PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The best mince pie pastry ever?

Options

Comments

• researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sometimes grate in a raw cooking apple, but still usually buy Robinsons.

You might like to try this. Another friend sweetens cream cheese with sugar to taste and puts a teaspoon full on top of the mincemeat before sealing in the raw pastry case - this doesn't dissolve as it cooks but forms a sweetened layer. Mixed reviews on this, for me it's too much, and I like them plain but other friends love it. Try it on a few and see what you think.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks folks.

I saw the Robinsons one on Tesco site, what are all the big white bit in it, are they bits of suet?
  • researcher
    Options
    Yes - but vegetable suet
  • npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found it!! I found it!!!

I've found this best mince pie ever!!

Pastry: the one in the first post of this thread

Mincemeat: (based on Nigella Lawson's recipe):

1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 cup plus tablespoons cider/ fruity wine (I used our homemade elderflower wine!)
    2 1/4 pounds tart cooking apples peeled, halved and quartered ( I used these weird crabapple things from the garden)
    1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
    1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
    1 cup currants
    1 cup raisins
    1/3 cup glace cherries, chopped
    1/3 cup almond flakes
    6 tablespoons kirsch
    4 1-pint or 2 1-quart canning jars

In a large saucepan simmer everything except kirsch for 30 minutes or until the mixture looks pulpy. Take off the heat, allow to cool a bit and then stir in the kirsch.
    Spoon into sterilised jars.

And then when it comes to making up the mince pies: line tins with pastry, spoon in mincemeat and then place a disc of homemade marzipan on top. Top with pastry lid and bake. YUMMMMMMM!!

Do NOT try this with shop bought 'marzipan' - that yellow stuff is evil and tastes absolutely nothing like the real thing. I'm not surprised so many people hate marzipan if all they've ever had is that yellow gunk!

Here's how i make marzipan:

1lb ground almonds (1/2 price in Julian Graves the the moment)
    2 egg whites
    3 cups icing sugar
    lots and lots of rhum (start with 6 tablespoons)

Whisk egg whites until slightly frothy. Add all other ingredients. Mix well until evenly combined. Adjust consistency using rhum or more ground almonds.
    Keeps 8 weeks in an airtight container in the fridge. Tastes better when it has rested in the fridge overnight.

When the kids give me a moment i'll post my stuffed dates/walnuts recipe.

:D
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."
  • researcher
    Options
    These sound lovely
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    5000232179807_200.jpg
    I remember my gran using this years ago (I'm talking 40 years ago now!) and saw it in Tescos yesterday.

Had a read of the label and didn't realise that you use this instead of marg/butter etc.

Anyway, I bought a pack (£1.08 for 500g) and thought I would give it a go.

I have a pie maker machine so it only takes 8 mins to 'bake' 2 pies so I used a tin of best stewing steak (made 5 pies but they were quite deep ones) and gave it a go.

Wow, it is def the best pastry I have made, really crumbly, not like the normal stuff I turn out.

:rolleyes:

The shortcust pastry recipe on the back of the pack says 10oz plain flour, 4oz Trex, 1/2 tsp salt and 4 -6 tbsp cold water. Must admit I used self raising as I don't have any plain left and they were still great.

If you normally end up making naff pastry then give this a go, you may surprise yourself.

There are no additives, e numbers etc in it but it's not great if you are watching the calories as it is 900cal per 100g. Then again, if you are watching the calories I don't think you will be eating your own cakes, pastries, biscuits etc.

;)

http://www.princes.co.uk/brands/trex/
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    That was my MUM 40 years ago :rotfl:

i remember this well, but I admit to being too lazy to make my own pastry. I didn't know you can still get it!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi there :beer: We have an existing thread singing the praises of Trex for pastyr making ;) I'll add your post to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    nodwah wrote: »
    That was my MUM 40 years ago :rotfl:

i remember this well, but I admit to being too lazy to make my own pastry. I didn't know you can still get it!

I'm sure mine used to use lard in some recipes, makes me feel sick thinking about it.

At least Trex looks like colourless marg, lard just looks like the fat you get in your grill pan after you've cooked a load of sausages, but a bit cleaner looking.

:grin:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    I'm sure mine used to use lard in some recipes, makes me feel sick thinking about it.

Why :confused: I'd far rather cook with lard (a natural product) than a highly processed one like Trex.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport