MSE News: Tesco alters 'price check' guarantee to close loophole

Options

Comments

• Money_Saving_Dude
    Options
    MoneySavingExpert.com money analyst Dan Plant says: "Tesco can obviously make any changes it likes to its own promotion.

"However, instead of watering down the deal, it would be nice to see Tesco reduce all prices to match Asda, rather than complain about people making money by using the original offer's terms and conditions."

Then go to Asda. And always go for the basic products. Just remember when dearer products taste 'better,' it's because they are full of salt and sugar.

Thank god for the EU -- it is because of EU legislation that supermarkets have to show unit prices. Looking at these I normally find Asda cheaper than both Tesco and Sainsbury.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 March 2011 at 12:43AM
    Options

Then go to Asda. And always go for the basic products. Just remember when dearer products taste 'better,' it's because they are full of salt and sugar.

I thought it was the other way around, they add more salt and sugar to basic stuff to hide the fact that they have put less of the more expensive ingredients in.

Thank god for the EU -- it is because of EU legislation that supermarkets have to show unit prices.

And it is because of the EU that they can confuse people with the unit price. They left it up to the producer to choose which units they put on the label.

So you can have one product that gives the unit price as per 100g, a similar product will give the unit price as per 1kg, and another product will give the unit price per each item.

The only people on here who say they look at the unit price fall into two categories. Those who are good at doing maths, and those who take a calculator, or have a calculator on their phone. The rest of us are just baffled by unit prices.

And at the end of the day most people buy stuff because it's what they want, not because it's the best value.

Take eggs, you need 2 eggs to bake a cake. But when you get to the shop you have a choice, a box of 6 eggs at 20p per egg, or a tray of 24 eggs at 15p per egg. What do you do? Buy the 6 eggs and get stuck with 4 eggs you didn't want, or buy the tray of 24 eggs, because they are better value, and get stuck with 22 eggs you didn't want?

Better still, just buy the flipping cake. My Mothers coming tomorrow and I want to give her cake. But when I get to the shop, a cake big enough for two people is 97p per 100g, but a cake big enough for 24 people is only 39p per 100g.

What do I do, buy the size of cake I need, or buy a much bigger one because it is better value per 100g?

Of course, I buy the bigger, better value cake, and freeze what my mother doesn't eat. Then I pay Southern Electric 1p per hour to keep it frozen for me. And when I defrost it and eat it, the total cost to me is £3.76 per 100g.
  • oakhouse13
    oakhouse13 Posts: 767 Forumite
    Options
    "Just remember when dearer products taste 'better,' it's because they are full of salt and sugar."

A budget version of a product such as apple sauce compared to a more expensive brand is likely to have worse dietary value, according to food labelling.

I would check the traffic light food labelling to find out if budget versus expensive has any effect on dietary value. It will vary by product in my view.
  • *Kat*
    *Kat* Posts: 1,829 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You know what, good. I'm glad it's been altered. I get this is a money saving forum, but people who were buying LOTS of products that they wouldn't originally purchase to gain profit was just a bit sleazy IMO.
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    *Kat* wrote: »
    You know what, good. I'm glad it's been altered. I get this is a money saving forum, but people who were buying LOTS of products that they wouldn't originally purchase to gain profit was just a bit sleazy IMO.

One woman's sleaze is another woman's nice little earner.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • *Kat*
    Options
    Oopsadaisy wrote: »
    One woman's sleaze is another woman's nice little earner.

True, true. Each to their own I guess. It's just a shame that the people using it for profit have actually undermined those who genuinely "deserved" it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

I agree - GREED makes me SICK which is why I never even went on the Asda / Tesco pricecheck thread ... I'd only get shot down for my views anyway but the truth is still the same!!!
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    True, true. Each to their own I guess. It's just a shame that the people using it for profit have actually undermined those who genuinely "deserved" it.

Except they haven't!!!!!!!!!...according to Mr T the changes won't affect Joe/Joanna Public since so few actually claimed more than £20 in any one shop or more than £100/month.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • Edindevon
    Edindevon Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oopsadaisy wrote: »
    Except they haven't!!!!!!!!!...according to Mr T the changes won't affect Joe/Joanna Public since so few actually claimed more than £20 in any one shop or more than £100/month.

I think this is absolutely correct.

While I can take on board the view that some people could be seen to have abused the original terms of the offer, the changes that Tesco have made in response won't in any way affect normal shoppers.

So there's nothing to make a fuss about unless you just want to have a go at a few people who took advantage of a loophole provided by a multinational company.

Edindevon
  • *Kat*
    Options
    It's just my opinion on it, I think it was more than a "few" people, else Tesco wouldn't have enforced this change in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure