PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Items the advertisers try to convince us are essential

Comments

• LittleLauz
    LittleLauz Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree with a few of the things previously mentioned, however I will NOT buy cheap toilet roll, as I find it really thin and rough and generally twice as much gets used to compensate for the thinness. Therefore it's false economy.
    I also buy air freshner as I am unable to open some windows in a few rooms, and not only that but I love the smell of them. Lol!
    Also imagine if these things werent made/advertised etc. Thousands and thousands of people would be without jobs.
    Obviously lots of people do find these type of products useful or they wouldn't buy them and the companies would go out of business. Though I do think the scare mongering adverts for expensive baby/toddler supplements are very wrong and make parents feel the need to spend uneccessarily.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes OK I'll grant you the advert is selling it on one level BUT my friend who lost an arm to meningitis is incredibly pleased with his dispenser, makes life that little bit easier in just one respect.

I agree it is not the market it is aimed at. But my husband is one handed due to a stroke. And I think we will get one for him.

And we use ready meals , frozen mash, sugar cubes etc etc :eek: because it allows my husband to be more independent.

I know chuck me out the brownies. I can afford it as the ready meals are normally reduced to clear and I do spend very little compared to most on my monthly shop. As I try and get everything I can reduced to at least half price or on special offer and then pop it in the freezer.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 April 2011 at 8:19AM
    we have to live according to our own circumstances don't we, I know someone with ME who would struggle to feed themselves properly without pre-prepared veg etc

I couldn't believe it when I saw an ad for 'microwave cleaner'! I haven't seen any lately though so maybe consumers saw it for what it was; I was a sucker for all those fancy products years ago, but now whittling my cleaning cupboard down to stardrops, vinegar, soda crystals and bleach

I despise the way ads try to scare people, there's very often an interesting line in very small type at the bottom of the screen, that tells you the ad is lying :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    couldn't agree more about the weddings....

my kids have been told we'll treat them all fairly - we'll get a top quality ladder.....
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Ooohhh, so many like-minded comments up here. I personally have the downers on (in no particular order) luxe t.p, air fresheners, disposable wipes, anti-bacterial cleaning stuff & anti-bac plastic, little plastic sarcohphagi of chopped fruit in the supermarket, leaflets which come thru my letterbox for doubleglazing which I already have and takeouts which I never buy and fabric conditioner.

My annoyance with the leaflets is the waste of paper, ink and energy because of sloppy marketing, with anti-bacterials in the home as they are endangering our safety by causing resistance in the bugs.

Heard a documentary on Radio 4 that there have been no new antibiotics developed for years and that resistance to what we do have is growing and is partially attributable to home use of anti-microbials. The position is so bad that we could end up back in the pre-penicillin era when to get a wound was to risk your life and some surgeries now done will be impossible.

Home air fresheners contain known carcinogens and I wouldn't give them or mothballs houseroom. I detest the slimy feel of fabric conditioned clothes and it rots elastane anyway.

Luxe t.p.? I use Tesco Basics one and can't say that I notice any discomfort. Luxe t.p. is notorious for blocking loos.

Not having a TV spares me a lot of this nonsense but I often get stopped in my tracks in the supermarket and have a John McEnroe Moment as I spot something ridiculous; "You cannot be serious!?"
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • missminx007
    missminx007 Posts: 173 Forumite
    How I agree with you.

I am particularly unable to understand couples who choose to start their married life with a huge debt.It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Mind you,as far as weddings go,I don't know who pays for what these days.:oCould someone enlighten me?

I managed to get wed for about 2k and most of that went on the 5 bands we had playing. We were lucky to have a grand off my mum and dad and the rest off OH's family so we didn't have to pay for anything :)
    I tell a lie...I bought some earrings reduced in monsoon for 1.75!
  • Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Charis wrote: »
    My teenage son's deodorant (the brand named after a big cat) literally takes my breath away. I find myself gasping for breath if it wafts near me from his room when he puts it on. I hate to think what it's doing to him as he absorbs it through his skin.

I just did a quick Google and it seems I'm not alone http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2006/mar/24/schools.uk3 Of course the firm producing the stuff is deaf to complaints.

:rotfl: Hi Charis, that strikes a chord with me! Although at 22 DS seems to have grown out of Stynx and we now get treated to enourmous wafts of grown-up men's perfume like Euuuogo Boss etc.

Agree with most peoples gripes.....specially auto air-fresheners
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • missminx007
    missminx007 Posts: 173 Forumite
    susyrosy wrote: »
    I think quite a few of the products mentioned above (scented quilted things, for example) are a matter of personal preference. They'll only hurt your pocket.

The thing which really worries me is this 'germless' society we are meant to raise our children in (or grandchildren, for me).

I heard something on the radio today about the dramatic rise in auto-immune problems, allergies and irritable bowel syndrome can be traced to being over-hygienic. Our bodies are meant to fight off parasites to become stronger. Interestingly, an experiment in the States involved patients being given some worm eggs (sorry, can't remember which ones) in Gatorade as a treatment for ibs, and apparently it had a very good success rate. My problem would be swallowing the Gatorade. It would have to be gin. Gordons.

that sounds interesting, Id like my mum to listen to that, she's far too worried about hygiene! Do you know what channel it was on so I can try and listen again?
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You could fill a jug with water and leave it for a few hours before drinking.My Mum has a similar problem and this has worked well for her.

As for my list,too numerous to mention,but I agree with most of the posts so far.

see we tried this but our acual water tatses rotten we've one of those filter jugs that has been left in the fridge over night in the hope it will help but no luck, i wanna point out we don't really buy bottled water, maybe one bottle a month, we just drink alot of squash to hide the taste
    Mind you,as far as weddings go,I don't know who pays for what these days.:oCould someone enlighten me?

when i got married we had planned to pay it all, but my now inlaws said they wanted to pay for the venue, and my mum 'paid'(called in a favor) for my cake, my aunt asked if she could do my flowers and we called in anoter favor for our pictures, in our case it wasn't so much about who you know but who you know who's computer you'd fixed several times :D
    LittleLauz wrote: »
    I agree with a few of the things previously mentioned, however I will NOT buy cheap toilet roll, as I find it really thin and rough and generally twice as much gets used to compensate for the thinness. Therefore it's false economy.

altho this is true it's over £2 for 4 rolls of branded where as it's 50p for value, we nearly always have value and we use 10 rolls a month, if we have branded we may use 7-8 but given the price diference we do save, and i don't find it all that rough for toilet purposes but don't blow my nose on it, also my kids tend to waste toilet roll anyway so i'd prefer for them to do it with the cheaper one

oh i have another one, those bags with herbs and sprices you add your food to and shake, there about £2.50!!! my mil was raving about them and i was just sat thinking i bet you had all those sprices in your cupboard
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • susyrosy
    susyrosy Posts: 121 Forumite
    that sounds interesting, Id like my mum to listen to that, she's far too worried about hygiene! Do you know what channel it was on so I can try and listen again?

It would have been on radio 4 yesterday (Tuesday 12), somewhere between 11 and 12 in the morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure