»

What is the most drastic money making or money saving thing you've done?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

What is the most drastic money making or money saving thing you've done?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
77 replies 17.8K views
SkintMonkeySkintMonkey Forumite
830 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
I was just wondering what extreme things people have done to save or make money. My friend went through a phase of only showering at the local leisure centre when he went swimming (?) and another time he saved up his toilet visits for when he was at work or around friends so he used their loo roll!

A neighbour of mine sold all his CDs and DVDs (he had a large collection which he had been nurturing for years) as he couldn't stand being in the red all the time. He made a packet!

I'm thinking about it, but not sure if I've done anything particularly extreme...!
threadbanner.gif

Replies

• ImeldaImelda Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Skintmonkey,

I'm the same, I don't think I have done anything particularly extreme, I have practically moved in with my OH though as I was worried about putting my heating on and he is worried about me being cold!
    I wear trainers to and from work to save the heels on my shoes (was having to reheel them every 2/3 weeks @ £6 a time) and I have grown my hair long to save on expensive haircuts (and for a 26 year old female this is extreme!).
    I have drastically reduced my food bill but not to the extent that I go without. I am happy with my current level of debt repayment and so I am not going to cut down further but it is good to know that if I needed to I could trim at least £100 from my SOA.
    Saving for an early retirement!
  • I claimed the charges back on my mortgage. No hair cuts.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• lenileni Forumite
    937 posts
    took up Mystery Shopping
    Joined Quidco and Pigsback and am now obsessed with getting the best deal and best cashback
    Trying to eat less takeaways
    Every spare penny I make comes off teh debt rather than being spent on takeaways and clothes

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j
  • Most drastic____I cut up all the cards, all my lifelines and went without. I had the same pair of trainers for two years.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• no hair cuts

sometimes I dont eat during the day - or just survive on toast.

I wont put the heating on during the day - wear multi-layers - think michelin man lol

OH refuses to charge his mobile at home always does it at work.

theres so many - I could go on forever
    August 2009 grocery challenge £172.64/,,,,,

no point in doing grocery challenges, have no money left over to eat :0/
  • I had the same pair of trainers for two years.

lol - my OH still has a pair from when we first met - in 1982 lol he wears them for doing the painting or working on the car.

• pudding06 wrote:
    lol - my OH still has a pair from when we first met - in 1982 lol he wears them for doing the painting or working on the car.

Where did he get them from!? Even if they were expensive, in the long run any pair of 24 year old trainers is incredible and very good value!

I couldn't quite have done that though, my feet have grown since I was born! lol

Cheers

Steve
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
  • God knows and I've tried so many times to get rid of them but he always fishes them out of the bin lol

seems to have a sixth sense about them

pudds

• cathybirdcathybird Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    refrained from having children? .... :confused:

actually this sort of happened for other reasons but one of the effects is that it has saved me money :rotfl: :o :rotfl:
    10 in Save 12K: £1,708.09/£12K. MNSDs: 11/10 Tilly: £997.80
    March AFDs: 21/21 2020 AFDs: 78/260 D: 46 2019: 310/260
  • cheese and pickle toasties for every meal!