What is the most drastic money making or money saving thing you've done?

1234568»

Comments

• miggy
    miggy Posts: 4,328 Forumite
    I thought of this thread when I was cooking today. I have a large bag of cooked and frozen haricot beans which I had good intentions of adding to casseroles, but rarely get round to it.
    Instead, I've taken to adding them, a few at a time, to supplement Heinz beans! Even my family can't taste any difference, but of course I haven't told them.
    My excuse is that there's always a top layer of 'juice' that mostly gets wasted.
    I have no idea whatsoever whether it's saved me any money, but as Heinz cost more than other brands it seemed worth a try.
    Miggy

MEMBER OF MIKE'S MOB!
    Every Penny a Prisoner

This article is about coffeehouse bartenders. For lawyers, see Barrister. (Wikipedia)
  • Things are a tad better these days but I can remember living off 2 slices of toast and butter every day for at about six months (excepting the odd Mars bar in flush moments!) It is strange how your body does get used to it and even today, if I am feeling angst about money...I lose my appetite!
    If holes appeared in the soles of my shoes, I would wedge a slab of cardboard in them and adjust my walk so that 'people behind me would'nt see', - just prob. thought I had a dodgy leg or something!
    I adjusted my clothes to fit the weight loss I was undergoing by the 'toast' diet and when people said I looked really pale and ill, I retorted that it was fashionable to avoid the sun!
    I know it appears I am jesting a bit about the above but they did happen and tbh, once I had put it down on this forum, I realised how fortunate I am, given what others in other countries have to go through. Reality check for me.
  • susan10
    susan10 Posts: 6 Forumite
    1. I took one toilett paper roll every day from my workplace or local caffe.During months it has saved me a good 100 pounds.
    2.I took all the cleaning sprays from my workplace as well :A (they do nastier things to customers)
    3.I stock up on ownbrand cheese, rice, pasta,potato, porridge ...So I did not have to attend shops every day, in this way I could avoid the temptation
    4. I went to my optician and asked for free contactlenses (1 months supply) they gave them, but I think it is easier if you ask for 1 weeks from 4 opticians.
    5. When I go out occasionally ( I am 24) I pick up half drank glasses on tables and look glam for free.
    6.I smoke good quality hungarian cigarettes, each boxes for 1 pound (even marlboro light)
    7.I take 40 copy papers every week from my workplace.
    8.I always ask for a discount everywhere even on food.
    9. No haircuts for years
    10. I wear my mothers clothes
    11.I walk everywhere I can.
    12.I spend 10 pounds on food per week. I am vegetarian, that makes things a lot cheaper.
    13.WHENEVER I PASS A CORNER SHOP OR ICECREAM CAR I ALWAYS ASK FOR A FREE MARS OR 99C. 9 OUT OF 10 TIMES I GET THE THINGS.Even Paris hilton did this when she was forced to live on no money in a reality show.You can apply this to every shop and resturant if you can act a little.YOu just need to explain your situation (u r a student, in dept...) people are always willing to help you. Most of the people in restaurants are not the business owners so they are not so hard hearted.

:money: :beer: :T
  • Most drastic____I cut up all the cards, all my lifelines and went without. I had the same pair of trainers for two years.

Can beat this - my trainers are coming up to 4yr!! I save loo visits to, have breakfast at work - steal the bosses rice krispies and milk!

:A
    Looking for solutions and hoping for a miracle!
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Letting my OH trim my hair to save money on haircuts seems fairly drastic to me! Am I wrong? Who else would do this?

Well, I cut the OH's all the time, he hasn't been to a hairdressers in over a year now. I'm getting better at it bit by bit. He won't cut mine, so I let mine grow long enough that I can pull it around and cut my own. He does dye mine now, with henna, and he's pretty good too.

I didn't really see this as drastic at all though, just another one of the things I'm too tightassed to pay for :rotfl:
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Try this - when you think your toothpaste is empty, cut off the bottom - you will be surprised how much is left inside! Try not to skimp though - side effects can have dire effect on any close relationships!
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    susan10 wrote: »
    1. I took one toilett paper roll every day from my workplace or local caffe.During months it has saved me a good 100 pounds.
    2.I took all the cleaning sprays from my workplace as well :A (they do nastier things to customers)
    3.I stock up on ownbrand cheese, rice, pasta,potato, porridge ...So I did not have to attend shops every day, in this way I could avoid the temptation
    4. I went to my optician and asked for free contactlenses (1 months supply) they gave them, but I think it is easier if you ask for 1 weeks from 4 opticians.
    5. When I go out occasionally ( I am 24) I pick up half drank glasses on tables and look glam for free.
    6.I smoke good quality hungarian cigarettes, each boxes for 1 pound (even marlboro light)
    7.I take 40 copy papers every week from my workplace.
    8.I always ask for a discount everywhere even on food.
    9. No haircuts for years
    10. I wear my mothers clothes
    11.I walk everywhere I can.
    12.I spend 10 pounds on food per week. I am vegetarian, that makes things a lot cheaper.
    13.WHENEVER I PASS A CORNER SHOP OR ICECREAM CAR I ALWAYS ASK FOR A FREE MARS OR 99C. 9 OUT OF 10 TIMES I GET THE THINGS.Even Paris hilton did this when she was forced to live on no money in a reality show.You can apply this to every shop and resturant if you can act a little.YOu just need to explain your situation (u r a student, in dept...) people are always willing to help you. Most of the people in restaurants are not the business owners so they are not so hard hearted.
    OneSpike wrote: »
    Following on from using disposable facial wipes to clean the bathroom, lately after I've used them to dust or whatever I then wash them and use them as hankies. I don't buy tissues, and have for the last couple of years been using DD's old muslin squares she had as a baby. I cut them up to use as hankies and general rags and they're brilliant, but one by one they've gone walkabout and I've been thinking I should buy some more, but these wipes are fantastic - very soft, very strong. Even if they only last a few goes through the wash they're doing a great job, and anything's better than throwing something away!

Is these threads serious, or simply full of Viz-esque top tips?!

There are some big moral and personal hygiene issues being raised in my mind. A lot of theft from workplaces going on as well...
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport