PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheap Cake Recipes?

Options

Comments

• camNolliesMUMMY
    Options
    I have two bags of asda sponge mix I nabbed from my mum as she said she won't get round to using them, il make jam donut muffins out of it later for ds and oh launch boxes for the week.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Chocolate cake

1.5 cups flour
    1/3 of a cup of cocoa (or drinking chocolate)
    1 tsp baking powder or bicarb
    0.5 tsp salt
    1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cider vinegar
    1 cup warm water

mix all together bake in 180o oven for 25 mins - top with whatever you like - very moist cake

no butter and no eggs so cheap to make keeps for ages
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get loads of nice recipes here, but I just wanted to suggest that you look into war time or depression era recipes. Many of them will use oil instead of butter, minimal eggs and little milk. They may not be the healthiest baked goods but they tend to be economical to make.

However, I have to second the suggestion of Lidl or Aldi, whenever your local is built. I love to bake, have many of my great grandmother's depression era recipes and still find I can't beat the price of their sweet treats.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made a batch of Belgian buns last week, they work out really cheap. All you need is a 500g bread recipe with extra sugar, (although I added an egg too but it's not essential), optional lemon curd, some dried fruit and a bit of icing sugar for the icing, I don't bother with the cherry on top to make them more MSE. Alternatively hake it with a bit of cinnamon or mixed spice with the fruit and a syrup glaze.

I made 12 buns for about £1, baked 4, and put the rest in the freezer for during the week.

Do you have a recipe for these please? Do they taste like the supermarket Belgian buns? OH loves them but the prices have rocketed up, costs as much for a single one as it used to for a double pack (which is about as much as it costs you to make 12!). Do you freeze them pre-cooked, do you know if they could be frozen fully baked/iced?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi there, I used the following bread maker recipe and made the dough in my BM

1 cup milk
    1/4 cup butter
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1sp salt
    3 3/4 cups of bread flour
    2 tsp dried yeast

about 2 tbs lemon curd (I used sainsburys basics)
    100g sultanas

Make the dough as normal up to the last knock back. Roll out in to a rectangle the size of a swiss roll tin, about 1cm deep, smear with lemon curd leaving an each clear along a long side, sprinkle with sultanas, roll up and seal edge with water. Slice into 12 whirls. Leave to rise to double the size.

At this point I left 4 for the final rise and wrapped the remainder individually and popped them in the freezer.

Heat oven to 220, bake for 10-15 mins, as it's a sweeter dough it comes out quite dark.

Once cool smack on a bit of icing. They came out a decent size and tasted just as good as shop ones and better than some of the bakers ones that just you plain bread dough

When I cooked the ones that had been frozen I left them to defrost which takes about 1 1/2 hours, then left them to rise. They didn't come out quite so big as the fresh ones, but were just as moist and tasty.

HTH
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    natlie wrote: »
    Hi
    Chocolate cake

1.5 cups flour
    1/3 of a cup of cocoa (or drinking chocolate)
    1 tsp baking powder or bicarb
    0.5 tsp salt
    1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cider vinegar
    1 cup warm water

mix all together bake in 180o oven for 25 mins - top with whatever you like - very moist cake

no butter and no eggs so cheap to make keeps for ages

Hi this looks realloy yummy but a quick question is it plain flour or SR flour - sorry only just started baking ( only made tea loaf so far ;) )
    and have you got any tips for topping .... i do have some philly with chocolate if i can use that any way ??
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aldi's biscuits are very cheap, and most of them are vegan too :)

Vegan cakes are normally cheaper than cakes made with butter and eggs. My favourite cake recipe recently is for an orange cake. It's very similar to natlie's.

1.5 cups flour
    .5 cups sugar
    1 tsp bicarb
    .5 tsp salt

mix, then add:

1 cup orange juice
    1/3 cup oil

I bake this in a tray alongside other things for half an hour at 180. Normally I add half a cup of ground almonds (cheapest I can find are in Aldi). I shave the zest off some oranges, chop up and add to the mix, and use their juice, but I replace some of it with orange liqueur or amaretto, and I use olive oil instead of ordinary veg oil. But it's not particularly cheap after all of these changes (it is before!)

Doughnuts can be very cheap, too!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with our cheap cake recipe thread

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    did this recipe as 12 muffins this morning, very nice.

carrot and banana cake

Ingredients
    Serves:!16
    • 5 tablespoons!olive oil
    • 125g!sugar
    • 2!eggs
    • 250g!plain flour
    • 1 teaspoon!bicarbonate of soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon!salt
    • 1 teaspoon!ground cinnamon
    • 150g!mashed ripe bananas
    • 120g!grated carrots
    • 50g!chopped walnuts (optional)

Preparation method
    Prep:!10 mins |!Cook:!55 mins!|!Extra time:!10 mins, cooling

Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin.

In a bowl, combine oil and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Combine flour, bicarb, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to the oil and egg mixture alternately with bananas. Stir in carrots and nuts, if using.

Tip into the prepared tin and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tin to a wire rack to cool completely.

Substitution
    Feel free to use rapeseed, sunflower or vegetable oil instead of olive oil in this recipe.

Pasted from <http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23560/carrot-banana-cake.aspx&gt;

I made this yesterday to use up some sad looking carrots and bananas.It turned out really well;moist and not too sweet.:).
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    did this recipe as 12 muffins this morning, very nice.

carrot and banana cake

Ingredients
    Serves:!16
    • 5 tablespoons!olive oil
    • 125g!sugar
    • 2!eggs
    • 250g!plain flour
    • 1 teaspoon!bicarbonate of soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon!salt
    • 1 teaspoon!ground cinnamon
    • 150g!mashed ripe bananas
    • 120g!grated carrots
    • 50g!chopped walnuts (optional)

Preparation method
    Prep:!10 mins |!Cook:!55 mins!|!Extra time:!10 mins, cooling

Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin.

In a bowl, combine oil and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Combine flour, bicarb, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to the oil and egg mixture alternately with bananas. Stir in carrots and nuts, if using.

Tip into the prepared tin and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tin to a wire rack to cool completely.

Substitution
    Feel free to use rapeseed, sunflower or vegetable oil instead of olive oil in this recipe.

Pasted from <http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23560/carrot-banana-cake.aspx&gt;

Sounds yummy! For how many minutes did you bake the muffins?
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons: 22 spent, 44 remain.
    4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
    4 coupons - 2 x 100g WYS Signature Sock
    14 coupons - summer coat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business