for 12 weeks?
    Give yourself a Chistmas bonus £14 a week!
    Total so far £28
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We viewed through them and hubby considered them to sell his flat and all I can say is 'pushy pushy pushy'.

I suggest viewing through several agents and see how they treat you and whether they push for you to see their financial adviser before/after viewings. Then think about how you'd want your viewers treated and whether or not it'd put them off.

I'm sure it varies area to area. If you have recommendations for your local branch, maybe take a gamble. Generally, their reputation has never been great, especially down south (Essex, particularly, to the best of my knowledge). I worked in property in the late '80s/early-mid '90s and their reputation wasn't great then either. Unfortunately the 'b****** thieves' name has stuck since way back then.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Orpheo
    Orpheo Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    I have summed up in bullet points below what BE will do better than any other EA.

• They will get the largest fee.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • tiny_tear
    tiny_tear Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    i am trying to sell with them and honestly, compared to Haart they have been better - get me many more viewings and give me some feedback... and actually they gave me the lowest valuation...

still haven't sold, but don't think it's because of them...
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 April 2011 at 11:05AM
    Options
    I would ask 3 or 4 agents to value and then see who you feel most comfortable with. All this national network is a load of bull as often branches in national chains are franchised and do not work together. In fact, they are very protective of their own patch. That is not a reason to accept or reject them but dont be swayed by this. The only chain I have sold with is Winkworths and I was happy with them.

Personally, I would tend to go with a local independent firm with 1 or more offices but all locally who I feel is straight talking without overselling.

You should always try to negotiate on fees and ask for their plan to sell as well as sole agency period. Often agents will cut their fees and lock in. 8 weeks is reasonable. 16 weeks is very long and unreasonable. After week 8, they have new stock to push and yours will be tired in their eyes.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had the honour of being blacklisted by one branch. My crime was to send them written feedback detailing exactly where their sales details were inaccurate. Things like unfinished bathrooms & kitchens really need a mention! It was a commercial place with potential, but required £££ to put it right. The impression given was that it was trading, but apart from being open, it wasn't.

At that time, the brand Bairstow Eves was a franchise, and perhaps it still is, under the notorious Countrywide umbrella.
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They have a nickname and work on commission is about all that I have gleaned from this thread.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure