»

Real Life MMD: Should I refund the postage cost?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Real Life MMD: Should I refund the postage cost?

235 replies 33.7K views
Former_MSE_LeeFormer_MSE_Lee Former Editorial Assistant
343 posts
Should I refund the postage cost?

I sold an item on eBay and charged £5 P&P. The buyer's address was just 2 miles from me, so I jumped in the car and delivered it in person. I then received an email from the buyer asking for a postage refund. I pointed out he'd had a better service & the cost to me had been the same (petrol). He disagreed and left bad feedback that he had been 'ripped off' on postage. Should I refund him?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Replies

• MrsWassireMrsWassire Forumite
    204 posts
    What car do you drive that costs you £5 for a 4-mile round trip? That's about 1 mile per litre! Assuming your car is not as inefficient is that then yes I think you're being cheeky and should refund £3 of it.
    *Insert interesting words here*
  • mayling03mayling03 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    I don't think you should. Negative feedback can't be taken away even if you do right? I think buyer is trying it on. Is he a regular ebayer? What's his feedback like? Seems unreasonable to me.
  • flashg67flashg67 Forumite
    3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrsWassire wrote: »
    What car do you drive that costs you £5 for a 4-mile round trip? That's about 1 mile per litre! Assuming your car is not as inefficient is that then yes I think you're being cheeky and should refund £3 of it.

What about time spent delivering and presumably getting the item more quickly?

Perhaps an email first asking if personal delivery was Ok first might have helped, but if they're mean enough to leave bad feedback (was it a neg tho?) without giving the OP a chance then, depending on my overall feedback, I'd probably not refund.
  • mayling03mayling03 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Yes agree with flashg67 in that you should have checked personal delivery was ok. Regarding how much it has cost you, I don't think this is the point. Some ebayers charge more for postage (so they can set a lower starting figure) and its not dependant on how much they actually spend.
  • hermumhermum Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought something & the seller emailed to say they were coming to my town a couple of days later & they would deliver it to me at a certain time if I was going to be in. To get to where he was going meant driving past my front door. I was happy with the price I paid & wouldn't have expected any discount on the postage.
    It was better than RM as he gave me an approximate time that he would deliver.
  • teebteeb Forumite
    392 posts
    It's never mentioned what the item is. If it's bulky or fragile, then envelopes / boxing / tape / bubble wrap and so on could easily mount up to at least a couple of pounds.

As for the postage costs, it's true that you didn't have to pay Royal Mail, but it's also true that the buyer got his package much faster than he would reasonably be expecting.

If I were in the seller's shoes, I would probably refund a pound or two and put an explanatory note in the feedback, setting out my reasoning.
  • gettitongettiton Forumite
    11 posts
    i think you should have done a partial refund as dropping it off was cheaper and fast all round! but now you have the neg why bother... all is done!
  • MrsWassireMrsWassire Forumite
    204 posts
    Probably took less time to deliver it than to stand in a post office queue... I was going by what the MMD says - that the seller told the buyer it had cost him the same amount (petrol) when this is clearly not the case! And that may be why the buyer is miffed?
    *Insert interesting words here*
  • I've previously sold on ebay and delivered it in person after charging postage, the buyer was very happy to receive it so quickly and posted positive feedback.
  • No, You delivered the package exactly as promised.

He paid the price quoted, let it go, some people are never happy!

Rob
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support