PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Comments

• lauren_1
    lauren_1 Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Any sort of 'kitchen/batroom cleaner' i use a spray bottle filled with disinfectant and plain water. And occasionally use a bit of bleach. That it!

Costs me about 50p a month.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Or things like cake mixes or other packet stuff tht again implies to be a good parent you bake/cook for the kids with their product, when actually it would be cheaper and tastier to make stuff from scratch never mind all the rubbish the processed stuff is packed with.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Plus those follow on milk ads that go on about iron content in milk, thats like taking about protein content in celery!

The point is a child over 1 should have a wide range of food including veggies/meat for iron so cows milk is fine. mind you to be honest I breast fed mine all over 12 months 2 of them to 2 and 3 respectively so all those ads annoy me even more.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Ellie83
    Ellie83 Posts: 525 Forumite
    All this germ-fear advertisers stir up makes me quite cross. We don't need antibacterial hand-soap just like we don't need anti-bac wipes for the kitchen. Good old common-or-garden soap and hot water will kill most of the germs we want to get rid of. If we're worried about things being completely unsanitary a bit of diluted disinfectant on a clean cloth would be about twenty times cheaper. Some of these advertisers must think we're all morons.

:T We are not surgeons :rotfl:
  • Lucy_Lastic
    Lucy_Lastic Posts: 735 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Ellie83 wrote: »
    The motion activated soap dispenser..... Yeah, it has germs on it, but the first thing you do after touching it is washing your hands... So what's the point? What is wrong with washing the bottle once in a while if you are afraid of germs? :D

I could not agree more - a friend of mine was actually thinking of buying this item (because of the grandchildren!??) until I pointed out that you wash your hands after touching it, and we have all survived the soap dispensers in public toilets for all these years. In my opinion there are too many "anti bacterial" products - how do our kids build up an immune system?
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Can I just have a rant about over-scented laundry products? Especially those which are advertised as releasing some sort of a miasma when they're touched? I can't think of anything more revolting and don't like being around other people who use them.
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2011 at 2:30PM
    has to be air freshener for me, plus the 'deoderising' sprays for furniture.
    i try to stick to the basic sort of things i can use if i can. more often soap/ washing up liquid and water, non bio powder, soda crystals plus perhaps a loo gel and multi use cleaner and a splosh of bleach?
    makes me wonder then how the victorians and other generations managed pardon me saying without all the different things that are on the market now?
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Can I just have a rant about over-scented laundry products? Especially those which are advertised as releasing some sort of a miasma when they're touched? I can't think of anything more revolting and don't like being around other people who use them.

yeh but your just bitterandtwisted........

Yeh u like that one... all by myself!!:rotfl:
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    UnluckyT wrote: »
    has to be air freshener for me, plus the 'deoderising' sprays.
    makes me woner then how the victorians and other generations managed pardon me saying without all the different things that are on the market now?

They didnt... there all dead!
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    I use colour catchers and like them, there are times when I have a washing full of different colours and its far cheaper to stick it all in a wash with a colour catcher (well half actually as I cut them in two) than hand wash or do mini washes for them all.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure