What is the most drastic money making or money saving thing you've done?

Comments

• tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    You do what you have to do, end of story :)
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Don't know if there's been anything really drastic, probably because my debt has not been as bad as some people's on here......

Feeding two (including a seemingly insatiable man :eek: ) on a tenner a week is probably as extreme as it got.....
    No haircuts for over three :eek: years
    I also did the two part time jobs (one evening, one weekend) on top of my full time job.....

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • miggy
    miggy Posts: 4,328 Forumite
    Letting my OH trim my hair to save money on haircuts seems fairly drastic to me! Am I wrong? Who else would do this?
    I do my own, my OH's and both boys' hair - I also trim my daughter's in between 'proper' cuts (I can't layer long hair). Taught myself - but it got easier when I got one of those home hairdressing kits for about £30.
    I must admit I enjoy it and it saves quite a lot cashwise but I'm sure I would be a nervous wreck if anyone else wanted to do mine (and that includes professional hairdressers!)
    Pop round and I'll show you how it's done, LOL.
    Miggy
    Miggy

MEMBER OF MIKE'S MOB!
    Every Penny a Prisoner

This article is about coffeehouse bartenders. For lawyers, see Barrister. (Wikipedia)
  • miggy
    miggy Posts: 4,328 Forumite
    PoorKat wrote:
    ...Now I'm in the UK and unemployed, not able to get any benefits, and now I realize what it REALLY is to be poor. With 25k+ in debt and no job/benefits, no one's getting a Christmas present from us! Depending on family and friends for food while I was at uni didn't seem so bad but at 27 it is just plain embarassing.

Hi PoorKat, I hope you do start your own thread - I'm sure there are others who've been in the same situation and could offer moral support.
    I was in a similar position re: meals at the age of 23 - left College with an unarranged overdraft of a whole £75 and had a F/T voluntary job which paid me £34-something-plus-a-roof-over-my-head. This was in the middle of London in the late 80's; I had the overdraft to pay back very carefully or the bank would eat my remaining meagre income and leave me with literally nothing and I also had travel to pay.
    My drastic money saver was my packet of flavouring - there was a little food shop (I think it was at London Bridge Station) and I remember examining the packets for ages before choosing a Sharwood's de-hydrated sauce. That meant I could choose to have rice with or rice without flavour for main meals! Sometimes I could supplement it with a sausage, and I made it last several weeks.
    Of course I made the most of every last opportunity to be fed by others - my then B/F (we've been married for ages now!) gave me chicken casserole at least once a week, work paid for fish & chips on Fridays when us volunteers had helped with work shopping (it was £1.50 but we were cunning - just got the chips and put the rest towards the rest of our lives!) and on Sundays people at church fed us huge delicious meals.
    Without the free feeds I would have been in problems.
    Yes, I paid off my overdraft and before anyone asks, it was the most wonderful job, what it lacked in money it made up for many times over in enjoyment.
    Even got a free shoebox to sleep in - got a bit nibbled by the Bermondsey rats, though ;-)
    (That won't make sense unless you know a certain sketch - was it Monty Python?)
    Migs
    Miggy

MEMBER OF MIKE'S MOB!
    Every Penny a Prisoner

This article is about coffeehouse bartenders. For lawyers, see Barrister. (Wikipedia)
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Everything has to be drastic to cut back to get back into the black.
    No cards, catalogues, cancel the paper, no mags, no lunch time sandwiches from the supermarket(take own) picnics(take own) no coffee out (drink own from house) no dinners out (make own) no hair cuts (get a friend to do it cheaper or free) No nails done, no new clothes (no, can't make own there is a thread in itself!!) etc etc cut backs all add up to getting back in the black xxx
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • Letting my OH trim my hair to save money on haircuts seems fairly drastic to me! Am I wrong? Who else would do this?
    I do this but only because it's more convenient than getting my mum to do it now I've left home. I like to keep my hair fairly long so it's just a case of trim a straight line along my back and I've never been to a hairdresser so for me it's not that drastic but if you've always had it done at a hairdresser and had more complicated styles etc. then it probably is drastic but still worth it based on what my friends pay for their haircuts.
  • natlie wrote:

The thing I am most proud of though is resistin ggetting sky to watch season 3 of Lost - that was the most evil thing ever, god knows when I am going to be able to get it now??? boo hoo
    Nat
    xxx

If you have broadband you could download lost instead? That's how I've watched all the latest lost that's out. You need a p2p client there are several but we use Azureus http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ and then you just search google for what you want eg Lost series 3 torrent and see what hits that comes up with. You find some duds but if it's something popular you'll likely find it. Word of warning though, owners of tv series's are usually pretty relaxed about you doing this but film companies can take the illegal download of films quite seriously so if you do this use something like peer guardian http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/ so what you are up to is a bit more protected.
    MFi3 member 105 - MFW date Oct 2023 - 12 years 9 months more
  • Most drastic____I cut up all the cards, all my lifelines and went without. I had the same pair of trainers for two years.

i've had the same pair of trainers for 5 years!!!!

and rarely throw out clothes - i have and still wear clothes that i used to wear 10 and 11 years ago!
    carve your name in red. the silver slipping and slicing. rose petals blossom and fall. soul steals away.

• climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    I suggested taking the chicken carcase which we will have on Wednesday, with us so that we could make a huge stew for us to eat when we are not eating out.

Husband refuses to take a chicken carcase on holiday!:rotfl:

Ewww! You might have problems at customs with that kind of thing, if you are serious about taking it, cook it into broth or something first!
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    esthomizzy wrote:
    If you have broadband you could download lost instead? That's how I've watched all the latest lost that's out. You need a p2p client there are several but we use Azureus http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ and then you just search google for what you want eg Lost series 3 torrent and see what hits that comes up with. You find some duds but if it's something popular you'll likely find it. Word of warning though, owners of tv series's are usually pretty relaxed about you doing this but film companies can take the illegal download of films quite seriously so if you do this use something like peer guardian http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/ so what you are up to is a bit more protected.

Go to the Fox website. The day after it's shown in the US they put it up their, all legally, no charges from what I've seen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure