PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    quintwins wrote: »
    see we tried this but our acual water tatses rotten we've one of those filter jugs that has been left in the fridge over night in the hope it will help but no luck, i wanna point out we don't really buy bottled water, maybe one bottle a month, we just drink alot of squash to hide the taste

Putting it in the fridge doesn't work for me either. I leave mine in a jug on the surface wth a muslin over the top. Fridge water tastes just as manky to me as out of the tap water. As does that water fridges dispense. DH would love a freezer that decants ice and water but both taste yakky to me every time I've tried.
  • Sassers
    Sassers Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Spiggle wrote: »
    I was doing an online order at Sainsbugs last night when vulgar expletives were heard from my room. When OH asked what the problem was I just told him that "...... people buy bottles of scented water to put in their steam irons!!!!!"

Enough said!

Spigs

And do you know what it is - ionised water and a bit of scented oil! And some of the prices people pay, I mean...come on!
    Current debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
    DEBT FREE!
  • For me it is mainly toiletries and face creams etc. What happened to good old soap and water and some nivea or similar. I can't believe some of the prices people pay to smooth wrinkles etc.
  • Sassers
    Sassers Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I remember when the Body Shop's Anita Roddick went on a right rant about having wrinkles one time. And although I didn't always agree with her, she said the reason women and men have wrinkles is probably because they tended to laugh a lot! She hated the thought that to avoid wrinkles people wouldn't smile much....
    Current debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
    DEBT FREE!
  • Nicoll
    Nicoll Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Talking of who pays for weddings, I really lucked out:(

My 3 sisters got married young and my parents footed the whole of the costs, by the time I got married at 40 I had to pay it all myself as they were retired :rotfl:

And on the subject of tiny disclaimers on tv ads, I love the ones for the super-duper mascara's, make your lashes ultra long and ultra thick and ultra whatever else lashes should be. Then they have a teeny tiny disclaimer at the bottom of the screen stating that lash inserts were used, maybe I should just buy the inserts then ;). Personally I have other things to worry about than the thickness of my eyelashes by each to her own!
    There is no issue so small that it can't be blown out of proportion
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    I use the water from the condenser in my TD for the iron - it has a slight scent and is de ionised :)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    I have just discovered the joys of buying a whole chicken - no more buying 2 chicken breasts for almost the same price as a whole chicken. My last chicken managed to give myself and OH a roast dinner, a chicken casserole type meal and there is enough left to make a chicken pie that will do us for 2 meals. I know I should use the bones to make a stock but I don't know how to without ending up with lots of small bones in my stock. Perhaps someone can enlighten me
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    vivw wrote: »
    I have just discovered the joys of buying a whole chicken - no more buying 2 chicken breasts for almost the same price as a whole chicken. My last chicken managed to give myself and OH a roast dinner, a chicken casserole type meal and there is enough left to make a chicken pie that will do us for 2 meals. I know I should use the bones to make a stock but I don't know how to without ending up with lots of small bones in my stock. Perhaps someone can enlighten me

Straining it at the end. ;) There is little as satisfying in the kitchen as a good, set stock. BUT, tbh, I find boiling up each chicken a bit cost and time ineffective...its a lot of stove top time, so I freeze the carcasses till I have a good big stock pot full then let it roll, make my stock in big batches and freeze that in smaller batches. Its a good think to do when you have other house stuff going on and are tied to the house, wet weather days, for example.

I
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You are a person after my own heart: I cannot conceive of why some folk pay upwards of fifty pence a roll for printed, scented and embossed three-ply paper just for the lav.

Not sure if it's an advertiser's con or just a personal preference but I buy the cheapest I can get my hands on. It's in use for, oh, about thirty seconds at most and then chucked away so I don't want to pay much for it at all and don't understand why other people do. Must be a blind-spot.

probably TMI , but i have a very sensitive skin , and cheap stuff makes me sore lol
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    for me it is the seasonal changes in clothing fashion- i hate the pressure it puts on young girls to spend money on the right outfit....

dont get me wrong i do have seasonal clothes - thick thermals and fleeces for winter and thinner fleeces and t'shirts for summer - with waterproof trousers at the ready throughout the year...and trousers that have bits to zipper on and off if the sun comes out..plus cotton skirts for summer and cottons skirts with thick woolly tights under for winter..

i hate the wastage of people throwing clothes away - that are perfectly wearable - because of the pressure to be wearing something more "fashionable"

art
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport