PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap Cake Recipes?

Options

Comments

• needtowin
    needtowin Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I've just tried this....I was bored and had ingredients in cupboard.....for a change!.... thanks sparkly fairy they are yummy!!!
    HARRY BIKERS QUICK AFTER SCHOOL BISCUITS
    4 oz flour
    3 oz sugar
    2 oz butter
    Put all the ingredients in a bowl and rub together. Form a stiff dough.
    Roll into a sausage then cut into rounds.
    Put on a greased baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes at 160-170 DEGREES
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. ~Mark Twain :happyhear
    Love to win. Thank you to all who post!:beer:
    £147/£2012
    Gold - iPad Silver - hotel stay [STRIKE]bronze - vouchers[/STRIKE]
  • happilass
    happilass Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    i have just made the cake Grumswifie suggested and my DH loves it, thank you Grumswifie it is so easy to make, brilliant.
    Happi
  • shining_light
    Options
    Thanks Squeaky I will have a look for those next time I'm shopping
  • little_lil
    Options
    Not sure if this will work but I am considering icing a tea loaf to use as a Christmas cake. Only the OH likes proper xmas cake so we don't normally bother but as we all love the tea loaf I thought I would try and ice one. Worth a try!
  • cooking-mama
    Options
    Id love to try the tealoaf recipes,but my girls are not keen on raisins/sultanas...what substitute could i use?..definately gonna try the Hairy bikers school cookie things too,
    Does anyone have a recipe for healthy breakfast type bars(that dont include too much dried fruit),maybe get away with a wee drop apricots or possibly cranberries?Eldest normaly has a cereal bar on the bus to Uni,but these work out to be full of sugar and expensive.Thanks
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • LondonDreamer
    Options
    Id love to try the tealoaf recipes,but my girls are not keen on raisins/sultanas...what substitute could i use?..definately gonna try the Hairy bikers school cookie things too,
    Does anyone have a recipe for healthy breakfast type bars(that dont include too much dried fruit),maybe get away with a wee drop apricots or possibly cranberries?Eldest normaly has a cereal bar on the bus to Uni,but these work out to be full of sugar and expensive.Thanks

I sometimes use the mixed dried fruit that Mr T sell in their whole food line, it's a mix of raisins, cranberries, cherries and strawberries. I'm not a raisin fan but these aren't the regular dark raisins - they're a mix of light and green and taste much more fruity. It's more expensive than the standard mixed fruit but SO delicious! I think any dried fruit would work though, whatever your girls like. I'm tempted to try a fruit and nut mix next time myself.
  • louisaL
    louisaL Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can i just ask those you who have made the tea loaf does it have a very strong tea taste. i am eager to make it as it looks really easy and i love fruit loaf but i dont like tea (or coffee) :o alternatively is there anything else i could soak my fruit in? or do i not need to soak it in anything as the tea provides more of a flavour than a moisture?
  • LondonDreamer
    Options
    I don't particularly like tea, and don't notice a tea taste at all. But if you're really adverse to it, you could try using diluted apple juice or even just plain water as I think the tea is only there for moisture. You definitely need to soak it in something though, as the tea is the only moisture component.
  • Going4TheDream
    Options
    Teabread recipe without Tea!

http://www.cakebaker.co.uk/making-tea-breads.html

Infact lots of nice cakes on this site :-)
    Dont wait for your boat to come in 'Swim out and meet the bloody thing' ;)
  • louisaL
    louisaL Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you!

and those cakes certainly do look yummy!! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts