We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Options

Comments

• Jw12
    Options
    This is why retailers are closing down because people don’t put money into them. They try get products for the smallest prices. If you like the item buy it whatever the price don’t think oo I want it cheaper. Just enjoy the product.
  • Jw12
    Options
    If somebody buys something at full price (but cannot prove it - no receipt and doesn’t remember exactly when bought) it has gone faulty and now it is reduced. What’s the sitch ? Because it says on here that a bank statement is sufficient but the bank statement just says a total amount of a purchase not that exact item with exact price.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So does he have any recourse based on the IP53 rating or is this a throw away and start again.

I suspect the amount of water contact considered by IP53 as rain is considerably less than the drenching you have described.

Even the phones that have been described by some manufacturers (Not Google, IIRC,) as water-resistant, still have exclusions in their warranties for moisture-damage!
  • C_James
    Options
    My partner booked a company to do hair and make-up for our wedding around a year ago, and paid a £150 deposit to cover her trials and to hold the date. With just over 2 months to go (and around 2 weeks before the trials) they get in touch and explain that there will be around £80 in additional costs for their travel and for various services (including lashes) which she assumed was included in their initial quote (given venue was already known).

She wants to cancel and go with another provider, but I'm concerned she won't get any of the deposit back. I don't think it's on that they can add an additional 10% of the price on in costs though (they're based less than a mile away, and charging £30 for transport). I'd hope that them specifically stating the £150 also covers the trials might offer a chance to claim some of it back though?
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My son bought a Google Pixle XL mobile phone on contract, over the first 8 months of the contract the first phone was replaced due to a faulty microphone, the second phone the circuit board went faulty with the phone over heating (loss of use over 30 days), the third phone which my son received worked perfectly and we went on holiday a month later andthe family got caught in a tropical storm (drenched) his phone like everyone else was in his pocket but stopped working later that night.

According to the information on the Google Pixle XL it is IP53 compliant which should mean it can withstand being rained on but is not submergible which I feel they are incorrect

My son has contacted the normal Google Support and the Mobiles.co.uk (were it took the contract out) but as expected they have declined to fix it.

So does he have any recourse based on the IP53 rating or is this a throw away and start again.

Thanks

Unfortunately the first gen pixel had too many holes to be reliably water resistant as you've discovered. I don't think you'll get anywhere with the warranty, but it's possible that it could still be repaired by simply disassembling it and letting the components dry out, although the longer the moisture remains the greater the chance a damp short turns into corrosion.

Unfortunately I believe the pixel is glued together so taking it apart yourself isn't all that straightforward. Still, might be worth taking it to a local repair shop or looking up a disassembly guide on youtube.

Source: I've had to rescue a Nexus 5x (The pixel's predecessor) from multiple dunks in water.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • gmarigold
    Options
    Good morning,
    My wife brought me a Sharp's TV in November 2017 and last week it completely stopped working,found out the circuit board had blown a couple of components.
    Spoke to Sharps and they want £70 to pick up & check and then quote me the job.
    Have tried looking on EBay for circuit board,no luck yet.
    Do i have any rights with Sharp or the shop where i brought it from?
    Thanks
    Grant
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    gmarigold wrote: »
    Good morning,
    My wife brought me a Sharp's TV in November 2017 and last week it completely stopped working,found out the circuit board had blown a couple of components.
    Spoke to Sharps and they want £70 to pick up & check and then quote me the job.
    Have tried looking on EBay for circuit board,no luck yet.
    Do i have any rights with Sharp or the shop where i brought it from?
    Thanks
    Grant

Any rights against Sharp would be based on any warranty or guarantee (or reliant on their goodwill). Sounds like there is no warranty/guarantee.

Statutory rights are against the shop bought from. These are your wifes rights though so they may not deal with you directly.

When more than 6 months has passed since purchase the onus is on the consumer to prove an inherent fault so if the shop don't accept liability your wife may need an independent report to prove this is the case.

If your wife can prove an inherent fault she can ask for a free repair or replacement (shop can choose which).
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    C_James wrote: »
    My partner booked a company to do hair and make-up for our wedding around a year ago, and paid a £150 deposit to cover her trials and to hold the date. With just over 2 months to go (and around 2 weeks before the trials) they get in touch and explain that there will be around £80 in additional costs for their travel and for various services (including lashes) which she assumed was included in their initial quote (given venue was already known).

She wants to cancel and go with another provider, but I'm concerned she won't get any of the deposit back. I don't think it's on that they can add an additional 10% of the price on in costs though (they're based less than a mile away, and charging £30 for transport). I'd hope that them specifically stating the £150 also covers the trials might offer a chance to claim some of it back though?

How did she pay?
    How was the contract formed - phone/online/at traders premises/at home?
    Did she get a written contract?

Any price given by a trader should be the full price to be charged including all extras and taxes. Or if this cannot be calculated at the time, it must explain how it will be calculated.

Was there any mention at all of travel and what did it say?
  • C_James
    Options
    Thanks for this- completely missed that you'd replied.

My understanding was that this was done through the company's Facebook page (via their direct messaging function). I'll ask for the specific wording, but believe there was a stated cost for each person to cover "make-up and hair", plus a mention that there would be travel costs depending on the distance (the distance is under a mile). No breakdown of how this would be calculated was given at the time I believe.
  • Lee_G32
    Options
    Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of shoes in a sale (with a 50% discount) which have become faulty inside their warranty period. I have contacted the manufacturer who said as they are discontinued they can only provide me a refund of the value paid and a £30.00 voucher. Although I feel I am entitled to an equivalent replacement I have reluctantly accepted. I am now being told I am only able to be offered a £30.00 voucher and not the full refund. I have 2 questions:

1. Am I legally entitled to at least a full refund due to warranty?
    2. Are they legally allowed to change their offer?

I have evidence of the original offer made also.

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport