PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap Cake Recipes?

Options

Comments

• lally666young
    Options
    I must admit that I do like Aldi biccies and some of them have gone down in price. The problem is I cant eat a lot of them as I get really ill. But somes as I have found out, it is often cheaper to buy to the budget brands then to make them. Also Like i have said in a previous thread you can still have your cake, even if it is a cornflake cake made with value chocolate and value cornflakes, plus you only need to buy a bag of cornflakes once every 3 weeks. But more if you have little ones. But good luck.
    Has anyone seen my last marble:A:A:A:A
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.LZ member Soylent Green Supervisor
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Durrrrrr, I hadn't costed in the use of big oven - tho I do have a Remoska and could use it.
    They are building a new Aldi (or is it Lidl) near here as I type - formerly the nearest one was too far to get to economically. I can't wait for it to open !!!! Thanks for good ideas....
  • pennypusher
    pennypusher Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about making some little fruit cakes or flapjacks. They would be nice and fairly cheap especially if you already have some fruit.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I have stopped buying cakes and make muffins and flapjack. Someone else on the OS forum gave me this link for carrot and apple muffins

http://www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/4159-New-improved-carrot-and-apple-muffins

I was a bit dubious as I am not a great cook :o and had never made cakes with oil instead of butter, but they were lovely. I didnt have any nutmeg so left it out and I didnt bother with the creamy icing.

Today I substituted 4 ripe mashed bananas instead of the apple and carrot, and made banana muffins and they are nom nom.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I made a batch of Belgian buns last week, they work out really cheap. All you need is a 500g bread recipe with extra sugar, (although I added an egg too but it's not essential), optional lemon curd, some dried fruit and a bit of icing sugar for the icing, I don't bother with the cherry on top to make them more MSE. Alternatively hake it with a bit of cinnamon or mixed spice with the fruit and a syrup glaze.

I made 12 buns for about £1, baked 4, and put the rest in the freezer for during the week.

I also make the cookie dough roll and keep it in the fridge. One of the best chocolates I have found for cakes and biscuits if Sainsbury's basics, 35p for 100g in milk, dark and white.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Alison_Funnell
    Options
    Twinks cost about 75p to make one batch, although this is assuming you use all value/basic ingredients. If you were to use something more expensive (e.g. butter instead of margarine) it will end up costing more. And whether this is more or less than you pay for biscuits depends on how long they last you compared to the packet ones and what price you pay for those.

I sometimes make the tea loaf recipe that's on here somewhere (I'll try and dig up a link) and it's cheap because there's no butter or eggs. Makes a nice and filling snack. Might have to make some when the current snacks run out, yum.

ETA: Found the recipe. I use mixed dried fruit instead of currants. Super simple!

I use sultanas, raisins or dates to make this tealoaf. I soak the fruit in hot water then blitz to a puree, add flour, spices(cinnamon, or ginger I use) and half the sugar in the recipe. Makes a lovely cake that is lovely. Even better after a day or so.
    Put the kettle on. ;)
  • annelouise_2
    Options
    To a basic homebrand dried cake mix I make the following -

Orange and poppy seed - add 1 tsp orange zest ,1 tsp poppy seeds.

Choc chip - small cup if choc chips or grated chocolate

Lemon drizzle - 1 tbspn lemon curd,drizzle icing sugar made with lemon juice over whilst still warm

Cranberry and white chocolate - 2 tbsp dried cranberries or alternative dried fruit and small cup white choc chips or grated chocolate

Banana and walnut - 1 small smashed banana and 1 tbsp crushed walnuts

See how easy it is.I usually get 12-14 buns from the basic packet mix and regularly do 1/2 and 1/2 mixture and they freeze beautifully to pop in lunchboxes.

:T
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • annelouise_2
    Options
    Easy peasy -

1 cup condensed milk
    1/2 cup peanut butter - smooth ,crunchy or whole nut
    3 cups cornflakes or rice crispies

Combine milk and peanut butter before adding cereal.

Place spoonfuls on a paper lined oven tray and bake in 180 degree oven for 15 - 18mins

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's you off my Christmas card list - my shopping list just doubled in length!

Harrumph!

;)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I find Asda smart price victoria sponge tastes fine, and is about 17p a bag. It doesn't make a big cake, but only needs an egg. We make fairy cakes with it, for the tots. Most of it ends up in crumbs on the floor anyway :rotfl:

I don't mind the cheap biccies it means I eat less of them!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family