PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Comments

• Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Worst thing I ever bought (a good few years ago now) was one of those stupid foaming blocks for the lavatory that you hooked over the bowl. It came off during a flush and got stuck halfway round the bend, so nothing else could be flushed away. It cost £70 then for the plumber to remove it, he couldn't get it out even with a long wire thing and in the end he had to take the pan off the wall.
  • billywhizz
    billywhizz Posts: 263 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ellie83 wrote: »
    The motion activated soap dispenser..... Yeah, it has germs on it, but the first thing you do after touching it is washing your hands... So what's the point? What is wrong with washing the bottle once in a while if you are afraid of germs? :D

I thought of these too, I do stare open mouthed at that advert and wonder who on earth .............
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    prepackage vegetables, cut up fruit, premade mash, in fact most ready meals
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I expect those pre-packaged veg are useful to people who work long hours and still want to eat proper food. I'm not judgemental about those even if I don't have any use for them myself.

One of the many things that exasperate me about ads are all of those only-one-use cleaning products. You'd almost need a walk-in closet to keep them all if you paid any attention to the ads.

Those self-activated air-fresheners! ACK!
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    I also like the pre packed stir fry veggies for a quick "take away" style dinner, still much cheaper than the Chinese, and than buying all the individual compnents and chopping/shredding them all. I wouldn't buy ready mash etc. though.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Sassers
    Sassers Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Can I just have a rant about over-scented laundry products? Especially those which are advertised as releasing some sort of a miasma...

I know I 'm not impressed either because I immediately thought of the Peanut's character :D
    Current debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
    DEBT FREE!
  • quintwins wrote: »
    i agree with airfreshners, but also tumble dryer sheets, there really is no need, and colour catchers if you sort your washing properly

I like tumble dryer sheets keeps, gets rid of the static.

Agree with the air freshner thingies though - all types, solid blocks, sprays plug in wotsits the self activating ones.
  • Let me see...

I agree anything other than basic loo roll - after all why waste money on something that just wipes off ****!

Fabric conditioner - line dry in a breeze - great smelling, soft and free.

Anti bac washing up liquid - please! We never got food poisoning from the normal stuff, but then we dont use manky cloths or sponges either. I prefer brush or plain hands.

Anything that 'pollutes' my air - air'freshners' - no they just pollute the air further but with a strong 'perfume'. Opening windows or cleaning the offending article are under rated!

Expensive creams - basic baby lotion works great as a cleanser and a moisturiser, as does baby oil in the bath/after a shower.

Kitchen roll. I use old cotton/linen tea towels and wash them.

Surface and bathroom/kitchen cleaners/sprays - hot water and a squirt of any detergent (washing up liquid, basic shampoo, solid soap, washing powder/liquid).

Hair conditioner ( for me) - I have oily hair, so I leave it a few days between washes (it is tied up and neat/non smelly) then wash - no conditioner needed. That and your hair is dead anyway.

Very expensive womens razors, shaving creams etc. I've always used basic mens and soap - I know I pampering to a modern society by shaving at all but I like fuzz free armpits and legs!
    Put the kettle on. ;)
  • Nicoll
    Nicoll Posts: 217 Forumite
    Ditto to what everyone else has said :)
    There is no issue so small that it can't be blown out of proportion
  • Nicoll
    Nicoll Posts: 217 Forumite
    I hate all the pressure of the likes of Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Valentines, Easter etc... Where everything is suddenly classed a special gift for your Mother/Father/lover etc... This makes people think they have to buy expensive presents when most people would rather just know they were loved by peoples actions all year round.
    There is no issue so small that it can't be blown out of proportion
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport