New Post Advanced Search

Pressure from 'Friends' and people you know

edited 19 April 2011 at 6:34PM in Debt-Free Wannabe
116 replies 19.1K views
167891012»

Replies

• rictus123rictus123 Forumite
    2.6K posts
    MSE has taken over me recently and what a massive difference its made. I dont let anyone pressure me into nights out etc anymore
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • quanticquantic Forumite
    1K posts
    Well I thought I would give a little update to this thread, over the past say 12 months me and my OH have been up and down with debt, in the past 3 months we have stuck to our guns and stopped ourselves from doing stuff that we know we cannot afford.

I've quit smoking, which is saving me somewhere in the region of £130-150 per month and have started taking lunches in to work everyday. OH has been doing some extra work and is just about paid of with the last of her debt now.

Reason I wanted to post this topic was because, I got paid today, and for the first time in about 12 months I had money in my current account before being paid. I have always been overdrawn when it got to the end of the month, it was about -£1800 at the worst point and this month was the first month that I had no debt, no overdraft and was in credit, meaning pretty much for the first time since I was 21 (im 25 now) I have my entire wage (less bills obviously).

Feels pretty good - so glad we decided to stick to our guns instead of following our friends spending habits.
  • RASRAS Forumite
    28.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done. Now you can look at that budget, re-work it, save a bit for a rainly day and enjoy a bit as well.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • CH27CH27 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    quantic wrote: »
    Well I thought I would give a little update to this thread, over the past say 12 months me and my OH have been up and down with debt, in the past 3 months we have stuck to our guns and stopped ourselves from doing stuff that we know we cannot afford.

I've quit smoking, which is saving me somewhere in the region of £130-150 per month and have started taking lunches in to work everyday. OH has been doing some extra work and is just about paid of with the last of her debt now.

Reason I wanted to post this topic was because, I got paid today, and for the first time in about 12 months I had money in my current account before being paid. I have always been overdrawn when it got to the end of the month, it was about -£1800 at the worst point and this month was the first month that I had no debt, no overdraft and was in credit, meaning pretty much for the first time since I was 21 (im 25 now) I have my entire wage (less bills obviously).

Feels pretty good - so glad we decided to stick to our guns instead of following our friends spending habits.

That's fantastic:T
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • quantic wrote: »

Congratulations :) That must feel amazing! Don't forget how hard you've had to work for it though. When I originally paid off my overdraft and had my first months wage to myself, I went out and blew it all on 'stuff' (cos I'd gone without for so long) and now I'm back where I started, trying to scramble out of an overdraft and back in full time study earning lots less than I used to!
    Enjoy yourself but keep what you've done in mind. :)
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay! good for you!

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support