PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap Cake Recipes?

Options

Comments

• Hannah2
    Hannah2 Posts: 281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    needtowin wrote: »
    Hi I've just tried this....I was bored and had ingredients in cupboard.....for a change!.... thanks sparkly fairy they are yummy!!!
    HARRY BIKERS QUICK AFTER SCHOOL BISCUITS
    4 oz flour
    3 oz sugar
    2 oz butter
    Put all the ingredients in a bowl and rub together. Form a stiff dough.
    Roll into a sausage then cut into rounds.
    Put on a greased baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes at 160-170 DEGREES

Hi, just tried to make these after school biscuits but I have ended up with crumble crumb and not a stiff dough! It deffinitely will not stay formed as a sausage - it just crumbles!

Is there something missing off the recipie? should I not have "rubbed" the ingredients together?

Any help appreciated - I wanted some biscuits and dont have anything in the freezer to make a crumble with!!!

TIA
  • Burp_2
    Burp_2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    This was a recipe we used to make with the little ones when I worked in a playgroup years ago. It uses no butter;

Playgroup applecake:

Weigh 2 eggs, note the weight. Crack the eggs into a bowl, then add the same weight (as noted down) of sugar and beat till slightly thickened. The fold in the same weight of self raising flour. Pour into a greased tin. The one I use is about 7 inches square, but you can use a round one if that is what you have - like one half of a set of sandwich tins.

Then cut up a couple of small apples (the tired looking ones left over in the fruit bowl, that nobody wants to eat are fine - cut off any bruised bits). You can peel them if you like, but don't have to. Remove the cores, obviously. Arrange the bits of apple on top of the cake mix, then bake at 180 degrees or gas 4 until risen and golden.

The little ones used to love to make this - there is lots of learning involved, in the weighing, talking about the ingredients, healthy food etc, the motor skills involved in beating, folding, greasing the tin, learning that the oven is hot and they must not touch (bless, some of them didn't seem to have any experience of cooking being done at home, or maybe they were just kept well away). And they loved eating it at break time with their milk!

You can also serve this as a pudding with custard or ice cream.

Ooh I like the sound of this!!

I teach Year 1 (5&6 year olds) and there is often a lot of fruit left over on a Friday ... Playgroup cake sounds great! I'm sure we have rules and regulations about using real eggs (due to salmonella!) will have to ask the Head if I can make this with them

Burp x
  • Liz_M
    Liz_M Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, just found this thread while browsing and there's quite a few things I like the sound of so may well start baking more!

The idea for a rocky road style tray fridge cake sounds good to be but if I make one to use up things that are slightly past their best will it still taste ok? I have a few mini marshmallows that have gone a little bit dry lurking in the bottom of their plastic tub (not completely solid or anything though!) and a packet of cheapo white chocolate buttons i bougt to decorate a cake but they were on offer 3 for 2, and the last pack has gone past it's best before - but only by a month or 2. I probably have some biscuits in the bottom of the tin that have softened slightly, and some cereal I got as a freebie but didn't really like on it's own - if I mix all this up with some chocolate am I going to end up with something stale tasting or will the chocolate revive it all a bit? Also do you think it would be ok to do it in sandwich tins and cut it up into wedges? I have a baking tray but it's quite shallow and don't really want to buy a deeper tray at the moment - I will do eventually but I'm between houses at the moment so staying with family and trying not to clog up their kitchen with bits and bobs for me to cook with!
  • doodoot
    doodoot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    Hannah2 wrote: »
    Hi, just tried to make these after school biscuits but I have ended up with crumble crumb and not a stiff dough! It deffinitely will not stay formed as a sausage - it just crumbles!

Is there something missing off the recipie? should I not have "rubbed" the ingredients together?

Any help appreciated - I wanted some biscuits and dont have anything in the freezer to make a crumble with!!!

TIA

Hope that you kept it in the fridge!

You probably just need to add some extra butter to bind it all together.

Flour is a fickle substance and some makes will need less/more liquid/butter than others.

Off to make some>>>
    Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage.
  • Hannah2
    Options
    doodoot wrote: »
    Hope that you kept it in the fridge!

You probably just need to add some extra butter to bind it all together.

Flour is a fickle substance and some makes will need less/more liquid/butter than others.

Off to make some>>>

I froze it ready for a crumble when I get some apples! It has more sugar in it than I would use if doing a crumble but rather that than waste it!

Made some home made hob nobs instead!

Yummy!

Please let me know how you got on with the after school biscuits!
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Blackhill wrote: »
    I would rather bake with stork (and it still tastes far better than cheap shop bought) and know what goes into it. It has to be the very cheapest ingredients along with chemicals to sell it at the price they do. I don't think it's a waste of my time to bake with stork, it even is a little lower in fat content.

I get a bit confused with those marges, because you have hard marg in wrapped in blocks & soft marg in tubs.
    Is one for cakes & one for pastry?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mum swears by block Stork (and swears AT pretty much everything else) :)

I'm a bit more flexible but still prefer block Stork.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • radiohelen
    Options
    Those after school biscuits are the same recipe as my fork biscuits and you just have to keep mixing. Eventually, the oil in the butter will get warm enough and bind all the flour together. It takes longer than you think it's going to. Squidge it about with your hands to use the warmth in them if necessary.
    HTH
    Well behaved women rarely make history.
  • Hannah2
    Options
    radiohelen wrote: »
    Those after school biscuits are the same recipe as my fork biscuits and you just have to keep mixing. Eventually, the oil in the butter will get warm enough and bind all the flour together. It takes longer than you think it's going to. Squidge it about with your hands to use the warmth in them if necessary.
    HTH

Ahh, ok, well I will try them another time - I guess the kitchen was quite cold and the butter was not warmed so that could be it.

Thanks
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just read through this whole thread, thanks everyone who posted. Have copied some to try. I fancy 'having a go' at Grimswifie's teabread tomorrow and wondered if anyone had tried using flavoured teas in it? (I've currently got ginger or lemon tea and thought they might be nice) Does it all soak into the fruit, and if not, do you just empty it all into the mix? and as someone else asked, do you replace the fruit with bananas, or is it ok to use both? (Thinking tea and bananas... yuck!) Sorry, loads of questions. I can't resist fiddling with recipes and have some stem ginger that might just end up in the mix too! Thanks for any advice :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure