PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Comments

• dianasnan
    dianasnan Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The automatic air freshener were brilliant when selling a relatives house where there had been a heavy smoker and lack of general hygiene. Even after a thorough deep clean we could still detect odours and this worked wonderfully whilst the place was up for sale.

I open a window in my own house :D
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was doing an online order at Sainsbugs last night when vulgar expletives were heard from my room. When OH asked what the problem was I just told him that "...... people buy bottles of scented water to put in their steam irons!!!!!"

Enough said!

Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • I have a memory worst that a gold fish so none of these adverts have the ability to influence me in any way but my lack of memory means that I miss a lot of important stuff as well :o
    "Let your boat of life be light, pack only what you need- A homely home and simple pleasures,one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone who loves you, a cat, a dog, a pipe or two enough to eat, enough to wear and a little more than enough to drink, as thirst is a dangerous thing" Jerome k. Jerome
  • missminx007
    missminx007 Posts: 173 Forumite
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    Plus those follow on milk ads that go on about iron content in milk, thats like taking about protein content in celery!

The point is a child over 1 should have a wide range of food including veggies/meat for iron so cows milk is fine. mind you to be honest I breast fed mine all over 12 months 2 of them to 2 and 3 respectively so all those ads annoy me even more.

ali x

I'm with you on this one ali, i shout quite a lot at the tv when these come on, i love the little "cows milk is not a good source of iron' line at the bottom. I just feel very sad that some people who might not be that well off get conned into thinking they need to buy this when its not necessary...and of course, they could breastfeed and save themselves hundreds.
    In fact, parenting magazines are one of the worst for convincing people they need all these different things for babies, its got to be one of the biggest cons in the world that babies are expensive (aside from a not being able to work point of view) I bought one mag and thought it would be cheaper to flick through the argos catelogue! Never again!!!
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    quintwins wrote: »

altho if you had tasted water out of my tap you would buy bottled water, it acually runs cloudy and still tastes horrible once filtered

You could fill a jug with water and leave it for a few hours before drinking.My Mum has a similar problem and this has worked well for her.

As for my list,too numerous to mention,but I agree with most of the posts so far.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Actually I would say the biggest "culprits" are often the "biggest bill" items - ie who on earth decreed that the average wedding costs £20,000 and that children of 16 should have hundreds of £s spent on school Proms?
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    You could fill a jug with water and leave it for a few hours before drinking.My Mum has a similar problem and this has worked well for her.

This is one of the best things I learned from this forum. I drink a lot of water and spent a lot on it as I can't bear freshly drawn tapwater. If I'm truthful I can still taste a very small difference between it and my preferred bottled water, but its certainly as good as soe bottled waters . I have two water jugs ...just normal glass jugs, I draw and then refill as each is emptied. They get poured into empty water bottles for when on the go.

I still love some bottled water....but its now a treat...I got six big bottles this Christmas :o and loved every single one.

I lust after the washing powders that excrete weird and impossible scents when touched....but I use supermarket own.

I did used to have a bit of a thing about bounce sheets. I have only had a tumble drier once in my life, and I was enamoured of it. I quickly stopped using the sheets when I learnt they can cause fires or something, but then found millions of other uses for the sheets. DH's shoes, stuff being stored for a long time.

I can't imagine life without hair conditioner....I have dry curly hair its an essential here, as are a precious few lotions and potions for my fussy skin.

''HOMe fragrancing'' I am mainly opposed to, but this winter I gave in and bought chemicals. I saw it as a short term measure while the things causing the stench were dealt with. They helped, not cured but helped, but I'mglad I'm not using them now.
  • marmiterulesok
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Actually I would say the biggest "culprits" are often the "biggest bill" items - ie who on earth decreed that the average wedding costs £20,000 and that children of 16 should have hundreds of £s spent on school Proms?

How I agree with you.

I am particularly unable to understand couples who choose to start their married life with a huge debt.It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Mind you,as far as weddings go,I don't know who pays for what these days.:oCould someone enlighten me?
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Well, in my family a father certainly doesn't! My two sisters have had three weddings between them and my father didn't contribute a single penny to any of them. When I was a teenager he said that he'd buy me a ladder so that I could elope. I don't think he was joking now.

My youngest sister wanted a fancy church wedding, so she got one. Which she and her husband borrowed from the bank to pay for. a £2k dress, sit-down dinner for family, an evening party for dozens. One thing that confused me was that she wasn't a church-goer and another was why have a church wedding with the daughter you already have, and had out of wedlock, as a bridesmaid?

I think they were still paying for it all when they separated. Absolute madness.
  • marmiterulesok
    Well, in my family a father certainly doesn't! My two sisters have had three weddings between them and my father didn't contribute a single penny to any of them. When I was a teenager he said that he'd buy me a ladder so that I could elope. I don't think he was joking now.

My youngest sister wanted a fancy church wedding, so she got one. Which she and her husband borrowed from the bank to pay for. a £2k dress, sit-down dinner for family, an evening party for dozens. One thing that confused me was that she wasn't a church-goer and another was why have a church wedding with the daughter you already have, and had out of wedlock, as a bridesmaid?

I think they were still paying for it all when they separated. Absolute madness.

My sister and I were also jokingly told to elope...

Your child as bridesmaid/pageboy (is that the right word?) is also more than a tad strange to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure