PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• minerva_windsong
    Options
    mrspauper wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to join this challenge. Our household is me, husband, 18 month daughter, two cats and a dog. I can't seem to get our household spend below £100 a WEEK which, looking at other people's targets, is far far far too much for 2 1/2 people! This includes petfood, toiletries, household products and beer/wine. But it doesn't include meat or eggs as we have our own animals. I plan all our meals and make everything from scratch so I'd really appreciate any advice from other posters!
    Our meals this week are: lasagne & salad (will last two days); homemade burritos; homemade pizza & salad; steak, home-made chips and salad; baked potatoes, egg mayo and brocolli. We're invited out on Sunday. I also make bread for my husband's pieces, also some choc muffins and carrot cake for his tea breaks. DD and I have homemade soup or sandwich for lunch, and we usually have muesli or toast for breakfast. I don't think this is excessively luxurious food - the meat is all from the freezer - but when I went to the supermarket to get what I need for the week it was £100!
    I think one problem is that we live in a very remote area. Our supermarket (30 mile round trip) is really small and hardly stocks any value/own brand products. The next nearest supermarket is 140 mile round trip so any savings I make on food, I spend on diesel. But four years ago I only spend £100 a MONTH on our grocery bill, and I can't put this all down to food inflation. I usually spend £15/week on a case of beer and bottle of wine but this is non-negotiable with my husband and it's cheaper than him going to the pub. We usually have two veggie days a week.
    Anyway, enough rambling. I'm going to aim to spend £300 in April which I know is too much but it's a start! I look forward to learning from the rest of you!

I presume you've already tried this, but could you get a delivery from the supermarket in your area? As that might give you more choice on the cheaper products. Or alternatively could you share the drive to the big supermarket with any neighbours?
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Pink, rosieben and MRSMC - for getting us going again.:A

Welcome to all the newbies, you'll love it here.:D

£65.86 spent already from April GC as I've been to Lid!. Mrm's and Ice!and. I've also got a delivery from DR coming but I paid for that out of March GC.

Dinner tonight is HM chicken soup, using carcass from Sunday's roast, then I bought a Gammon Hock from MrM's, having that with Jacket spuds with cheese and beans. Shall keep the "stock" from boiling the Hock and make some more soup tomorrow.;)
    mrspauper wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to join this challenge. Our household is me, husband, 18 month daughter, two cats and a dog. I can't seem to get our household spend below £100 a WEEK which, looking at other people's targets, is far far far too much for 2 1/2 people! This includes petfood, toiletries, household products and beer/wine. But it doesn't include meat or eggs as we have our own animals. I plan all our meals and make everything from scratch so I'd really appreciate any advice from other posters!
    Our meals this week are: lasagne & salad (will last two days); homemade burritos; homemade pizza & salad; steak, home-made chips and salad; baked potatoes, egg mayo and brocolli. We're invited out on Sunday. I also make bread for my husband's pieces, also some choc muffins and carrot cake for his tea breaks. DD and I have homemade soup or sandwich for lunch, and we usually have muesli or toast for breakfast. I don't think this is excessively luxurious food - the meat is all from the freezer - but when I went to the supermarket to get what I need for the week it was £100!
    I think one problem is that we live in a very remote area. Our supermarket (30 mile round trip) is really small and hardly stocks any value/own brand products. The next nearest supermarket is 140 mile round trip so any savings I make on food, I spend on diesel. But four years ago I only spend £100 a MONTH on our grocery bill, and I can't put this all down to food inflation. I usually spend £15/week on a case of beer and bottle of wine but this is non-negotiable with my husband and it's cheaper than him going to the pub. We usually have two veggie days a week.
    Anyway, enough rambling. I'm going to aim to spend £300 in April which I know is too much but it's a start! I look forward to learning from the rest of you!

mrspauper - firstly a big welcome. Looks like you are doing all the right things with cooking from scratch, breadmaking etc, only thing I can suggest is to post on here what a typical week's shopping consists of and see if anyone can help with ideas.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• mrspauper
    Options
    Thanks Minerva. Unfortunately no supermarkets deliver to our area. But, if my mum is going to the town with the big supermarket I always cadge a lift with her!
    At the end of the week, I'll list my shopping list and exactly what we ate and see if anyone has any ideas on how we can cut down.
  • sveika
    sveika Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    £80 for April please!
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I please be included for £160?
    Have been doing well in March but need to stock up a bit. This will include DSS coming for one week.
    Good luck all! Can't believe it's April already!
    W
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the thread - especially Pink, MrsM and Rosieben

Helenjelly - I always think that would be true for me and Costco so glad someone else I trust has confirmed.

Please put Hex2 down for £400 for April

Household has reduced by one veggie so this should be manageable. That said I need pet food top up. meat in the freezer and we have a long Easter break.

Best thing I did in March was change milk supplier to the 'new' local milkman who does an enormous £13 a week mixed F&V box from the local wholesale market, and milk is cheaper too. Excellent value, much better than the milk&more one. Details here for anyone local to Leics - scroll down for the contents of the box. I was spending £18 on A&C plus buying fruit so a result.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread. :) Could I please put my budget at £250 for this April? This will include everything except entertaining for DH and I.

Thanks,

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • castri09_2
    castri09_2 Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    can you put me down for £100 please hope to try and use up what i have in the cupboards and freezers i think i have enough to last a few months just need to buy veg fruit bread and milk
    :j
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    wow April thread already we will be half way through the year soon :eek:
    Thanks to pink, rosieben and mrs mccawber who run this thread brilliantly :T
    Im def going to try harder this month and going to get meal plans sorted to see us through the easter hols when the kids seem to eat more.
    First spend of April today £10.20 in m&s, i shouldnt need nothing now till the weekly shop which will prob be Sat and instead of using mr t i will be going to mr m as i found them cheaper :)
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Please can you put me down for £50.00 for April. Thanks!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport