Benefits check up guide and tool discussion

Options

Comments

• jango66
    Options
    do I need to include any pension pots we currently have when claiming council tax benefit
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jango66 wrote: »
    do I need to include any pension pots we currently have when claiming council tax benefit

I don't know if this is relevant but have a read of this link...Pension Wise - Benefits
  • tezzasmif
    tezzasmif Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the comments below from 2011 say this calculator is wildly inaccurate. Martin its 2018 & this calculator is still wrong!!! It stops at child tax credit and ignores my area is now UC ?!
    I notice it is powered by entitledto.
    Forum users please be aware & beware on my better off calc from entitled to it is so glaringly and grossly wrong that it input my 6 hours in work and a move to 16hrs as money £6;earned now £16 earned on 16 hours so created £10 better off that doesnt exist. Yes absolutely mental I know.
    Also it claims in a UC rolled out area I have a choice of staying on old benefits or moving to UC once Im eligible for working tax credit. This is also false according to job centre
    If you are advising people on something so important which could be the difference between a roof over someones head or destitution you need to be getting it right. Dont you think??? :mad:
  • Clairelouisec
    Options
    Hi,the calculator says that I should still be getting money for my 19 year old son who is still in fulltime education.he is in the 3rd year of a 3 year course.i still get child benefit for him until his 20th birthday,I am a single parent with 1 other child aged 16 still in fulltime education too. I had to claim universal credit,now that I am a fulltime carer for my father,who has come to live with me after a very bad strokes and a serious heart condition.as a result i can not go out to work and my tax credits stopped as it is now part of the universal credit claim.i recieved the 1st universal credit payment in August and they paid for my son,but in my September payment they are not paying for him.they say when I rang they are not responsible for him because he has now turned 19 even though he's been in fulltime education since leaving high school.but because he lives at home he or i can not claim any benefits.how are we ment to live on child benefit alone for him.hes thinking on leaving college,when he's come so far and so close to finishing his 3 year course,to get any job and give up on his education.he had hopes on university next year,but now it seems due to our low income,he will not be supported in even getting to the end of college.has anybody got any advice for us ?,I would really like to support him in continuing his education,thank you for taking the time to read this,from a very worried mum.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 September 2018 at 8:05AM
    Options
    Hi,the calculator says that I should still be getting money for my 19 year old son who is still in fulltime education.he is in the 3rd year of a 3 year course.i still get child benefit for him until his 20th birthday,I am a single parent with 1 other child aged 16 still in fulltime education too. I had to claim universal credit,now that I am a fulltime carer for my father,who has come to live with me after a very bad strokes and a serious heart condition.as a result i can not go out to work and my tax credits stopped as it is now part of the universal credit claim.i recieved the 1st universal credit payment in August and they paid for my son,but in my September payment they are not paying for him.they say when I rang they are not responsible for him because he has now turned 19 even though he's been in fulltime education since leaving high school.but because he lives at home he or i can not claim any benefits.how are we ment to live on child benefit alone for him.hes thinking on leaving college,when he's come so far and so close to finishing his 3 year course,to get any job and give up on his education.he had hopes on university next year,but now it seems due to our low income,he will not be supported in even getting to the end of college.has anybody got any advice for us ?,I would really like to support him in continuing his education,thank you for taking the time to read this,from a very worried mum.
    The calculator is wrong. For the child element of UC it is only paid to the end of August following their 19th birthday, unlike tax credits.
    See this link and scroll down to support for children.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-your-family-quick-guide/universal-credit-further-information-for-families

You'll continue to receive child benefit for him up to his 20th birthday, providing he remains in full time non advanced education.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2018 at 8:18AM
    Options

It would be better to start a new topic on this.

Unfortunately UC are right to no longer include an element for your son if he turned 19 before 1st September https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/child-over-16

I think your son can make his own application for Universal Credit while he is a studying in non advanced education because he is not classed as a student for UC purposes. That would get him £251.77/month. If he makes it to university he will be a student and will not be able to claim UC and will be expected to obtain student finance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cooperm
    Options
    I am self employed and live in a full service UC area.

I currently get paid child tax credits and child benefit.

I cannot work at the moment due to an operation I have had.

Historically when I was unable to work I claimed contribution based ESA, but understand this is no longer possible.

I think I need to claim ‘new style’ ESA but have been told that I cannot claim 'new style’ ESA and tax credits and that I nned to transfer over to UC first.

Is that right? - I really don't want to change my tax credits over to UC until I am forced to *kicking and screaming*!

TIA
  • calcotti
    Options
    cooperm wrote: »
    I think I need to claim ‘new style’ ESA but have been told that I cannot claim 'new style’ ESA and tax credits and that I nned to transfer over to UC first.

Is that right? - I really don't want to change my tax credits over to UC until I am forced to *kicking and screaming*!

That is not right (who told you?). You can claim new style ESA and keep your Tax Credits. Provided you meet the NI qualifying conditions between April 2015 and March 2017 you should qualify.

When you ring to apply for ns-ESA it is the same telephone line as UC. Use option 2 and option 6. Do not be diverted/persuaded by any adviser that you should claim UC if you do not want - if you start a UC claim you will trigger the end of your Tax Credits.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#how-to-claim-new-style-esa
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cooperm
    Options
    Thank you Calcotti!

That's what I thought! Can you believe that it was the advisor - on option 2 then 6 who told me so!

I called them back and they told me that I need to fill in a form they will email me, then I have to call them back to make an appointment at a Jobcentre for me to take them the form and ID. Then the jobcentre decide if I can apply for new style ESA.

So that's my mission for tomorrow - Calling a third time!

I have the person's name who gave me the wrong info... but I don't imagine complaining will get me anywhere!
  • calcotti
    Options
    cooperm wrote: »
    Thank you Calcotti!

That's what I thought! Can you believe that it was the advisor - on option 2 then 6 who told me so!

I called them back and they told me that I need to fill in a form they will email me, then I have to call them back to make an appointment at a Jobcentre for me to take them the form and ID. Then the jobcentre decide if I can apply for new style ESA.

So that's my mission for tomorrow - Calling a third time!

I have the person's name who gave me the wrong info... but I don't imagine complaining will get me anywhere!

The process you have now described is the correct process. Remember you can backdate ESA if appropriate and you have a Fit Note to cover the period.

Complaining won’t help progress your claim but you may wish to highlight the failings to the DWP. You may also wish to tell your MP about your experience because it highlights, once again, the need for DWP staff training
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport