Real Life MMD: Should I refund the postage cost?

Comments

• XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If they didn't want to pay for postage, they should have collected it!
  • There is a facility to respond to bad reviews on Ebay and it's worth adding your own comment after the buyer's.

He contracted to buy at £5 delivery, he paid £5 and he got it delivered. It was entirely your luck that he lived so close by. Also, assuming you used Paypal, it will cost you some of that £3 you "should" be returning just for the privelege of sending it.

I have a problem with some money-making delivery charges including those on Ebay, but if £5 was reasonable for packaging and postal charges, then don't be ashamed of having saved money by getting it there more cheaply. I think the Moneysavingexpert would be proud of you!
  • james01_2
    james01_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    No. No No.

You should defiantly not refund any of the charge. The customer has received the item in double quick time.
    With some people on ebay they seem to look for a reason to complain.
    As said before, with him already leaving neg feedback you have nothing to gain by refunding now, I would suggest that if you have not done so that you reply to the neg feedback with an explanation though.
  • misterfish
    misterfish Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your Ebay listing showed £5 for delivery - the cost of getting the itme from you to the buyer.

The buyer paid the final amount on the basis that they would not have to collect the item but that it would be delivered to them.

In this case the item was delieverd to them as expected. Your costs for time, fuel. wear and tear on your vehicle as well of use of the vehicle seem perfectly fair.

I've had sellers personally deliver items in the past and have considered it a bonus.

The buyer is completely out of order - they bid on the item on the basis that the final price plus the necessary packaging and delivery charge was what they were willing to pay. You didn't offer free delivery, you offered delivery at a stated price.

Misterfish
  • Come on people, this is the real world. When you buy off ebay, which I do a lot, the postage cost on its own is irrelevant - buyers such as myself just add this to the item cost to decide if they want to buy or not. The choice is theirs BEFORE they buy. Inflated "postage" costs are not the preserve of ebay -commercial enterprises do it all the time to lower the unit price of the item they are selling. Anyone who fails to add the two together is frankly a bit simple.

Therefore, your moaning Minnie will have done exactly that and to now complain he has deen dupped proves he is trying it on. If he didn't like the cost listed as "postage" he should not have bought. Simple!

As to all those who are offended and think deliveries can be made for less than £1 per mile I can find them plenty of work in their own vehicles paying for their own fuel, servicing, tyres and depreciation etc not to mention their time packing and out on delivery.

And finally to the poster who states he would be annoyed if 2nd class postage had been paid for but the package was delivered by more expensive 1st class recorded delivery, takes the biscuit.
    Seems you cannot win - provide a better service and you get criticised. Buy off me and I will make sure you item is posted in Durness, Scotland so you get the 2nd class delivery you want.
  • He paid to have the goods delivered - and they were. It doesn't matter how they arrived so tell him to get lost.
  • scottm2008
    scottm2008 Posts: 12 Forumite
    XRAT wrote: »
    If they didn't want to pay for postage, they should have collected it!

Were they offered the option of collection?
  • scottm2008
    He paid to have the goods delivered - and they were. It doesn't matter how they arrived so tell him to get lost.

It does matter. The guy has been overcharged for a service he DID NOT know about. Not fair

Your opinion is strange considering the type of forum we're on...
  • scottm2008
    If you were such a short distance away then why didn't you offer to let them pick it up for free? Same difference to you (IF you weren't making anything extra from it)
  • Also, assuming you used Paypal, it will cost you some of that £3 you "should" be returning just for the privelege of sending it.
    If you go to the transaction in paypal, you can do a partial refund, which also refunds you the portion of fee this involves too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure